16 weeks...

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
The Dríver
Hippy Replacement

16 weeks...

Postby The Dríver » 16 Jun 2020, 11:36

... is a long time.

I've kept quiet about this on the all-snooping Facebook, but in the relative anonimity of here I can mention it. 16 weeks is how long it is since i last saw my wife, as she was getting much needed winter sun in the Canary Islands. I was due to go out in March for a week and we would come home together. Covid screwed that up. We had faith at the time that the government would organise the repatriation flights, but they screwed us over by not arranging any. There have been no practical options for a solo traveller.

We have had 5 return flights booked, all of which have been cancelled. The only consolation is that on the entire island there have only been 46 cases and none of them fatal, so arguably she's still getting sunshine and less chance of infection. We're very much a self-contained unit - both have lost both parents, and don't have any family nearby - and whilst a planned separation when she's getting her vitamin D is fine (not least because it's peppered with weekend trips when I visit) the inability to be together at all and the uncertainty over when that will end is frustrating as hell. It's unbelievably tough at times.

We have a flight booked for 1 August. We still have no idea if it will happen but we can hope. I'm sincerely hoping that the lockdown measures put in place across Europe have been sufficient to control this virus, because if there is a second wave and restrictions are reimposed, well, I can't bear to think about it.

I'm not posting this for attention; it's more about catharsis. I won't talk about it on Facebook - my wife is an very private person, and I respect that - but as I said there's some anonimity here, but not letting it out somewhere is like a pressure cooker with no release valve.

The recent BLM stuff has been, absurdly, a positive thing because it has given us something to feel positive about. It's invigorating to see so much coming out into the open and for the first time in a long time there's a degree of hope about something. At the same time, for me currently it's more a case of Black Wives Matter.

So if you see a weird post on FB or if I snap or seem out of sorts you'll understand why. Normal service will be resumed eventually.

Stay safe everyone.
Last edited by The Dríver on 16 Jun 2020, 12:29, edited 1 time in total.
He's a simpleton. 200 years ago they wouldn't have let him milk a cow.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Re: 16 weeks...

Postby Minnie the Minx » 16 Jun 2020, 11:46

Andrew- I’m speechless. I can’t begin to imagine.
I sincerely hope that you are reunited soon.
Fucking hell love.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Footy
Filler

Postby Footy » 16 Jun 2020, 12:03

What Minnie said.
Grab your coat sweetheart....I've got a knife.

The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia

Postby The Prof » 16 Jun 2020, 12:44

On a technical note, is she in a hotel being charged every night? or does insurance cover stuff like this?

Hope you're reunited soon.

The Dríver
Hippy Replacement

Postby The Dríver » 16 Jun 2020, 13:31

Minnie the Minx wrote:Andrew- I’m speechless. I can’t begin to imagine.
I sincerely hope that you are reunited soon.
Fucking hell love.

Thanks, Anna.

Footy wrote:What Minnie said.

Don't call me 'Love' in public. I've told you before.

The Prof wrote:On a technical note, is she in a hotel being charged every night? or does insurance cover stuff like this?

Thankfully we have our own little flat, so accommodation isn't a problem. Two sets of household bills to manage, but a proportion of that would need to be paid anyway. Extra cost I could do without, yes, but not enough to bankrupt me.

The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia

Postby The Prof » 16 Jun 2020, 13:35

Ah!

The Dríver
Hippy Replacement

Postby The Dríver » 16 Jun 2020, 13:40

yep, better than if we were renting. On the downside, because it is only for holiday purposes there's no internet connection and precious few English TV channels on TV she is bouncing off the walls there sometimes. Less of a problem now that lockdown has lifted and she can actually get out and about.

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 16 Jun 2020, 13:53

That sounds tough, Andrew. 16 weeks and counting is an awful long time to be apart. I hope you can be together soon.

I feel lucky to have got off pretty lightly throughout the pandemic. No full on lockdown, my family are with me, our health is good and I still have a job. Many others have not been so fortunate including some close friends so I count my blessings and take nothing for granted.

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 16 Jun 2020, 14:29

I'm so sorry for your plight Andrew. Hope the situation is eased soon x
Nikki Gradual wrote:
Get a fucking grip you narcissistic cretins.

Dr. Baron
Diamond Geezer

Postby Dr. Baron » 16 Jun 2020, 15:26

Man, that sounds like the pits! Hang in there, hopefully something will shake loose soon.
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Jumper K

Postby Jumper K » 16 Jun 2020, 16:08

After 16 weeks at home with Mrs JKB can we facilitate a swap in circumstances? Seriously, condolences Andrew. Hoping you are reunited soon.

Sam Stone

Postby Sam Stone » 16 Jun 2020, 16:42

Hope you are back together soon.

Six String

Postby Six String » 16 Jun 2020, 18:39

Sorry to hear of your troubles Andrew. Sixteen weeks, jeez. That's a long time. Hope things work out in August.

Butch Manly
Utter Cad

Postby Butch Manly » 17 Jun 2020, 13:13

I did know about this but wasn't going to bring it up with you - maybe I should have done in private some time before now. It's good that you've written it down, mate - get it off your chest. Let's hope it all works out for you both sooner rather than later.
Goatboy to Belle:

"I suggest you retreat to the safety of your Facebook bubble. Griff has a post he needs you to like."

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 17 Jun 2020, 15:48

I do remember you mentioning it quite early on Andy but didn't realise it was still ongoing..... jeez man.... tough stuff. Hope you get to see eachother soon, my man.
People go on too much about the privileged background of politicians but actually Matt Hancock had a very humble upbringing in an Italian workshop owned by a woodworker named Geppetto who turned him into a human boy.

C
Robust

Postby C » 17 Jun 2020, 20:12

That is really tough Andy - I am very sorry to hear about your position.

I hope the situation eases and things get sorted for you both soon

x
John aka Josh wrote:... not enough cowbell.

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 19 Jun 2020, 12:40

I can only echo others' sentiments, Andy. My wife spent a month in Kenya a few years ago and that was the longest we'd ever been apart. That was tough enough - I can't imagine 16+ weeks away from each other. Take care, man, and I hope you're reunited as soon as possible.
If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.

Butch Manly
Utter Cad

Postby Butch Manly » 19 Jun 2020, 13:10

On the upside, it's been non-stop Quo for sixteen weeks round Andy's.
Goatboy to Belle:

"I suggest you retreat to the safety of your Facebook bubble. Griff has a post he needs you to like."

kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos

Postby kath » 19 Jun 2020, 20:30

ohhh man. that's hard. here's hoping for a happy reunion as soon as possible.

LMG
Gentleman Thug

Postby LMG » 20 Jun 2020, 09:44

Very sorry to hear that, Andy. I hope you are both bearing up ok and weathering the ups and downs (to mix metaphors).
'You're sort of the Hillary Clinton of the Black Cat Bone Prog Synchronised Listen Artists Under Consideration - everyone knows who you are, but you just can't seem to get where you need to be.'