Viis Kusimust

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Viis Kusimust

Postby Minnie the Minx » 24 Sep 2020, 14:21

When you "grew up", what "adult" thing were you shocked at the cost of, that you had previously never considered?

What do you do with your wine corks?

Does a part of you hurt at the moment? Which part? What are you planning on doing about it?

Would you trust yourself to do a bit of foraging without poisoning yourself (without a poison guide?)

MARMALADE! Yes or no?
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Hightea

Re: Viis Kusimust

Postby Hightea » 24 Sep 2020, 15:21

When you "grew up", what "adult" thing were you shocked at the cost of, that you had previously never considered?
growing up I had neighbors who didn't have a washer and dryer. I thought maybe these were very expensive(over $1500 each back in the 80's) but was shocked to see they weren't that expensive
at one time I had an old jar but these days I throw them away.
Does a part of you hurt at the moment? Which part? What are you planning on doing about it?
pain is all about my left leg. There isn't a spot on my left leg that doesn't hurt at some point of the day. I'm on muscle relaxers for the next 3 months and then will get re-examined. The knee the initial problem seems to be okay so it might be a hip problem. My exercise was the pool not sure what to do this fall/winter
Would you trust yourself to do a bit of foraging without poisoning yourself (without a poison guide?)
I've poisoned myself by eating the wrong berries. Not bad and it was long ago. So my answer is no but I do know enough about a few items.
MARMALADE! Yes or no?[/quote] For the most part its a no. Prefer other jams but I've had a few ones a like.

Samoan

Re: Cúig Cheist

Postby Samoan » 24 Sep 2020, 15:40

Water! When I bought this flat, I never imagined people had to Pay money for water - I thought it was a civil entitlement in a first world country.

I'm only a screw top wine bottle drinker these days.

My right elbow, golfers.
Nothing, just rest, it's only mild and occasional.

I could pick out hazel nuts and wortleberrys (Thank You, Girl Guides!) also field mushrooms I think?

MARMALADE! Yes or no?

Yup but only Coopers thick cut Oxford.

Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

Minnie the Minx wrote: I do wonder where everyone is getting very small cardigans from.

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 24 Sep 2020, 16:23

Petrol

throw them away. Half my wine is screw cap these days

Nothing, all good right now

No way!

MARMALADE! Yes or no?
God yes! I'm not even too fussy, it's all good.

kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos

Postby kath » 24 Sep 2020, 16:46

rent. easily. i had no idea rent would be so high when i moved out of my house for the first time.

next, books for college. i truly must've been next-level oblivious at the time. i thought books came with the deal when you went to college, like they did in high school. (oblivious, that's what i was.) so as a broke freshman, i realized i would need to buy a sixty dollar book for trig... and a sixty dollar book for biology... and a lit anthology book... a chem book... whatever the full course load was. six classes? that includes notebooks, exam books, and any other extras a class might require (lab materials, side texts, whateverrrrr.) it was a real shocker to me. it all added up to just about what tuition itself was for the semester, at my most definitely not-tulane, not-loyola university.

so i'd hafta scramble around town, trying to find cheaper used editions and the like. these were not books you could find at the local library. when the semester was over, we all had to sell em back to the campus bookstore fast, at half the cost... before they would change and update editions (ya know, biology book adds less than a chapter's worth of new material, then they charge twenty dollars more for the new edition.) it really was a complete fucquin racket. a constant struggle for some years. i only ever kept my lit anthologies. from the time i started as a student to the time i started teaching at the same campus, the main lit anthologies had gone through at least three editions.

a racket.

i *did* have an advantage when i got to the higher level courses devoted to, say, individual writers. my ma was also an avid reader and a lit teacher. she had a whole slew of books from her time in the 50s, all the shakespeare, faulkner, dickens, etc. so i'd have her old hardbacks in whatever class. of course, it was a hassle when the prof would say, "turn to page 57" and i'm in an entirely diff edition, trying to find where i needed to be. self: what??. i haven't read this story THAT well, dammit.)

the great part: my ma wrote all over the margins of her books, whenever any thought occurred to her. i picked up the same habit, so my illegible scrawl would be in those same margins, next to my ma's flawless script. then the beezle came along, double majored in art and lit, and used a few of the very same books. i still have my ma's old version of paradise lost, and there are three generations of marginal handwriting inside. it floats me.

wine? oh no. (makes the sign of the cross, spreads a circle of salt around her on the floor.)

the list is very long of sporadic painful hotspots.. mwhaha. i have been a klutz all my life. many broken bones. four surgeries on the hook hand, one on my main hand. the only fairly constant ouchies are a bum right knee (surgery for that) and a torn rotator cuff in my left shoulder (fucque surgery for that. the cure could be worse than the problem.) when it rains~~and it rains a lot here~~i turn into a whiny, grumpy thing. then i'll dip a cinnamon roll in some jack, whatever's handy.

not at all, with one exception: i know my mushrooms. heh.

MARMALADE! Yes or no?

no. in my neck of the swamp? it's always been... it must be jelly cuz jam don't shake like that.

Six String

Postby Six String » 24 Sep 2020, 17:09

Clothes? Cars?

I used to save them with the idea of making a corkboard which did eventually happen but after making one tossed the leftovers and I now toss them right away.

Nothing really at the moment.

Would you trust yourself to do a bit of foraging without poisoning yourself (without a poison guide?

Yes, a little if necessary.

MARMALADE! Yes or no?

Yes. One of my local grocers makes a custom marmalade with Seville oranges that is aged so it’s very dark in color instead of that bright orange I see from brands like Smuckers. Ireally like it.

