Yes
70%
Footy
4%

Total votes: 46

Positive Passion

Re: Ban Jimbo?

Postby Positive Passion » 12 Sep 2020, 12:49

Deebank wrote:Was BanJimbo! by Talking Heads or Echo & The Bunnymen?

Malcolm McLaren - isn't it on Duck Rock?

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 12 Sep 2020, 13:00

Here is a little salute to Jimbo:

"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 12 Sep 2020, 13:03

Sam Stone wrote:
The Modernist wrote:It was done by Rayge rather than John. He did it, as far as I understand it, because it was creating too much ill feeling between the boards. It was a peace keeping gesture.

No one here objects to people posting on both boards. What most - if not all - BCBers do object to
is people from P coming over and stirring up the shit as is happening here.

The earlier BCB thread on P dated back to the board's earliest days and ran to quite a few pages.

The thread was only removed from view after Matt W had succeeded in registering over there.

Foolishly (sorry M!) rather than screencapping a few the nastier posts, M reported back
here to alert BCBers what was being posted about them.

Certain - but by no means all - sections of Preludin were subsequently made visible to
outsiders.

And so? The fact that there is acrimony between some board members here and some former posters there is hardly news.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 12 Sep 2020, 13:06

Sam Stone wrote:
The Modernist wrote:It was done by Rayge rather than John. He did it, as far as I understand it, because it was creating too much ill feeling between the boards. It was a peace keeping gesture.

No one here objects to people posting on both boards. What most - if not all - BCBers do object to
is people from P coming over and stirring up the shit as is happening here.

The earlier BCB thread on P dated back to the board's earliest days and ran to quite a few pages.

The thread was only removed from view after Matt W had succeeded in registering over there.

Foolishly (sorry M!) rather than screencapping a few the nastier posts, M reported back
here to alert BCBers what was being posted about them.

Certain - but by no means all - sections of Preludin were subsequently made visible to
outsiders.

While I appreciate the even-handedness of your post, I would like to clarify a couple of things. Originally, the whole General section was hidden from non-members, just like Exchange and Mart is here. The original thread about BCB was in that section.

It was my decision, with John's approval (although I do most of the very little Admin work required, I don't own Preludin), to throw the whole board open (to the dismay of some who like to snigger in dark corners) to guests, and I locked the old, toxic thread and parked it in the Moderators room, largely because some of the members are very hissy-fit about any interference with their deathless posts – personally I would have deleted it. This is the only thread on Preludin, apart from chuntering between me and John as Admin/mods, and of course private messages, that is not visible to everyone, guests included. Nothing has been added to it since I removed it.

I don't presume to speak for Preludin, and there certainly isn't any commonly agreed policy (or indeed commonly agreed anything), but speaking personally I don't feel there is any sort of general feud going on. The Preludin members who are 'stirring up the shit' in this thread (Snee, Charlie, hatz, G, and of course flowere :roll: ) have all been members of BCB far longer than I, and all have a degree of emotional investment in it. Some of them, and others who are members of both boards, may have personal feuds with other members, but there's nothing much to be done about that - quite often neither party remembers how the rancour arose. There's two or three members of preludin who dislike me (no accounting for taste, etc) and I've had run-ins with several people here, too, but I try to put it to one side and get on with it. I wish that others here and there would do so, too, rather than wallowing in snark,but basically both BCB and Preludin have a minimum moderation policy.

Ray
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 12 Sep 2020, 13:13

Positive Passion wrote:
Deebank wrote:Was BanJimbo! by Talking Heads or Echo & The Bunnymen?

Malcolm McLaren - isn't it on Duck Rock?

Of course! Silly me!
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Flower

Postby Flower » 12 Sep 2020, 13:14

Sam Stone wrote:
Was having a "looky lou" as they call it at Deludin a couple of minutes ago. It seems Sneelock is very aggrieved that I had remarked
that the BCB thread was the longest and busiest there when General Blethering apparently has slightly more posts.

What S omitted to mention was that the current BCB thread only started last October* while GB has been running since Jan 2019.

That's nine full months of posts Coan has squirrelled away.

I wonder why he's so afraid to let anyone here see them...

* October 6th to be exact. Maybe they'll declare a cease fire and invite us over to play a game of football in no man's land

Basically, it's a double standard.

