Doing nothing

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Doing nothing

Postby GoogaMooga » 29 Jun 2020, 23:17

How many hours per day should you spend doing nothing? Most people agree that stuffing your head with info and thoughts every waking moment is not advisable. What is needed is to relax, chill, recharge, stare into space. Ideally, for several hours in total. It's a luxury and to get the most out of it, don't try TM - that in itself is doing something. Just have a good stare into space, nice and quiet stare. You can even keep your mouth open and drool a bit, for effect.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Flower

Re: Doing nothing

Postby Flower » 30 Jun 2020, 01:03

I don't think that there is any set amount of time to do nothing as it varies from day to day. In nice weather, I often go up to the porch swing on the upper balcony and swing for about an hour but I'm watching birds and butterflies and listening to the birdsong while plotting to over throw the government or something.

I used to sit in my garden and watch bugs with my cat in the afternoon. Once, we even saw a hummingbird feeding in my Obedient Plants around a foot away from us. While not productive in a normal sense, it is communing with nature and sort of a positive doing nothing.

I tend to have more "doing nothing" time during the pandemic while I stay away from stores and people.

I don't drool or keep my mouth open :)
If love could've saved you, you would've lived forever.

The Dríver
Hippy Replacement

Postby The Dríver » 30 Jun 2020, 07:29

I try to switch off for a bit every day. Lie down, eyes closed, try to clear my mind. Sometimes it works, but it's quite tricky at the moment as I just have too many things to deal with.

I generally switch my phone off about an hour before bedtime so I can unwind, though I've been a bit remiss in that regard the past few nights.
He's a simpleton. 200 years ago they wouldn't have let him milk a cow.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 30 Jun 2020, 22:45

GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 01 Jul 2020, 06:21

Yes, if you can do nothing well then you too can find a career in the museum guard industry!
You don't have to be smart to see how fucked up this shit is. Jimmy Dore