Mary Wollstonecraft’s statue

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Mary Wollstonecraft’s statue

Postby Minnie the Minx » 17 Nov 2020, 16:32

This is going to be my most Islingtonish post ever but is anyone following this?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.thegua ... ue-critics

Maggi Hambling’s statue in dedication of Mary Wollstonecraft has set Radio 4 on fire! Complaints include - ‘ her pubes look like broccoli’ and ‘she wasn’t a silver kind of person.’

Maggi meanwhile says she needs to be able to express herself. Any views on this?

(Waits for tumbleweed)
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Re: Mary Wollstonecraft’s statue

Postby Minnie the Minx » 17 Nov 2020, 16:32

People are going to the statue and putting little cardigans on it.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 17 Nov 2020, 17:23

I heard about it on the radio during the week. Seems a bit thick to honour her and her views by having a nude idealistic view of women. Which from what they were saying was in direct opposition to her own viewpoint.
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 17 Nov 2020, 17:27

Minnie the Minx wrote:People are going to the statue and putting little cardigans on it.

:o

I'll come back to this at a later date.
Life a bit chaotic here.
Last edited by Samoan on 17 Nov 2020, 17:33, edited 1 time in total.
Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

Minnie the Minx wrote: I do wonder where everyone is getting very small cardigans from.

Fonz

Postby Fonz » 17 Nov 2020, 17:32

Metropolis
Heyyyy!

"Fonz clearly has no fucks to give. I like the cut of his Cupicidal gib."

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 17 Nov 2020, 17:59

Fonz wrote:Metropolis

Yeah. I see that!

Dr Markus wrote:

Jumper K

Postby Jumper K » 17 Nov 2020, 19:07

All art should challenge. Bring on spaghetti pubes!

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 17 Nov 2020, 19:11

Maybe!
It’s put me off broccoli, I must say.

Dr Markus wrote:

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 17 Nov 2020, 19:18

Oh I don't know. There's something in the suggestion that it represents the birth of a movement, don't you think?

Or maybe that was the broccoli!
Nikki Gradual wrote:
Get a fucking grip you narcissistic cretins.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 17 Nov 2020, 19:19

Minnie the Minx wrote:It’s put me off broccoli, I must say.

Funny, it made broccoli more appealing to me...

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 17 Nov 2020, 19:20

Belle Lettre wrote:Oh I don't know. There's something in the suggestion that it represents the birth of a movement, don't you think?

I can see that.

I’m sure it’s something I should have a strong opinion about, but I don’t. I do wonder where everyone is getting very small cardigans from.

Dr Markus wrote:

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 17 Nov 2020, 19:21

Charlie O. wrote:
Minnie the Minx wrote:It’s put me off broccoli, I must say.

Funny, it made broccoli more appealing to me...

:D

Dr Markus wrote:

jimboo

Postby jimboo » 17 Nov 2020, 19:40

Maggi Hambling is a bit of an art hero for me. I don't know, it seems the people who do not care for it would be happier if it was more like whistlers mother standing up and pointing with her finger or summat.
As someone said there seems to be a desire to see suffragettes and feminist figures as costumed firmly in the past or unthreatening.
I expect in the future people may be more interested in who she was because of the figure more than they would with a princess Lea wearing a dress that dulls her femininity. ( Or am i being sexist ?)
If I jerk- the handle jerk- the handle you'll thrill me and thrill me

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 20 Nov 2020, 14:40

It's right around the corner from where I live. It's a very good piece, but really not for the right cause.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 20 Nov 2020, 14:43

jimboo wrote:Maggi Hambling is a bit of an art hero for me. I don't know, it seems the people who do not care for it would be happier if it was more like whistlers mother standing up and pointing with her finger or summat.
As someone said there seems to be a desire to see suffragettes and feminist figures as costumed firmly in the past or unthreatening.
I expect in the future people may be more interested in who she was because of the figure more than they would with a princess Lea wearing a dress that dulls her femininity. ( Or am i being sexist ?)

In the same way that we need to have naked statues of Winston Churchill to make sure people will be interested in him?
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 20 Nov 2020, 14:49

Geezee wrote:It's right around the corner from where I live. It's a very good piece, but really not for the right cause.

Why not?

Dr Markus wrote:

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 20 Nov 2020, 14:57

Geezee wrote:
jimboo wrote:Maggi Hambling is a bit of an art hero for me. I don't know, it seems the people who do not care for it would be happier if it was more like whistlers mother standing up and pointing with her finger or summat.

In the same way that we need to have naked statues of Winston Churchill to make sure people will be interested in him?

The statue dosn't depict Mary Wollstonecraft though. It isn't supposed to be her! It's a symbol of womanhood... And there are plenty of nude male statues depicting idealised maleness of course.

(4 goes to spell her name right! :oops: )
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 20 Nov 2020, 15:18

Deebank wrote:
Geezee wrote:

The statue dosn't depict Mary Wollstonecraft though. It isn't supposed to be her! It's a symbol of womanhood... And there are plenty of nude male statues depicting idealised maleness of course.

Yes - but is there one representing Churchill?
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 20 Nov 2020, 15:26

Minnie the Minx wrote:
Geezee wrote:It's right around the corner from where I live. It's a very good piece, but really not for the right cause.

Why not?

I align with the criticisms that have already been frequently stated elsewhere. If you are going to have a statue specifically for Wollstonecraft, I do not agree with this as some sort of symbol of her or what she stood for. I'm in no way "offended" by the female form as depicted, or outraged or insulted by it. To the extent that I'm familiar with Wollstonecraft's work and importance, it relates to education and healthcare. Perhaps I'm myopic or small-minded, but I do not see either of those in that statue.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 20 Nov 2020, 15:29

Geezee wrote:
Deebank wrote:
Geezee wrote:

Yes - but is there one representing Churchill?

Isn't that the point?
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro