Daily Mail becomes Britain's top selling paper

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Positive Passion

Daily Mail becomes Britain's top selling paper

Postby Positive Passion » 20 Jun 2020, 07:32

For non-UK posters, the Daily Mail is a right-wing newspaper whose readers think it constitutes quality journalism (in contrast to say, the Sun, the topselling paper for 42 years, whose readers largely know they read a comic). In the UK the print media still wields great power to influence public opinion and political policy. The Mail deliberately provides a platform for prejudice in its most unpleasant forms, and heavily promotes the concept and ideals of a jingoistic Englishness ("Little Englanders").
The near future remains dark.

Butch Manly
Utter Cad

Re: Daily Mail becomes Britain's top selling paper

Postby Butch Manly » 20 Jun 2020, 08:23

I'm not so sure all readers of the S*n know that it's a comic - and it's certainly perpetrated more than its fair share of hate and lies over the decades.

Has the Mail become best selling newspaper simply because its sales dip is less severe than the S*n's or are its sales figures actually on the increase?
Goatboy to Belle:

"I suggest you retreat to the safety of your Facebook bubble. Griff has a post he needs you to like."

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 20 Jun 2020, 09:11

Can we please stop giving them undeserved credibility by calling them newspapers? They are not - they are tabloids. Their work is not to inform, it is to inflame.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Positive Passion

Postby Positive Passion » 20 Jun 2020, 10:15

Butch Manly wrote:I'm not so sure all readers of the S*n know that it's a comic - and it's certainly perpetrated more than its fair share of hate and lies over the decades.

Has the Mail become best selling newspaper simply because its sales dip is less severe than the S*n's or are its sales figures actually on the increase?

Of course not all sun readers think that, as I noted. The main point - that Mail readers take it seriously - stands.

Sales figures - all papers are declining what with modern tech, but apparently to Sun's decline is twice as great as the Mail's.

C
Robust

Postby C » 20 Jun 2020, 12:29

Interestingly, or perhaps not, The Guardian is not in the top 10 regarding daily circulation

Also, a quick flick down the list provided by the Audit Bureau of Circulations suggests that most newspapers' circulation has halved in the period since 2010.

That is very consistent throughout the list.

Now, that's interesting

Last edited by C on 20 Jun 2020, 20:11, edited 1 time in total.
John aka Josh wrote:... not enough cowbell.

Sam Stone

Postby Sam Stone » 20 Jun 2020, 16:00

C wrote:Interestingly, or perhaps not, The Guardian is not in the top 10 regarding daily circulation

Also, a quick flick down the list provided by the Audit Bureau of Circulations suggests that most newspapers' circulation as halved in the period since 2010.

That is very consistent throughout the list.

Now, that's interesting

I don't suppose Covid has done papers any favours when it comes to selling physical copies either

I'm sure I read somewhere recently that the Gruaniad website is now the most visited news/newspaper site in the UK (it may well have been the world, but I don't have time to check it out right now)

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 20 Jun 2020, 19:05

Butch Manly wrote:I'm not so sure all readers of the S*n know that it's a comic - and it's certainly perpetrated more than its fair share of hate and lies over the decades.

Yes I suspect that this just shows that the Mail's readership hasn't plumetted as badly as the Sun's which is perhaps a consequence of an older demographic
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 21 Jun 2020, 22:22