How many more days till the first Xmas decorations go up

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

How many more days till the first Xmas decorations go up

Postby GoogaMooga » 25 Oct 2020, 18:20

Soon it will be that time of year again, late fall, when all the stores will be decorating and playing music. By December 24th, you will be sick of it all and tear open those presents, just to get it over with. It seems every year the high street stores start a little bit earlier, and I'm wondering if they might even start here in the last week of October. I suppose I could understand the month of December, but not here in the fall. I understand that stores depend on the Xmas sales, to make up for other meagre months. Especially bookstores do well up to Christmas, because a book is an easy and affordable present for people to buy. Then, come January, queues form outside for returns of unwanted books. So, today is October 25th. Two months to go... I am self-isolating, and so I have no way to check. Has anyone seen the first bauble, or heard the first "Jingle Bells" yet?

"Jingle Bells" is one of the best-known and commonly sung American songs in the world.

"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Re: How many more days till the first Xmas decorations go up

Postby Diamond Dog » 29 Oct 2020, 19:35

St Ives in Cornwall switch their lights on tonight. 30th October. Yikes.

https://www.falmouthpacket.co.uk/news/1 ... ime-watch/
I have put the ignorant, inflammatory bore on ignore.

Rorschach

Postby Rorschach » 30 Oct 2020, 17:42

This is an interesting question this year.
In Spain they start really early and have lights and Christmas music all over the place. This year, not a peep so far. I reckon they’re trying to save money.
Good!
Bugger off.

Flower

Postby Flower » 31 Oct 2020, 12:37

Many people in the States start to decorate their homes for Christmas on the Friday after Thanksgiving which will be on Nov 27th this year

If love could've saved you, you would've lived forever.

Sam Stone

Postby Sam Stone » 01 Nov 2020, 11:41

Rorschach wrote:This is an interesting question this year.
In Spain they start really early and have lights and Christmas music all over the place. This year, not a peep so far. I reckon they’re trying to save money.
Good!

In the UK, all the media seem to be talking about is people's desire to "save Christmas" itself.

While I'd happily put up with inane Christmas songs fouling the air in every shop I went in if it was the price needed for this COVID thing to fuck off back to Wuhan, I cannot comprehend why so many folk are keen to prioritise "saving Christmas" over saving lives

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 01 Nov 2020, 14:39

My daughter went to a Halloween party last night and there was a house in village festooned with Christmas lights.
I wondered why they were celebrating the SS. My daughter pointed out that is was 55 days to Christmas.

I suppose having a giant countdown legitimises the display a bit.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro