Will I be the first BCBer to get their covid jab....?

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Hightea

Re: Will I be the first BCBer to get their covid jab....?

Postby Hightea » 30 Mar 2021, 17:21

one shot down - one to go!

Six String

Postby Six String » 30 Mar 2021, 19:33

Jimbly wrote:I'm looking forward to my third jab.

Hopefully Skope doesn’t find out. :o
This is not the year to think about what we don’t have.
It is the year we should be grateful for what we do have.

Six String

Postby Six String » 31 Mar 2021, 16:52

Yesterday about 24 hours after my second dose I started feeling crappy, i.e. muscle aches/weakness. I went to bed early and the symptoms were gone when I woke up this morning. It is one of the expected side effects so it wasn’t concerning and feeling bad for one day vs the virus is a small price to pay.

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 01 Apr 2021, 21:31

toomanyhatz wrote:California just announced 50+ can get vaxxed starting April 1st. Hopefully not an April Fool's Day joke.

I am signing up THE SECOND IT'S AVAILABLE.

I'm sure I can trust Bill Gates, Hillary Clinton, and Jeff Bezos when they say it's safe. :D

So I logged in to the site first thing(ish) this morning to see what was the first appointment I could get - got one for the J&J single dose on Saturday! Damn, wasn't expecting that.

Apparently it's not as good against potential variants as the two-dose ones, but the way I have it figured, they haven't really figured out what the variants are going to do - there might eventually be a booster shot needed anyway. So 'first chance' won out.
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2021?

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 01 Apr 2021, 21:53

Wise move.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 01 Apr 2021, 22:38

It's the right decision Hatz. Just get some of that drug in ya. I got me the J&J shot 2 weeks ago. I have no frigging idea whether I'm really protected or immune and if so it's 62% or 88%, but who really does know for sure? So I'm staying positive and optimistic that this one works, and will continue to catch up on news on further research. I can always get a Pfizer or Moderna or whatever else is going to come on the market later on. For sure I won't be shopping or traveling maskless until there are some sure signs this thing is losing the battle and that won't be for another couple of months at least. I'm still weary: I'm looking forward to going back to the gym but don't have enough confidence in any of the vaccines to do that with an acceptable level of comfort because I feel that's one of the top-3 places people get infected, along with churches and bars, There's no hope in hell I'll ever go to a church service and I'm not comfortable going to a bar either, so the gym is still off limits. A took a colleague to a sushi restaurant yesterday: they take your temperature at the door, you must wear a mask will moving around, waiters et al where masks all the time. It's pretty confronting. And all of the time I felt that my colleague across the table was too close for comfort. I think 1 year of social distancing has had more impact than I estimated.
There's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 02 Apr 2021, 09:46

I had jab 2 yesterday. I felt dodgy for an hour or two but fine now. I suspect the dodginess was unrelated to the jab.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos

Postby kath » 02 Apr 2021, 20:41

i had jab 2 this morning. i feel fine.

now it's just the male spawn here who needs jab 2.

Rorschach

Postby Rorschach » 02 Apr 2021, 21:44

As I've mentioned, people aged 60 to 65 are getting the Astrea Zeneca jab here in Spain and so myself and a few friends have had the first shot. Out of four of us, I'm the only one who hasn't been ill for a couple of days afterwards.
Bugger off.

kath

Postby kath » 02 Apr 2021, 22:01

i was moderna. chi chi, sam and gavin were pfizer. gavin felt sick after his first dose. i hope he'll be okay for the second.

but of course it is worth it.

Six String

Postby Six String » 02 Apr 2021, 22:16

So this is what a working president looks like?! :D

toomanyhatz

Postby toomanyhatz » 03 Apr 2021, 21:49

And done. Other than a slightly sore arm, all good so far.
Footy wrote:
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

toomanyhatz

Postby toomanyhatz » 05 Apr 2021, 00:25

Well, had chills and a low grade fever, and am generally out-of-sorts and have a low level headache today. Thought I'd beaten it, but right when I went to sleep, there it came.

Happy to not have to go through it again, though.
Footy wrote:

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 05 Apr 2021, 20:53

It's been 17 days since my wife and I had our J&J shots. In the past 2 weeks I've received 2 invites for the Pfizer vaccine. It got me thinking: should I take it? I don't know if it can do any harm to take 2 different vaccines, but first and foremost: is it ethical to do it? I don't think it is, so I probably won't do it. But still, I signed up and can get my first shot April 9th. I will cancel it, I think. I'm torn. Which it terrible! I shouldn't be. Yet I am. I'm a pretty bad person if I do it, but I'll also be a happier person when I do it. Or will I feel guilt? And if I do, who gives a shit?

