16 weeks...

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
andymacandy
"Liberal Airhead"

Re: 16 weeks...

Postby andymacandy » 20 Jun 2020, 14:43

Like Andy, I knew the circumstances but wasnt sure how or if it had resolved itself.
At least you both know you are both safe.
Take it easy matey.
Bless the weather.......Image

The Dríver
Hippy Replacement

Postby The Dríver » 21 Jun 2020, 10:32

Thanks folks for your kind words. It makes the load a little lighter having just got it out there.

We have missed both of our birthdays, and next weekend is our 20th wedding anniversary. It's gutting.
He's a simpleton. 200 years ago they wouldn't have let him milk a cow.

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 21 Jun 2020, 11:40

take care fella
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

souphound
World Class Ignoramus

Postby souphound » 21 Jun 2020, 19:16

The Dríver wrote:Thanks folks for your kind words. It makes the load a little lighter having just got it out there.

We have missed both of our birthdays, and next weekend is our 20th wedding anniversary. It's gutting.

Again, sorry dude. Is the loosening up of UK visitor restrictions in Spain not helping at all? I'm really far removed from that particular situation, so, am just curious.
Footy wrote:Last week, I discovered that the cordless drill I bought about 5 years ago is, in fact, a cordless screwdiver.

The Dríver
Hippy Replacement

Postby The Dríver » 21 Jun 2020, 20:52

souphound wrote:
The Dríver wrote:Thanks folks for your kind words. It makes the load a little lighter having just got it out there.

Again, sorry dude. Is the loosening up of UK visitor restrictions in Spain not helping at all? I'm really far removed from that particular situation, so, am just curious.

It's raised our hopes a bit. We had already paid fo the flight, but the airline hasn't made any bookings available for Aug 1st so that was the date we rebooked onto. There are signs that things are opening up a little earlier, so if they bring forward their start date we'll bring it forward. Fingers crossed.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 22 Jun 2020, 05:18

Just seeing this. Fingers crossed for August, and in the meantime take care of yourself!

The Dríver
Hippy Replacement

Postby The Dríver » 23 Jun 2020, 11:13

Light at the end of the tunnel - start date of flights starting to come forward. I can't wait for the situation to be resolved. It's an emotional and financial strain, but at last I have some cause for optimism.

The Dríver
Hippy Replacement

Postby The Dríver » 26 Jun 2020, 09:13

Pleased to say we will be reunited in 4 weeks' time. It is both uplifting (as the end is in sight) and depressing (it's another month to wait). There are days when I struggle with it. Four months apart already feels like an eternity and the fact that it will be yet another month is something I'm trying not to think about. Not having had anyone to hug or hold in all this time has been awful.

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 26 Jun 2020, 09:30

That's good news, but those 4 weeks will feel like an eternity I bet.

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 28 Jun 2020, 18:34

What a nightmare. I have heard of people being trapped, but this seems a very long time to be separated. I really hope it all goes to plan, and that all this nonsense in the UK does not result in another spike causing further delay. All the best.
You don't like me...do you?

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 28 Jun 2020, 19:51

A good friend of mine, a Scot and her husband, a Kiwi, flew to New Zealand to stay with his folks in January to escape the far northwest of Scotland winter. They now can't get back but they Are together. There's no long haul flights out and none scheduled. It's now winter on the South Island of New Zealand so they have the wrong clothes and footwear and up to just recently, no shops open to buy new. Luckily, they have one income as her husband has essential labour status (agricultural) but my friend can't consider working as an agency nurse (she's a UK RN) as she would risk exposing herself to C19.

It's crazy.

The Dríver
Hippy Replacement

Postby The Dríver » 29 Jun 2020, 12:13

Samoan wrote:A good friend of mine, a Scot and her husband, a Kiwi, flew to New Zealand to stay with his folks in January to escape the far northwest of Scotland winter. They now can't get back but they Are together. There's no long haul flights out and none scheduled. It's now winter on the South Island of New Zealand so they have the wrong clothes and footwear and up to just recently, no shops open to buy new. Luckily, they have one income as her husband has essential labour status (agricultural) but my friend can't consider working as an agency nurse (she's a UK RN) as she would risk exposing herself to C19.

It's crazy.

That's horrible. I see quite a lot of stories of couples stranded abroad, and equally of people stuck in the UK trying to get back to their homes abroad. It's a shame she can't be allowed to do some other kind of work in the meantime.

We have one income and I'm having to run two properties and send subsistence money to my wife, on top of having had no work for the first three months of this year which chewed through much of my savings. Stressful doesn't cover it!

souphound
World Class Ignoramus

Postby souphound » 29 Jun 2020, 13:01

trans-chigley express wrote:That's good news, but those 4 weeks will feel like an eternity I bet.

Should give him enough time to clean up those dishes he's been piling up as well as the dirty clothes on the floor I'd think. ;)

Seriously, for bad news, I guess it's as good as it gets. Hang in there Andy. The day is coming.
Footy wrote:Last week, I discovered that the cordless drill I bought about 5 years ago is, in fact, a cordless screwdiver.

The Dríver
Hippy Replacement

Postby The Dríver » 29 Jun 2020, 22:13

souphound wrote:
trans-chigley express wrote:That's good news, but those 4 weeks will feel like an eternity I bet.

Should give him enough time to clean up those dishes he's been piling up as well as the dirty clothes on the floor I'd think. ;)

Actually, dishes and clothes I've kept on top of. I could have done a bit more vacuuming, though :)

To add insult to injury both the dishwasher and oven have packed up. We're gonna have to do without those for a bit. *sigh*

Flower

Postby Flower » 30 Jun 2020, 00:47

I wouldn't worry about vacuuming or dusting until your wife's plane is landing.

Have you tried the old "turning off the circuit breaker" trick? It's worked for me in the past for the dishwasher. Also, there are often "hints" online for minor repairs if you look up your make and model number. Sometimes it's just the pushing of several buttons at the same time or not but it's worth a try if you have the time and patience.

Good luck. :D
If love could've saved you, you would've lived forever.

The Dríver
Hippy Replacement

Postby The Dríver » 30 Jun 2020, 07:17

Flower wrote:I wouldn't worry about vacuuming or dusting until your wife's plane is landing.

Have you tried the old "turning off the circuit breaker" trick? It's worked for me in the past for the dishwasher. Also, there are often "hints" online for minor repairs if you look up your make and model number. Sometimes it's just the pushing of several buttons at the same time or not but it's worth a try if you have the time and patience.

Good luck. :D

Yeah, I've checked. The dishwasher appears to be the heating element - it starts and takes in water but doesn't complete the job as it can't heat the water or dry the dishes. Possibly repairable but I can't spare the cash.

Oven is terminal. Horrible grinding noise from the fan which gets increasingly worse before the whole thing switches off after about 8 minutes. It's probably 15-20 years old, which is likely around its life expectancy.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 30 Jun 2020, 22:52

Unreal.

It's kind of uncannily like the premise of the JG Ballard short story "Having a Wonderful Time."

I hope things resolve successfully and quickly!
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 01 Jul 2020, 06:18

I'd be sad too but my wife would be thrilled with an opportunity like that.
You don't have to be smart to see how fucked up this shit is. Jimmy Dore

souphound
World Class Ignoramus

Postby souphound » 01 Jul 2020, 07:36

Quelle surprise!?!?!?!?

:o

The Dríver
Hippy Replacement

Postby The Dríver » 01 Jul 2020, 16:36

Jimbo wrote:I'd be sad too but my wife would be thrilled with an opportunity like that.

:D

She's already sent me links to ones she has seen online.