Weed

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Weed

Postby KeithPratt » 05 Aug 2020, 20:58

https://www.vice.com/en_au/article/5dmn ... -marijuana

Let’s start with its coolness. Not a single advertising creative worked on weed throughout the 20th century and yet weed was somehow gifted with the kind of prestige for which companies like Nike or Red Bull would have paid millions. Not just that, but weed got endorsed by the most famous people on the planet. Imagine what it would have cost to get The Beatles to endorse a given product—let’s say, a certain brand of canned tuna—at the height of their fame in the 60s. Or what it would have taken to get Snoop Dog to champion a line of mattress toppers in the 90s. And yet these cultural titans threw all their weight behind weed, for free, and likely against the wishes of label management. And this celebrity-studded campaign was rolled out internationally, without financial backing or central planning, and maintained year after year until weed became semi-legal in the 2010s. It’s kind of a miracle really.

The most overrated drug on the planet with a sideline of psychosis and significant mental health issues on many of the young. And now it's virtually legal.

Is it time we thought twice about it?

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Re: Weed

Postby toomanyhatz » 05 Aug 2020, 21:21

KeithPratt wrote:
The most overrated drug on the planet

That'd be coke.

with a sideline of psychosis and significant mental health issues on many of the young.

I'd say it falls way, waaaay short of "many." Studies are mostly inconclusive, and showing more correlation than causation.

I'm not one to scoff at science, but the science is far from decided on the matter - I suspect most scientists would say that it's far less dangerous than alcohol or prescription opioids.

And now it's virtually legal.

A whole hell of a lot more than 'virtually' in most places, though you do have to be 21 here.

I've thought a whole lot more than twice about it. I have definitely made a conscious effort to cut down - you miss a lot of life if you go through it constantly high, and that's on anything - but I'd say how good it makes Another Green World and Electric Ladyland sound (which I heard back-to-back for the first time after a enjoyable/memorable "wake 'n' bake") is worth the risk, which I consider minimal.
Jimbo wrote:I need you to back up this claim.

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020? 2021?

Dr. Baron
Diamond Geezer

Postby Dr. Baron » 05 Aug 2020, 21:27

KeithPratt wrote:The most overrated drug on the planet with a sideline of psychosis and significant mental health issues on many of the young. And now it's virtually legal.

:lol:
No.
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.
GoogaMooga wrote:It's a film I have waited 39 years to see. Now I have the chance, but I may just crap out.

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 06 Aug 2020, 04:04

I pray nightly weed becomes legal in Japan. With the colorful lights, all that electricity and the amazing food, this place could be weed paradise.
kath wrote: *which is the real reason he can fucque off and rot for the rest of time.

Jimbo wrote: So Kath, put on your puka love beads ... Then go fuque yourself.

Sam Stone

Postby Sam Stone » 06 Aug 2020, 08:59

KeithPratt wrote:

The only time I have to think twice about it is on those now sadly increasingly rare occasions
when I'm in the mood to roll and smoke a second spliff.

Despite being about a million times stronger than it used to be, weed is far, far better than the other options out there - legal or illegal.

Sadly, I guess COVID-19 has put paid to any of us being able to share a companionable spliff with friends for the foreseeable future

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 06 Aug 2020, 14:04

Interesting that Toby used to sing the praises of all manner of synthetic pharmaceuticals not so many years ago.

Parenthood - who needs it?
I have put the ignorant, inflammatory bore on ignore.

The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia

Postby The Prof » 06 Aug 2020, 14:35

Diamond Dog wrote:Interesting that Toby used to sing the praises of all manner of synthetic pharmaceuticals not so many years ago.

Parenthood - who needs it?

:lol:

From Acid House to Mary Whitehouse!

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 06 Aug 2020, 14:48

Has anyone experienced the oft referred to feelings of paranoia? I have. Scary as fuck. But then so is a roller coaster. 8-)
kath wrote: *which is the real reason he can fucque off and rot for the rest of time.

Jimbo wrote: So Kath, put on your puka love beads ... Then go fuque yourself.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 06 Aug 2020, 15:38

I have no problems with cannabis on any ethical or moral grounds and I reckon it could even potentially do me some good if I don't smoke it. I have teenage kids though and the Mrs would not approve of me getting stoned. The last time I did was a few years ago on a camping trip with all our friends from the village in Sussex where we used to live.

