Steve Bell cancelled by the Guardian

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Steve Bell cancelled by the Guardian

Postby KeithPratt » 19 Jul 2020, 11:51

Yeah it's controversial. It is a bit racist. But is it a sackable offence? Steve Bell has vilified political people throughout his career (although very rarely, if at all Muslims) - and he's one of the Guardian's assets in many ways. Freedom of expression and speech seem to have gone out of the window.

Dr. Baron
Diamond Geezer

Re: Steve Bell cancelled by the Guardian

Postby Dr. Baron » 19 Jul 2020, 12:07

KeithPratt wrote:It is a bit racist. But is it a sackable offence?

You’ve answered your own question.
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 19 Jul 2020, 12:12

Makes no odds to me as I've stopped following The Guardian since C-19 as it puts me into a miserable blue funk.

First I've hear of it is from you and thence The Jewish Chronicle (whose reporter needs to get it together with his basic spelling.)

https://www.thejc.com/news/uk/controversial-cartoonist-steve-bell-to-leave-the-guardian-1.501690
Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 19 Jul 2020, 12:14

He's not been sacked for this though has he? The Guardian ran it. Doesn't seem to me as if this is about freedom of expression - he's allowed to say what he wants - and cartoonists move newspapers all the time. Not that it is relevant but personally I've never thought he's been particularly good compared to other political cartoonists.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 19 Jul 2020, 12:23

Samoan wrote: The Jewish Chronicle (whose reporter needs to get it together with his basic spelling.)

Are you saying Jews can't spell?
You don't have to be smart to see how fucked up this shit is. Jimmy Dore

Sam Stone

Postby Sam Stone » 19 Jul 2020, 16:12

Jimbo wrote:
Samoan wrote: The Jewish Chronicle (whose reporter needs to get it together with his basic spelling.)

Are you saying Jews can't spell?

From the name of the paper, they would seem to be pretty chronic at it.

Sam Stone

Postby Sam Stone » 19 Jul 2020, 16:17

KeithPratt wrote:Image

Yeah it's controversial. It is a bit racist. But is it a sackable offence? Steve Bell has vilified political people throughout his career (although very rarely, if at all Muslims) - and he's one of the Guardian's assets in many ways. Freedom of expression and speech seem to have gone out of the window.

Is it possible to be "a bit racist", T? Surely, you either are or you aren't.

FWIW, this cartoon originally ran in March.

Seems odd that it has taken until now to start ruffling the Guardian's feathers.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 19 Jul 2020, 17:49

What's the racist element of that cartoon? I think something is going over my head.

Bell's been a boring fart for years. Reminds me of this:

You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

C
Robust

Postby C » 19 Jul 2020, 18:03

Minnie the Minx wrote:What's the racist element of that cartoon? I think something is going over my head.

The British Tamil Conservatives wrote: “It’s anti-Hindu. It portrays the Home Secretary, of Hindu origin, as a cow. A sacred symbol for Hindus. It’s racist and misogynist. It’s plainly unacceptable! It may constitute a hate crime.”

Nancy wrote:My inner child is very hairy, lives in a cave, has a guitar and amplifier and stacks of Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, UFO and Deep Purple cranked to 12.

Positive Passion

Postby Positive Passion » 19 Jul 2020, 18:19

C wrote:
Minnie the Minx wrote:What's the racist element of that cartoon? I think something is going over my head.

The British Tamil Conservatives wrote: “It’s anti-Hindu. It portrays the Home Secretary, of Hindu origin, as a cow. A sacred symbol for Hindus. It’s racist and misogynist. It’s plainly unacceptable! It may constitute a hate crime.”

Though both characters are portrayed as cows. However I think Bell has usually portrayed Johnson as a bottom, so a question is why now portray him as a cow, if not to attempt to allay suspicions of deliberately giving religious offence (not racism) in portraying Patel as a cow.

Positive Passion

Postby Positive Passion » 19 Jul 2020, 18:20

Minnie the Minx wrote:
Bell's been a boring fart for years.

He has indeed. I have often thought his time had passed.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 19 Jul 2020, 18:52

Positive Passion wrote:
C wrote:

Though both characters are portrayed as cows. However I think Bell has usually portrayed Johnson as a bottom, so a question is why now portray him as a cow, if not to attempt to allay suspicions of deliberately giving religious offence (not racism) in portraying Patel as a cow.

Yes. It seems to me to be potentially religiously offensive, but racist?

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 19 Jul 2020, 18:53

C wrote:

How is it misogynist?

Dr Markus wrote:

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 19 Jul 2020, 19:25

What is notable is that Patel is being depicted as male due to the nose ring which some bulls (uncastrated male cows) have applied to control them, fans of BBC 2's This Farming Life may have noticed.
I've really been enjoying watching that programme during the lockdown. (Farming's not for softies)
Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

John aka Josh

Postby John aka Josh » 19 Jul 2020, 21:58

Samoan wrote:What is notable is that Patel is being depicted as male due to the nose ring which some bulls (uncastrated male cows)* have applied to control them, fans of BBC 2's This Farming Life may have noticed.
I've really been enjoying watching that programme during the lockdown. (Farming's not for softies)

*Transgender cows?

I have always been of the thought that bulls were male cattle.

Sorry, I know I'm being a bit pedantic but this is a bit of a peeve of mine. I get annoyed when there are adverts for cheese or milk which have cows portrayed as males.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 19 Jul 2020, 23:07

John aka Josh wrote:

Sorry, I know I'm being a bit pedantic but this is a bit of a peeve of mine. I get annoyed when there are adverts for cheese or milk which have cows portrayed as males.

:)

Dr Markus wrote:

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 20 Jul 2020, 15:35

Nope, he's still the best.

I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 20 Jul 2020, 15:54

On the contrary - I think you’ve proven my point!

Dr Markus wrote:

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 20 Jul 2020, 16:51

Minnie the Minx wrote:On the contrary - I think you’ve proven my point!

You say tomato...
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Rorschach

Postby Rorschach » 21 Jul 2020, 08:43

I thought he stopped being funny about 30 years ago.

But I don't see what's offensive about this picture.
Bugger off.