Noun

a rule or principle which is unfairly applied in different ways to different people or groups.
If love could've saved you, you would've lived forever.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 12 Sep 2020, 13:17

Rayge wrote:

While I appreciate the even-handedness of your post, I would like to clarify a couple of things. Originally, the whole General section was hidden from non-members, just like Exchange and Mart is here.

We have an Exchange & Mart section? :o
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Sam Stone

Postby Sam Stone » 12 Sep 2020, 13:41

Deebank wrote:
Rayge wrote:

While I appreciate the even-handedness of your post, I would like to clarify a couple of things. Originally, the whole General section was hidden from non-members, just like Exchange and Mart is here.

We have an Exchange & Mart section? :o

They told me they'd stopped accepting Marts

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 12 Sep 2020, 16:53

Frankly, this shit is embarrassing. Most of us are pretty old... way past high school anyhow. So why the high-school soap opera?

When I’m at Preludin, they talk about the BCBers. When I’m at BCB, they talk about Preludin-ers. So fucking what? Back before Preludin, there was still gossip. It just happened on PM.

Humans gossip. Grow up. Deal with it.

Meanwhile, the issue at hand was Jimbo. He’s now getting to hide behind this inter-board squabbling - and perversely, the continued participation of the very presence on this board most responsible for sending folks to the other one is now being framed as an issue of BCB sovereignty of some kind.

Well - I was a BCBer long before Preludin existed. But if we’re actually consciously choosing to be Jimbo’s playground forever, that’s a choice with consequences.
“Remember I have said good things about benevolent despots before.” - Jimbo

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 12 Sep 2020, 17:00

kath wrote:p.s. davey, is all okay with you and yers? i swear, when i haven't talked to anyone in awhile, i get a lil freaked. it's like the world is burnin and gettin plague-ridden, and my only thought, honestly, is above ground is good.

er... anyway.

go fucque yerself, people. if i gotta check, i gotta check.

davey, yer spawn is okay?

All is well kath. PM incoming, but I appreciate you checking in!

kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos

Postby kath » 12 Sep 2020, 17:05

i wanna make sumthin crystal clear. someone asked me about it elsewhere.

you people know i don't want jimbo out of here becuz of some crass, stupid, sneering crack about my tits and legs, right? i mean, i have lived through third grade, people. (that he has devolved so much *he* thinks it's brilliant and funny is another matter.)

if he gets banned, it should be for the main: he only functions now to spin crazy, dumb, nasty conspiracy theories that he thinks make him superior. he constantly spews racist, sexist, foul crap. he is devoid of empathy, narcissistic, a sneering nutjob. his "humor" has deteriorated into naught but slaggin people in stupid, mean ways.

essentially? jimbo is now a replica of donald trump, in every aspect i described above. there is no music talk. no friendly banter. it is all trump, all the time. he is cracked. even his constant need for attention of any sort is alllll trump.

those people who have been payin attention to him know it. he is delusional, in all the most rancid ways.

understandable if people are beyond sick of his shit.

i've been done with him for months. ya know, it actually takes a lot for me to give up on a person completely. not becuz i'm sooo wonderful or such a great judge of character. it's becuz i am a SAP. i tend to believe everyone has a good spot, however fucqued up we all are, whatever ugly side we have. with jimbo? done.

however y'all see it or deal with it, more power to ya.
Last edited by kath on 12 Sep 2020, 17:19, edited 1 time in total.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 12 Sep 2020, 17:16

I don't understand the Jimbo issue at all. Why do you guys engage with him in the first place? That thread goes on and on and it's usually the same people sparring with him all the time - some of whom are calling for his ouster on this very thread. Is it so hard to just avoid looking to see what he's posted? That whole Coanesque idea of banning people (when he was never banned - oh, the irony...) whom we deem undesirable has always been anathema to my way of thinking. Live and let live. If his skin is thick enough to withstand the constant bickering, and if the usual suspects are content to constantly debate him, then let him stay.

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 12 Sep 2020, 17:24

Matt Wilson wrote:I don't understand the Jimbo issue at all. Why do you guys engage with him in the first place? That thread goes on and on and it's usually the same people sparring with him all the time - some of whom are calling for his ouster on this very thread. Is it so hard to just avoid looking to see what he's posted? That whole Coanesque idea of banning people (when he was never banned - oh, the irony...) whom we deem undesirable has always been anathema to my way of thinking. Live and let live. If his skin is thick enough to withstand the constant bickering, and if the usual suspects are content to constantly debate him, then let him stay.