A friend of our friends came on the trip and sadly she was in the last stages of cancer. She smoked to help with various of the symptoms. We got totally roasted :lol: (didn't take much for me). She passed away a year or so later... Sorry to harsh your mellow guys :cry:

Although I haven't actually bought any dope for years I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to avoid the supposedly heinous super-skunk or just partake in moderation.

On the paranoia thing, my wife went on a hen do to Amsterdam and the first thing the hens did on arrival was pile in to the nearest cafe and buy the biggest biffter they could find (not my wife, she doesn't partake). The girls spent the next 12 hours in a hotel room too freaked to go outside :lol:
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 06 Aug 2020, 16:07

KeithPratt wrote:

Only because I have a cop for an immediate next door neighbour and our back balconies are in close proximity and in this lovely weather, doors and windows are wide open.
Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

jimboo wrote:At the age of 57 I had my first pickled egg.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 06 Aug 2020, 20:57

What about "painter's brain" from super skunk.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 06 Aug 2020, 21:37

KeithPratt wrote:

Huh? No I've thought about it for 20 years and have been waiting for the day its legal (I'm in NY so still not legal). Yes we get the bad of weed, putting smoke in your lungs is not a good thing no matter how many studies they do. However, that is where it ends. For me weed has been a relax medication for quite nights after hard days of working. It's also keeps me from drinking alcohol like a fish. A few puffs makes me only have 1 or 2 drinks instead of 3 or 4 (no I don't drink daily) . It also reduces my arthritis and knee/leg pain although not as well as a muscle relaxer. I'll gladly trust weed over opiates or even muscle relaxers.

In regards to is it stronger than weed in the 70-80's most of that is BS. First the same hybrid stuff has been around that long, secondly, these days they are reducing the THC in weed you purchase. Actually they have hybrids with little THC and more CBD so its up to you what you purchase. Secondly, back in the day we smoked all day and night now its a few puffs a nite. Another reason why you can't compare it to cigs. Most people smoke a pack of cigs or more a day compared to a few puffs a day you figure out what is more dangerous. Weed is also a non-violent drug making it a better choice than alcohol or other drugs.

I will admit if you can go thru life without weed, alcohol, cigs, other drugs then yes that is the best way to go, however if cigs and alcohol are legal we deserve weed to be legal too as an alternative.

As for a drug that is bad news that would be Cocaine. I'm also not a fan of edibles find them too powerful but because of the smoke in the lungs I've been thinking of trying it again.

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 06 Aug 2020, 22:00

Hightea wrote: I'm also not a fan of edibles find them too powerful but because of the smoke in the lungs I've been thinking of trying it again.

I have the opposite problem. Damn, I wish they were too strong - since it's usually in a sugar base that would even lessen the negative effect on my health.

No, my problem is they don't work on me. A friend of mine who goes to cannabis events - apparently that's a thing, and no I've never been myself - gave me some samples of gummy worms and told me to be careful as the THC content is high. I ate the whole bag and got a very slight buzz - which was probably mostly from the sugar.

The risk vs. reward equation is just not in my favor. To get even a little high I'd have to eat far too much sugar. I'd rather let the smoke in my lungs - I've been told I'm borderline diabetic but have no lung issues that I'm aware of. And I'm a former cigarette smoker (though I never smoked that much, and it was over a decade ago that I had my last cigarette).
Jimbo wrote:I need you to back up this claim.

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020? 2021?

souphound
World Class Ignoramus

Postby souphound » 06 Aug 2020, 22:30

The stuff is legal here. All through the country. Here when you walk into one of the shops, the available selection is unbelievable. Thank goodness they are staffed very competently from my experience. They help you find whatever type of stuff you are looking for and quickly.
Footy wrote:Last week, I discovered that the cordless drill I bought about 5 years ago is, in fact, a cordless screwdiver.

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 07 Aug 2020, 00:02

toomanyhatz wrote:

No, my problem is they don't work on me. A friend of mine who goes to cannabis events - apparently that's a thing, and no I've never been myself - gave me some samples of gummy worms and told me to be careful as the THC content is high. I ate the whole bag and got a very slight buzz - which was probably mostly from the sugar.