Edit: I do have arthritic related pain issues but fortunately not enough to need to do anything about. It’s very minor stuff compared to where my neck pain was in 2006. I don’t ever want to go there again.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 25 Sep 2020, 02:15

Tree trimming! Never thought I'd look at a Merc and think, "wow, there goes an arborist"

They go in the kerbside compost, after they have been checked to see they are cork, and not just plastic painted as cork.

My shoulders, from prolonged writing and veg patch digging. I'm going to carry on with my heat pad and exclaiming "getting old ain't for pussies" to anyone that will listen.

No way.

MARMALADE! Yes or no?

Shit, yes! we had to take it in turns as teenagers to stir the pot as it was cooking. Quite a lot of spoon licking went on.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 25 Sep 2020, 02:19

kath wrote:
the great part: my ma wrote all over the margins of her books, whenever any thought occurred to her. i picked up the same habit, so my illegible scrawl would be in those same margins, next to my ma's flawless script. then the beezle came along, double majored in art and lit, and used a few of the very same books. i still have my ma's old version of paradise lost, and there are three generations of marginal handwriting inside. it floats me.

I love that too. The house is full of books with Baron and mum of Baron's thoughts in the margins. I particularly like it when none of the scribblings make any sense - a passage about a kitchen argument will have an arrow leading away from it and will say "KITCHEN = GIRAFFE?" or something like that. Excellent stuff.

Dr Markus wrote:

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 25 Sep 2020, 11:55

House shit. Have you ever had a damp-proof course put through? The cost and devastation is incredible. Replacing roof tiles; Christ! Soffits! I couldn't point at a soffit, but apparently they're made out of pure diamond and beluga caviar.

Chuck 'em on the log burner, or chuck them in the log basket if it's summer. Those buggers blaze up like nothing else, great tiny kindling.

Just a bit of back pain, a left-over from a real bastard of a back attack last month on my birthday. Doing nowt but grumble, though I did get funds for a home-office chair from work because of it.

Depends what you mean by trust. I don't think I'd successfully identify mushrooms or anything, but I generally know which bramble type fruits are ok. I'd probably still eat the mushrooms, I just wouldn't have any faith I hadn't poisioned myself, but that'd be part of the excitement.

MARMALADE! Yes or no?
I don't eat it myself, but I have no strong opinions on the concept.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Flower

Postby Flower » 25 Sep 2020, 12:25

Auto insurance.

Cat toys for a bit and then trashed.\

My brain hurts from the fact that Trump is President and from people who don't take the pandemic seriously. Pray, vote, call code enforcement or just hire a hit man if I win the Lotto.

I trust myself but would feed anything iffy to whomever I'm with first and wait for their reaction. :D

MARMALADE! Yes or no?
No .. I don't hate marmalade but prefer jam.
If love could've saved you, you would've lived forever.

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 25 Sep 2020, 14:44

Everything.

I've got some of the more memorable ones in a vase, which I'm sure will just get tossed in the trash one day. Normally they just go in the garbage.

I've got corns on the small toes of each foot from wearing these stupid Adidas which I guess are narrower than I require. They provide a lovely burning sensation, and I should probably just go to the drug store and get some corn remover pads, but I'm kinda hoping the weather will cool off enough that I can switch back to my boots which are much kinder to my feet. I wish I could be less fussy about footwear.

Yes, for a few things. I'd like to learn to identify various mushrooms some day.

MARMALADE! Yes or no?

Not a fan.
If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 25 Sep 2020, 14:55

I went to a private school for a while and had no idea what the cost was until much later in life. I really was completely oblivious to what a privileged little shit i was, and thought there was effectively no difference between between public and private schools.

Kids toys/art projects. Often end up as funnels or something similar.

The heart and head are hurting a bit from lockdown pressure. Doing nothing about it - just going through the motions.

Yes - at least back home in Sweden where I spent alot of time as a kid picking mushrooms, berries etc in the forests, often in school.

MARMALADE! Yes or no?

No. Never. Only salty things are good.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 25 Sep 2020, 14:56

Minnie the Minx wrote:
kath wrote:

I love that too. The house is full of books with Baron and mum of Baron's thoughts in the margins. I particularly like it when none of the scribblings make any sense - a passage about a kitchen argument will have an arrow leading away from it and will say "KITCHEN = GIRAFFE?" or something like that. Excellent stuff.

I'm so happy to read that - it's been a habit of mine since forever and my wife is absolutely aghast that i do this. it's quite compulsive on my side.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Jumper K

Postby Jumper K » 25 Sep 2020, 17:21

Women
Make collages
My soul. Hounding arseholes on social media.
Hell yeah! Nice bit of tree bark cheesecake, scrumptious.
MARMALADE! Yes or no?
Yes. None of that smooth shit though. Peel is where the heroin is.

Six String

Postby Six String » 25 Sep 2020, 17:35

What about marmalade made with Kumquats?

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 25 Sep 2020, 17:37

Stay in your lane, Les!!

Dr Markus wrote:

Dr. Baron
Diamond Geezer

Postby Dr. Baron » 25 Sep 2020, 17:50

Six, I should have warned you about how uptight British people can be about their foodstuffs!
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.
GoogaMooga wrote:It's a film I have waited 39 years to see. Now I have the chance, but I may just crap out.

kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos

Postby kath » 25 Sep 2020, 18:29

Jumper K wrote:When you "grew up", what "adult" thing were you shocked at the cost of, that you had previously never considered?
Women

mwhahahahahaa

Six String

Postby Six String » 25 Sep 2020, 19:16

Minnie the Minx wrote:Stay in your lane, Les!!

:D

Six String

Postby Six String » 25 Sep 2020, 19:16

Dr. Baron wrote:Six, I should have warned you about how uptight British people can be about their foodstuffs!

How can I forget the BCB cheese war? :)