Postby Sam Stone » 31 Oct 2020, 13:15

In his sleep aged 90

RIP Sir Sean.

Will inevitably be remembered for the Bond movies, but was also
terrific in stuff like The Hill, Zardoz and the Untouchables

Six String

Re: Sean Connery RIP

Postby Six String » 31 Oct 2020, 13:41

90, in your sleep? That sounds about perfect. R.I.P.

Rorschach

Postby Rorschach » 31 Oct 2020, 14:09

I can’t forgive him for being friends with Jesus Gil.
Gil was a despicable bastard and gangster and Connery publicly supported him.
Bugger off.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 31 Oct 2020, 14:19

He was the best Bond, and was a fine actor. RIP.

I'm not really sure how his fellow Scots felt about his stance on Independence being broadcast from his Bahamas mansion. But I can probably guess.
I have put the ignorant, inflammatory bore on ignore.

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 31 Oct 2020, 14:21

The Best Bond (although not the best looking - that would be Brosnan), superb in The Man Who Would Be King and the Best Angry Scottish Man in The Longest Day.

Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

Minnie the Minx wrote: I do wonder where everyone is getting very small cardigans from.

LMG
Gentleman Thug

Postby LMG » 31 Oct 2020, 14:58

RIP a great actor.
"Luckily they give me plenty of leeway to sneak in a bit of Strawbs or Atomic Rooster here and there; I've got to change it up a bit, otherwise what's the point of having me on there?" Sex Pistol Steve Jones on being a DJ, from Lonely Boy 2016

LMG
Gentleman Thug

Postby LMG » 31 Oct 2020, 15:07

Rorschach wrote:I can’t forgive him for being friends with Jesus Gil.

https://www.thinkspain.com/news-spain/2 ... ption-case
"Luckily they give me plenty of leeway to sneak in a bit of Strawbs or Atomic Rooster here and there; I've got to change it up a bit, otherwise what's the point of having me on there?" Sex Pistol Steve Jones on being a DJ, from Lonely Boy 2016

Rorschach

Postby Rorschach » 31 Oct 2020, 15:15

LMG wrote:

Well, he would say that.
Bugger off.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 31 Oct 2020, 16:03

You guys are being harsh. He was one of the coolest actors of the twentieth century.
"The reason I say Trump won is that he came across as more confident, quicker-witted."
-John Coan on the Presidential debate

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 31 Oct 2020, 16:42

RIP to a great Scotsman. He was even mooted as the choice for first Scottish president in case of secession. And he was better-looking than Brosnan, I think. He soon got tired of the Bond schtick, yet would return to the role twice again, Diamonds and Never Say Never. He also took a crash course in gentlemanly manners in preparation for Dr. No.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

LMG
Gentleman Thug

Postby LMG » 31 Oct 2020, 17:54

Rorschach wrote:
LMG wrote:

Well, he would say that.

This is the part where you counter with a quote from Sir Sean saying 'Believe youse me - trsusht me when I shay I've met my shayurr of internashunnull bad fellash - Gooldfinger and that feller had no hands and what have yez, and trusht me, this yayurr Jesus Gil is NOT one of thoze bawbags, take my worrud, he's bin roond my way enny nommer of times an he's bin nowt but a grand feller an' that.'

Sorry if I offend anyone. Jus' saying.

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 31 Oct 2020, 20:06

GoogaMooga wrote:RIP to a great Scotsman. He was even mooted as the choice for first Scottish president in case of secession.

No he wasn't. He'd have to come back here and pay tax for that to have happened. Something he had an allergic reaction to. Staying in a tax haven while still lecturing on how to vote was the height of hypocrisy.

Great actor but his attitude to women and "slapping" was more than a little suspect.
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 31 Oct 2020, 23:53

Jimbly wrote:
GoogaMooga wrote:RIP to a great Scotsman. He was even mooted as the choice for first Scottish president in case of secession.

No he wasn't. He'd have to come back here and pay tax for that to have happened. Something he had an allergic reaction to. Staying in a tax haven while still lecturing on how to vote was the height of hypocrisy.

Great actor but his attitude to women and "slapping" was more than a little suspect.