Robert

Postby Robert » 05 Apr 2021, 22:10

mudshark wrote:It's been 17 days since my wife and I had our J&J shots. In the past 2 weeks I've received 2 invites for the Pfizer vaccine. It got me thinking: should I take it? I don't know if it can do any harm to take 2 different vaccines, but first and foremost: is it ethical to do it? I don't think it is, so I probably won't do it. But still, I signed up and can get my first shot April 9th. I will cancel it, I think. I'm torn. Which it terrible! I shouldn't be. Yet I am. I'm a pretty bad person if I do it, but I'll also be a happier person when I do it. Or will I feel guilt? And if I do, who gives a shit?

No doubt there’s some obscure Zappa recording where you can find find all the answers to your quest, Senator.

toomanyhatz

Postby toomanyhatz » 05 Apr 2021, 22:28

mudshark wrote:It's been 17 days since my wife and I had our J&J shots. In the past 2 weeks I've received 2 invites for the Pfizer vaccine. It got me thinking: should I take it? I don't know if it can do any harm to take 2 different vaccines, but first and foremost: is it ethical to do it? I don't think it is, so I probably won't do it. But still, I signed up and can get my first shot April 9th. I will cancel it, I think. I'm torn. Which it terrible! I shouldn't be. Yet I am. I'm a pretty bad person if I do it, but I'll also be a happier person when I do it. Or will I feel guilt? And if I do, who gives a shit?

The additional question I'd be asking is: will it afford any additional protection? Considering the J&J is supposed to be complete, I would think it would be minimal. Pfizer is rated slightly higher for efficacy, but on TOP of already having had the vaccine it might just be redundant. And I personally would not voluntarily go through the same side effects again (notwithstanding whether a booster is needed in the future to attack the variants, of course). And yeah, I would answer the question of whether not it's unethical with a 'yes' unless it's a vaccine that would go to waste otherwise (which, considering it's an invite and not a vaccine that's already been delivered, it's really not). Your guilt is your own business, but since you asked.

I wouldn't do it if I were you, but your arm & your life. (And your conscience too, for that matter ;) .)
Footy wrote:

kath

Postby kath » 05 Apr 2021, 22:36

Robert wrote:

No doubt there’s some obscure Zappa recording where you can find find all the answers to your quest, Senator.

mwhaha.

ZAPPA!

regarding the question at hand, i really don't know if it would add any extra protection. i would ask my sister, the MD in the household, but she's north of the lake trying to find appropriate tax forms. and she is not gonna be in a good mood when she gets back.

my best guess is that it wouldn't.

i would keep other precautions going for awhile (mask-wearing, social distancing) until things get much better. they will.

(starts singin 'dirty love' anyway.)

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 05 Apr 2021, 22:55

I don't need no consolation
I don't want your reservation
I only got one destination

Of course y'all are right. That shot needs to go into somebody else's arm and it will. What I'm trying to express is the thoughts the little devil puts in my head. And I don't think I can be blamed for having unethical thoughts after 14 months of fear and frustration. Hell, I know people that are in their thirties that had their shots 6-8 weeks ago because they pretended to have a pre-existing condition like COPD. I know it's wrong, but can you blame them? We are an egoistic species. And that there's this: I've had no side effects whatsoever and still no urge to buy multiple Microsoft products. Was I given a placebo?!?

toomanyhatz

Postby toomanyhatz » 05 Apr 2021, 23:19

I've heard SUCH a variety of experiences from others, that the most likely answer is you lucked out. Though supposedly the J&J has less side effects in general (as stated above, I thought I was in the clear until- BOOM!)

My mother - who's 88 - actually asked if her second shot was completed as she didn't feel a thing. But she's tough as nails in general - tougher than me with stuff like that for sure. Her arm was slightly sore after the first one, but nothing else.
Footy wrote:

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 05 Apr 2021, 23:30

Well, yeah. It could be 'me' too. I feel 'alright' as long as I don't pass out. I'm continuously in denial. Like George said: All Things Will Pass.
Look where that ray of fucking sunshine got him.