Historical fiction

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Jimbo

Historical fiction

Postby Jimbo » 09 Jul 2020, 06:51

I guess it's my favorite book genre. For some reason actual history books don't light my fire but books by the likes of Bernard Cornwell, Patrick O'Brian, C.S. Forester, Jeff Shaara and Steven Pressfield do.

I started this thread to be about Len Deighton who was mentioned in a Dan Carlin historical podcast. (If you are not hip to Carlin you should check him out.) So, I read a bunch of Deighton's cold war thrillers back in the day. I must admit I was kind of lost as I read them. Maybe a rereading with a more mature Jimbo would help. I read (listened to) Bomber not too long ago and was suitably entertained and educated. Now I want a recommendation from you. Michael Caine as Harry Palmer in Billion Dollar Brain was a revelation into the realm of right wing American billionaires. I wonder whether his cold war spy books hold up nowadays? I wonder if Billion Dollar Brain would hold up.

Just downloaded Deighton's Berlin Game, the first Bernard Samson book. :D
You don't have to be smart to see how fucked up this shit is. Jimmy Dore

Jimbo

Re: Historical fiction

Postby Jimbo » 09 Jul 2020, 07:20

Hornet Flight by Ken Follett

Finished this on my walk last night. I wouldn't wholeheartedly recommend it - a bit too thrilling and too romantic - but it gave me a course on the German occupation of Denmark I hadn't known about.
You don't have to be smart to see how fucked up this shit is. Jimmy Dore

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 09 Jul 2020, 09:28

You've been posting present day fiction for quite a few years now, so it's hardly a surprise you prefer your history wrapped up in stories too.
So I got several cans of Pringles.But what they don't fucking tell you..is that the primary ingredient is something called "olean" which I have since learned is Latin for "Unwashable & Indestructible Ass Grease."

Flower

Postby Flower » 10 Jul 2020, 19:56

Attila the Judgement the third book in this trilogy is by far the best.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3617199-attila
If love could've saved you, you would've lived forever.