Well again - I blocked him almost two years ago. But there are certain threads that I can’t jump into, because everyone else is talking about whatever Jimbo’s take is. So ignoring only goes so far.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 12 Sep 2020, 17:30

So don't block him. Does he seek you out in other threads to antagonize you? I don't know, I guess because I don't spend tons of time in Nextdoorland (silly me, I still see BCB as a music forum and tend to usually check Yakety Yak first), I almost never see Jimbo's posts as he rarely talks about music. He just doesn't bother me. He's like that guy at the end of the bar talking to himself and to anybody who'll listen. Sure, he spouts a lot of B.S., but that's expected. If you walk away that guy is not gonna follow you. Know what I mean? Trouble is, you sat down and talked with him for too long, thinking you were gonna change his views. Not gonna happen.

Sam Stone

Postby Sam Stone » 12 Sep 2020, 17:37

Davey the Fat Boy wrote:Frankly, this shit is embarrassing. Most of us are pretty old... way past high school anyhow. So why the high-school soap opera?

When I’m at Preludin, they talk about the BCBers. When I’m at BCB, they talk about Preludin-ers. So fucking what? Back before Preludin, there was still gossip. It just happened on PM.

Aside from an initial jokey thread about which BCBers had been invited or would 'defect'' to P, there has never
been a permanent "Prelude watching" thread here - just various short-lived flare ups in response to
Coan and Skope's constant shit stirring.

Would love for you to show me a few examples of a BCBer going over to P and starting trouble in the way that
Coan and Skope regularly do here - the former via his endless stream of infantile aliases, and the latter with
his pathological hatred of all things BCB.

It ultimately isn't the BCBers who Coan and Skope loathe who go over there and cause trouble for the simple
reasons

1) it's been made very clear we're not welcome

and

2) none of us would want to go if we were

As for Jimbo, I've broken the habit of a lifetime and put him on ignore.

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 12 Sep 2020, 17:46

Matt Wilson wrote:So don't block him. Does he seek you out in other threads to antagonize you? I don't know, I guess because I don't spend tons of time in Nextdoorland (silly me, I still see BCB as a music forum and tend to usually check Yakety Yak first), I almost never see Jimbo's posts as he rarely talks about music. He just doesn't bother me. He's like that guy at the end of the bar talking to himself and to anybody who'll listen. Sure, he spouts a lot of B.S., but that's expected. If you walk away that guy is not gonna follow you. Know what I mean? Trouble is, you sat down and talked with him for too long, thinking you were gonna change his views. Not gonna happen.

So your answer is to just let him have Nextdoorland, because you personally aren’t interested in the same topics as him?

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 12 Sep 2020, 17:48

Actually, Todd - my answer is to ignore him. But it looks like that's impossible for you.

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 12 Sep 2020, 17:53

Sam Stone wrote:
Davey the Fat Boy wrote:Frankly, this shit is embarrassing. Most of us are pretty old... way past high school anyhow. So why the high-school soap opera?

Aside from an initial jokey thread about which BCBers had been invited or would 'defect'' to P, there has never
been a permanent "Prelude watching" thread here - just various short-lived flare ups in response to
Coan and Skope's constant shit stirring.

Would love for you to show me a few examples of a BCBer going over to P and starting trouble in the way that
Coan and Skope regularly do here - the former via his endless stream of infantile aliases, and the latter with
his pathological hatred of all things BCB.

It ultimately isn't the BCBers who Coan and Skope loathe who go over there and cause trouble for the simple
reasons

1) it's been made very clear we're not welcome

and

2) none of us would want to go if we were

As for Jimbo, I've broken the habit of a lifetime and put him on ignore.

Due respect, Sam.I’m not really interested in parsing who has the moral high ground in the board wars. How about I concede from the get go, Coan and skope can be catty motherfuckers? They were when we were all on BCB - and they still are. So what?

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 12 Sep 2020, 17:58

Matt Wilson wrote:Actually, Todd - my answer is to ignore him. But it looks like that's impossible for you.

I answered you on that.

He’s impossible to ignore here on any of the threads he dominates, because they all turn into Jimbo threads. I don’t currently see his posts, but everyone else is busy toying with him - so it’s basically impossible to ignore him.

So now what?

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 12 Sep 2020, 18:01

You want me to say ban him, because you find him impossible to ignore - even though you've blocked him. Basically, he's an inconvenience to you.