The risk vs. reward equation is just not in my favor. To get even a little high I'd have to eat far too much sugar. I'd rather let the smoke in my lungs - I've been told I'm borderline diabetic but have no lung issues that I'm aware of. And I'm a former cigarette smoker (though I never smoked that much, and it was over a decade ago that I had my last cigarette).

It is a different high maybe that is it. My friend can't smoke so she only does gummies but sugarless that were fine but not my high, I've have the sugar ones. I'm just happy its on the NJ Nov election lot closer than Mass.

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 07 Aug 2020, 10:36

Is it just me in the uncool kids group that doesn't feel any need for recreational drugs. I'm not anti the use of them or anybody that wants to use them. Just not for me.
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 07 Aug 2020, 11:20

I understand the arguments concerning decriminalisation and can see why they have such force.

What I'm concerned about is that a) we have two drugs that are so highly embedded into culture that do damage - alcohol and cigarettes - that to deny people them is stupid - prohibition plainly didn't work. We know the harms that come from drug abuse and how they affect other people in particular, not just the people that take them, so why add another one into the mix? We struggle with alcohol and nicotine addiction, so why add a further potential burden of cannabis, particularly when mental health problems are already soaring? The links between psychosis and cannabis use have been documented.

I get the medical side of the argument - particularly for pain relief. I lost two friends to alcohol between 2014 and 2018. I also have a friend whose son is what we might have called "sectioned" back in the past, due to huge cannabis usage between the age of 15 and 20. As Pete said, I have had pleasurable times with MDMA over the last 20 years, so am I in the right place to criticise the increasing prevalence of cannabis? I don't smoke it and I don't go near it. Of the people I know who did smoke over the last 20 years, all of them gave up bar one.

I just feel that it's one of those arguments that people are saying "let people do what they want to do because anecdotally and personally, I've never had an issue with it" and suddenly it's too late.

Sam Stone

Postby Sam Stone » 07 Aug 2020, 12:37

Has weed totally supplanted hash ? On the increasingly rare occasions I manage to score some grass, I always ask but the answer is always "no".

FWIW, from being a huge smoker for the best part of 30 years, I've cut back considerably this last decade - initially through scarcity and now through choice. Couple of spliffs would last me pretty much the whole week nowadays

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 07 Aug 2020, 14:00

KeithPratt wrote:I understand the arguments concerning decriminalisation and can see why they have such force.

What I'm concerned about is that a) we have two drugs that are so highly embedded into culture that do damage - alcohol and cigarettes - that to deny people them is stupid - prohibition plainly didn't work. We know the harms that come from drug abuse and how they affect other people in particular, not just the people that take them, so why add another one into the mix? We struggle with alcohol and nicotine addiction, so why add a further potential burden of cannabis, particularly when mental health problems are already soaring? The links between psychosis and cannabis use have been documented.

I get the medical side of the argument - particularly for pain relief. I lost two friends to alcohol between 2014 and 2018. I also have a friend whose son is what we might have called "sectioned" back in the past, due to huge cannabis usage between the age of 15 and 20. As Pete said, I have had pleasurable times with MDMA over the last 20 years, so am I in the right place to criticise the increasing prevalence of cannabis? I don't smoke it and I don't go near it. Of the people I know who did smoke over the last 20 years, all of them gave up bar one.

I just feel that it's one of those arguments that people are saying "let people do what they want to do because anecdotally and personally, I've never had an issue with it" and suddenly it's too late.

It's very difficult to prove a causal link between THC and psychosis. I think it is well established however that cannabis use in the teen years can cause issues in brain development. That aside I'd say the positives outweigh the negatives especially if you decriminalise it.

As fr long-term MDMA use, have you ever seem Norman Cook's hands up close? I'm surprised he can get a needle onto a record at all!
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 07 Aug 2020, 14:03

Jimbly wrote:Is it just me in the uncool kids group that doesn't feel any need for recreational drugs. I'm not anti the use of them or anybody that wants to use them. Just not for me.

Captain Obvious says... Alcohol is a recreational drug!

(this smug statement does not apply if you don't drink)