Spitting Image v2.0 - anyone here seen it yet?

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Sam Stone

Spitting Image v2.0 - anyone here seen it yet?

Postby Sam Stone » 07 Oct 2020, 09:08

Given that the first series thrived with self-caricaturing leaders like Thatcher and Reagan (and lost its mojo when
both left office), the time would seem to be ripe for a remake.

SI v2.0 has been getting mixed reviews (four stars in The Times and The Gruaniad and two or three stars across the red tops).

Article in today's Times that no US network will pick up the show due to their fear of upsetting "powerful people"
Interestingly, pols were desperate to get onto the UK version while their US counterparts were not amused
(Reagan apparently complained how he was portrayed spat the dummy)

Anyone here seen or have any comments - good or bad - about SI v2.0, or, indeed the 1984 to1996 incarnation.
FWIW, only way whole show is available is via Britbox which is not available in Ireland.

Here's a sample

Last edited by Sam Stone on 07 Oct 2020, 10:30, edited 1 time in total.

Sam Stone

Re: Spitting Image v2.0 - anyone here seen it yet?

Postby Sam Stone » 07 Oct 2020, 09:17

DP
Last edited by Sam Stone on 07 Oct 2020, 10:09, edited 1 time in total.

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 07 Oct 2020, 09:18

I haven't seen anything other than the trailer. Which as usual with SI the puppets are the best thing about it. Britbox is a subscription channel so I won't be seeing it. I would suspect it'll have a very limited audience.
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Postby soundchaser » 07 Oct 2020, 09:42

Jimbly wrote:I haven't seen anything other than the trailer. Which as usual with SI the puppets are the best thing about it. Britbox is a subscription channel so I won't be seeing it. I would suspect it'll have a very limited audience.

I like the idea of Britbox, but so many of these programs turn up on various digital channels. Spitting Image isn’t nearly enough to make me subscribe. I suspect it will turn up on ITV before long, so I’ll be sticking with Netflix.

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 07 Oct 2020, 10:10

I can't deal with political satire anymore. I find there's very little amusing about politics, while there's a risk of normalising all of this by laughing at it. None of this is fcking funny. And maybe it never was, especially under Thatcher/Reagan. Or perhaps it is necessary and/or important to at least laugh at this stuff. I just can't do it anymore, and either way while Spitting Image was very unique and revolutionary in its day, there is an absolute avalanche of this stuff these days and I just fail to see any need for more of it.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Sam Stone

Postby Sam Stone » 07 Oct 2020, 10:29

Geezee wrote:
I can't deal with political satire anymore. I find there's very little amusing about politics, while there's a risk of normalising all of this by laughing at it. None of this is fcking funny. And maybe it never was, especially under Thatcher/Reagan. Or perhaps it is necessary and/or important to at least laugh at this stuff. I just can't do it anymore, and either way while Spitting Image was very unique and revolutionary in its day, there is an absolute avalanche of this stuff these days and I just fail to see any need for more of it.

I rather like the (probably apocryphal) story about Tom (Verner von Braun) Lehrer (still with us at the age of 92) who allegedly
abandoned satire after Henry Kissinger was jointly awarded the 1973 Nobel Peace Prize after his earlier bombing of Cambodia

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 07 Oct 2020, 11:46

Yep, and I always think there is a tendency/risk to overdramatise current events with statements like "our country has never been so divided" etc which often forgets or underestimates the very recent past. Is today worse than Nixon/Kissinger, or the 60s, or Thatcher etc? God knows. Generally I think in my case it is primarily age - having kids, mortgage etc - which makes me much more po-faced about politics these days.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 07 Oct 2020, 12:04

If that's how good it is, I'm sure I can resist.

Not even the smallest hint of humour.

And Trump's 'voice' is so bad.

The kind of programme Farage watches and pisses himself laughing at.
I have put the ignorant, inflammatory bore on ignore.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 08 Oct 2020, 23:25

Yeah. I agree. Dreadful.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.