Mary Wollstonecraft’s statue

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Geezee

Re: Mary Wollstonecraft’s statue

Postby Geezee » 20 Nov 2020, 15:43

Deebank wrote:
Geezee wrote:
Deebank wrote:

The statue dosn't depict Mary Wollstonecraft though. It isn't supposed to be her! It's a symbol of womanhood... And there are plenty of nude male statues depicting idealised maleness of course.

Yes - but is there one representing Churchill?

Isn't that the point?

Yes, that it would be a very curious juxtaposition of his legacy, if the only statue that existed of or for him in the world, was a naked colossus of a man. Maybe in some cerebral/abstract context it would work but even then it's a fairly tenuous and superficial link.
Last edited by Geezee on 20 Nov 2020, 16:20, edited 1 time in total.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 20 Nov 2020, 15:56

Geezee wrote:
Minnie the Minx wrote:
Geezee wrote:It's right around the corner from where I live. It's a very good piece, but really not for the right cause.

Why not?

I align with the criticisms that have already been frequently stated elsewhere. If you are going to have a statue specifically for Wollstonecraft, I do not agree with this as some sort of symbol of her or what she stood for. I'm in no way "offended" by the female form as depicted, or outraged or insulted by it. To the extent that I'm familiar with Wollstonecraft's work and importance, it relates to education and healthcare. Perhaps I'm myopic or small-minded, but I do not see either of those in that statue.

I think it's more about her views as a pioneering feminist philosopher.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 20 Nov 2020, 16:19

Deebank wrote:
Geezee wrote:
Minnie the Minx wrote:
Why not?

I align with the criticisms that have already been frequently stated elsewhere. If you are going to have a statue specifically for Wollstonecraft, I do not agree with this as some sort of symbol of her or what she stood for. I'm in no way "offended" by the female form as depicted, or outraged or insulted by it. To the extent that I'm familiar with Wollstonecraft's work and importance, it relates to education and healthcare. Perhaps I'm myopic or small-minded, but I do not see either of those in that statue.

Yep, I get that and still think it's a poor concept in that context.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 20 Nov 2020, 16:30

Geezee wrote:
Deebank wrote:
Geezee wrote:

;)
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

jimboo

Postby jimboo » 20 Nov 2020, 17:37

Geezee wrote:
jimboo wrote:Maggi Hambling is a bit of an art hero for me. I don't know, it seems the people who do not care for it would be happier if it was more like whistlers mother standing up and pointing with her finger or summat.
As someone said there seems to be a desire to see suffragettes and feminist figures as costumed firmly in the past or unthreatening.
I expect in the future people may be more interested in who she was because of the figure more than they would with a princess Lea wearing a dress that dulls her femininity. ( Or am i being sexist ?)

In the same way that we need to have naked statues of Winston Churchill to make sure people will be interested in him?

As Mary said herself.
“Taught from their infancy that beauty is woman's sceptre, the mind shapes itself to the body, and roaming round its gilt cage, only seeks to adorn its prison.”
She believed that the fashion of her day confined and defined women
"Women have become 'enervated by confinement and false notions of modesty' and this has affected their mental capacities too:"
And
"Let us then, by being allowed to take the same exercise as boys, not only during infancy, but youth, arrive at perfection of body, that we may know how far the natural superiority extends"
Maybe the idea of a female artist depicting her free from the fashion and corsets and style seemingly essentially in the ways to be a 'catch' would actually please her ?
I don't think she would see it as shameful but rather more symbolic of the natural beauty, strength and pride that was denied to her during her lifetime.
Of course I am a man. I am genuinely keen to hear more from the ladies of the board.
If I jerk- the handle jerk- the handle you'll thrill me and thrill me

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 20 Nov 2020, 17:55

Deebank wrote:
Geezee wrote:
Deebank wrote:

;)

I thought it was clear that I only talk about facts. It's shit - fact.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

jimboo

Postby jimboo » 20 Nov 2020, 19:41

Wow, alpha male gets upset about statue!
Opinions are facts. Boris may have found his new Cummings.
If I jerk- the handle jerk- the handle you'll thrill me and thrill me