Trash paperbacks

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Trash paperbacks

Postby GoogaMooga » 20 Dec 2020, 06:30

Hello! And welcome to a new ongoing thread, where we can post our recent discoveries of collectable authors of trash paperbacks! You know, the books with lurid covers that never saw hardback!

Here's my latest discovery:

Berkley N2709 OPERATION: SUPER MS by ANDREW OFFUTT, 1974 1st Ed. (a pbo). Cover art by MEL CRAIR.

"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Re: Trash paperbacks

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 20 Dec 2020, 09:04

Look up the Hard Case Crime series.

Some big names have published under that banner.
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod

Fonz

Postby Fonz » 23 Dec 2020, 14:08

GoogaMooga wrote:Hello! And welcome to a new ongoing thread, where we can post our recent discoveries of collectable authors of trash paperbacks! You know, the books with lurid covers that never saw hardback!

Berkley N2709 OPERATION: SUPER MS by ANDREW OFFUTT, 1974 1st Ed. (a pbo). Cover art by MEL CRAIR.

Nice
Heyyyy!

"Fonz clearly has no fucks to give. I like the cut of his Cupicidal gib."

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 23 Dec 2020, 16:22

Fonz wrote:
GoogaMooga wrote:Hello! And welcome to a new ongoing thread, where we can post our recent discoveries of collectable authors of trash paperbacks! You know, the books with lurid covers that never saw hardback!

Nice

Yes but it’s sad how thin-in-top The Hulk has gone.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Fonz

Postby Fonz » 23 Dec 2020, 23:07

Deebank wrote:
Fonz wrote:

Nice

Lols!
Heyyyy!

Fonz

Postby Fonz » 23 Dec 2020, 23:13

Deebank wrote:
Fonz wrote:

Nice

Lols!
Heyyyy!

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 24 Dec 2020, 22:10

Guy N Smith, author and pipe-smoker, will forever be remembered for his Crabs series of horror novels starting with Night of the Crabs. He produced over 100 novels and short story collections and a series of non-fiction books on gamekeeping and shooting. He was a publisher and book dealer (as Black Hill Books).

amazon.co.uk:

The Welsh coast basks in summer tranquility. Then the 'drownings' begin. But not until monstrous crustaceans crawl ashore, their pincers poised for destruction, does the world understand the threat it faces. A seafood cocktail for the strongest stomachs. This is a reprint, by Black Hill Books, of the summer of '76 best seller, with the original cover artwork and introduction by the author.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 24 Dec 2020, 22:28

amazon.co.uk:

Professor Norman Saylor considered magic nothing more than superstition. Then he learned that his own wife was a practicing sorceress. But he still refuses to accept the truth that in the secret occult warfare that governs our lives, magic is a matter of life and death. And that unbeknownst to men, every woman knows it.

Filmed twice, as Weird Woman (1944) and Burn Witch Burn (1961), this tale of secret witchcraft on a modern college campus is as readable today as the day it was written.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 25 Dec 2020, 17:37

Jack W Thomas - who was Jimmy Cagney’s son in law when he wrote all those teen books - is still living somewhere around Thousand Oaks, California.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 26 Dec 2020, 08:59

No Bed of Her Own Paperback

2006 edition:

goodreads.com:

Winter 1931. New York is in the grip of the Depression. When Rose Mahoney loses her typing job, the peppy, hardboiled blonde believes she will quickly find another. But soon, meager savings dwindling, she is homeless, cast alone into the underbelly of the cold, dark city . . .

Val Lewton is remembered for his magnificent 1940s horror films, most famously Cat People, but before movies, Lewton was a prolific novelist. First published in 1932 and unavailable for over half a century, this racy, fantastically readable pulp-noir offers a strange and vivid snapshot of its era as it follows Roses's attempts to survive a world of despair, decadence, hypocrisy and greed, with only her wits to protect her.

Vintage paperback:

Fonz

Postby Fonz » 28 Dec 2020, 09:29

Lurid
Heyyyy!

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 28 Dec 2020, 10:18

Teenage boys and frustrated men thread.

A new low.
Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 28 Dec 2020, 10:44

Samoan wrote:

A new low.

Not welcome!

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 28 Dec 2020, 10:46

Fonz wrote:Lurid

Yes!

Flower

Postby Flower » 28 Dec 2020, 16:48

I can't recall if it was in Junior High School or High School when one of my friends found a copy of Tomboy by Hal Ellson

She was fifteen. Her mother was dead, her father was a drunk. She was leader of the toughest cellar club in the city - it took a cruel initiation to get in and you couldn't get out alive. Tomboy planned the capers, the rumbles with other gangs. She mugged drunks and robbed trucks and stores to buy presents for her boyfriend. But she hadn't let any boy cut his initials into her arm - yet.

Everyone in our group read it.

I've never read any of Hal Ellson's other books.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hal_Ellson
If love could've saved you, you would've lived forever.

John aka Josh

Postby John aka Josh » 28 Dec 2020, 21:35

Much loved by me and my mates.

Violence, sex - I'd read nothing like it. Wonder what I'd make of it now, it's about fifty years since I read it.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 28 Dec 2020, 22:16

There was an enterprising UK publisher that did The Complete Richard Allen in six volumes back in the 90s. They are very sought after and pricey now, but of course the NEL original paperbacks are even more so. As are all the biker books from NEL (Chopper, Mama, etc.)

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 28 Dec 2020, 22:16

That Hal Ellson book is a classic.

Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Postby Lord Rother » 28 Dec 2020, 22:51

Samoan wrote:

A new low.

:lol:

`

Postby ` » 29 Dec 2020, 08:34

Samoan wrote:

A new low.

Frustrated, small-minded busybody post.

Business as usual.
Last edited by ` on 29 Dec 2020, 09:23, edited 2 times in total.