But the idea was mentioned in the media years ago, even if only half-jokingly. It may not have been suggested by himself or even have been put forward as any kind of formal nomination, but there was mention of it in the papers. He paid full taxes when working in the UK and in the US.: https://www.thenational.scot/news/18673 ... and-words/
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 01 Nov 2020, 08:28

GoogaMooga wrote: He paid full taxes when working in the UK and in the US.: https://www.thenational.scot/news/18673 ... and-words/

Well that's good of him :)
I have put the ignorant, inflammatory bore on ignore.

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 01 Nov 2020, 08:42

GoogaMooga wrote:
Jimbly wrote:

But the idea was mentioned in the media years ago, even if only half-jokingly. It may not have been suggested by himself or even have been put forward as any kind of formal nomination, but there was mention of it in the papers. He paid full taxes when working in the UK and in the US.: https://www.thenational.scot/news/18673 ... and-words/

Yet I'd never heard it being mentioned in Scotland or in the media, or indeed find any reference to it online.

He wouldn't have any option other than paying full taxes on earnings in the UK. He didnt work here that often.

The fact that he took a Knighthood from the Queen yet proclaimed he wanted an independent Scotland is another case of Big Tam suiting himself.

Nothing to say about "slapping"?

As I said great actor, and a proper old school movie star but please let's spare the hyperbolic pishhhhh.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 01 Nov 2020, 08:58

Jimbly wrote:Yet I'd never heard it being mentioned in Scotland or in the media, or indeed find any reference to it online.

He wouldn't have any option other than paying full taxes on earnings in the UK. He didnt work here that often.

The fact that he took a Knighthood from the Queen yet proclaimed he wanted an independent Scotland is another case of Big Tam suiting himself.

Nothing to say about "slapping"?

As I said great actor, and a proper old school movie star but please let's spare the hyperbolic pishhhhh.

It is not hyperbolic to mention that some people would like to have seen him as president of an independent Scotland. We know his stand on Scottish independence, and it's not as if I am proclaiming him president or even saying it would have been a good idea. It's a trivial aside that I put in to show how he was adored by the public. The internet only got going in the late 90s, and you can't expect all the print that went on before to be available online today, certainly not a passing mention of him for president. We both agree he was a great actor, and as for the slapping, I won't comment on something I don't know anything about. Was it written in any of his roles or was it in private? It it were written for him, he'd have little choice, if it was his own attitude and behavior I am obviously against it.

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 01 Nov 2020, 09:20

just for clarity

"I don’t think there is anything particularly wrong about hitting a woman- although I don’t recommend doing it in the same way that you’d hit a man. An open-handed slap is justified if all other alternatives fail.” – Sean Connery, Playboy, 1965.

Some 22 years later he was interviewed for American television where his own words were thrown back at him by Barbara Walters, and he replied bluntly: “I haven’t changed my opinion.”

He added: "I don’t think it’s good, I don’t think it’s that bad. I think it depends entirely on the circumstances and if it merits it.”

It prompted Walters to ask what WOULD merit it, to which he calmly returned: “If you have tried everything else – and women are pretty good at this – they can’t leave it alone. They want to have the last word and you give them the last word, but they’re not happy with the last word. They want to say it again, and get into a really provocative situation, then I think it’s absolutely right.”

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 01 Nov 2020, 10:09

Jimbly wrote:just for clarity

"I don’t think there is anything particularly wrong about hitting a woman- although I don’t recommend doing it in the same way that you’d hit a man. An open-handed slap is justified if all other alternatives fail.” – Sean Connery, Playboy, 1965.

Some 22 years later he was interviewed for American television where his own words were thrown back at him by Barbara Walters, and he replied bluntly: “I haven’t changed my opinion.”

He added: "I don’t think it’s good, I don’t think it’s that bad. I think it depends entirely on the circumstances and if it merits it.”

It prompted Walters to ask what WOULD merit it, to which he calmly returned: “If you have tried everything else – and women are pretty good at this – they can’t leave it alone. They want to have the last word and you give them the last word, but they’re not happy with the last word. They want to say it again, and get into a really provocative situation, then I think it’s absolutely right.”

Well that is obviously not okay at all. I am surprised he wasn't called out on it more often. It didn't seem to tarnish his image or hurt his career, either. Strange.

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 01 Nov 2020, 10:18

I'm surprised you were unaware of it. It popped up fairly regularly. Much more than him being declared President of Scotland.

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 01 Nov 2020, 10:19

Connery denounced the comments in 2006 after his ex-wife released an autobiography where she accused him of abuse.
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.