Having your own pool

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Having your own pool

Postby Minnie the Minx » 11 Jun 2020, 17:30

As our temperatures hit 105 here I've been dreaming of taking long swims. Some of our spring fed pools have opened up, but it's clearly not a good idea currently to be in a spring with a load of panting swimmers. Next door have a paddling pool for their dog which I've been looking at with increasing jealousy. There are quite a few people with pools in our hood - which is just a quiet suburb. I always thought that to have a pool you had to be incredibly rich - that's probably quite a British view. But we don't live in a wealthy neighbourhood, and there are about 10 houses with pools in a 2 mile radius which you can see on aerial views. I walk past them a lot daily, and it seems to me that only half of the people who have them actually have them filled with water. Why would you have a house with a pool, and then not use it? I am guessing that keeping them maintained, clean, free of critters, is the expense? Houses with pools round here don't seem to sell for more than houses without. Do they increase the value of a house? Or what?
Do you have a pool? Would you want one?
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Re: Having your own pool

Postby Minnie the Minx » 11 Jun 2020, 17:44

From a distance this thread looks like it’s called ‘having your own poo!’

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Positive Passion

Postby Positive Passion » 11 Jun 2020, 19:41

If I lived in the west or mid- west I would definitely want a pool. Cleaning etc is no doubt a cost, but surely there is lots of competition in the pool-cleaning industry. I have never heard of it being prohibitive. That said, none of my wife's relatives (who mainly live in the mid-west) have a pool, though my wife did have one growing up in an OKC suburb. If/when we ,move to the states we will go inner DC, probably, and probably won't have a pool.

Here in Mile End, east London, very few houses have a pool. But then my local public pool is the 2012 Olympics pool.

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 11 Jun 2020, 19:55

The Texas heat sure makes you want one, we have come close to getting one several times and currently its still a plan, tho its cheaper to get one done in the off season. They don't however add any value to you home apparently, and do a cost a bit to maintain - my parents had a pool at their house back in NZ and we loved it, but you do have to take care of it , keep it clean, and keep the PH right - but I would love to be able to dive right in right about now and we still plan to get one sooner rather than later I hope.

souphound
World Class Ignoramus

Postby souphound » 11 Jun 2020, 21:31

I'm not much of a pool man myself. I live in an appt. across the street from a wonderful municipal pool-in-the-park and I haven't been in years. Of course, it usually only opens end of June since, for one thing, it seems t be manned 100% by students. Also, well, it's closed due to the virus and there's no word whether it will open at all this year.

That being said, I'd like to chime in on a pool having an effect on a property's value. First, above-ground pools should have little effect. They are fairly easy to remove if the buyer doesn't want it or changes his/her mind later on. So, little effect.

An in-ground pool is a different story. In some cases, it may increase the value, depending how well it is preserved and the decor and all. It may also reduce the value as some potential buyers will want to take it out or fill it in or something. The biggest effect methinks is that having an in-ground pool will tend to reduce the field of potential buyers, making it more difficult to sell.

Plus, for both types, there are additional liability risks involved (leading to proper fencing, blocked access......).

I would never have one. Never have, never will.

A poo on the oter hand....... :oops: :lol:
Footy wrote:Last week, I discovered that the cordless drill I bought about 5 years ago is, in fact, a cordless screwdiver.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 12 Jun 2020, 03:17

Mike Boom wrote:The Texas heat sure makes you want one

I swear to God.
It's a good job the winters are so gorgeous.
I don't know how anyone lives in this.

Dr Markus wrote:

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 12 Jun 2020, 03:21

souphound wrote:
I would never have one. Never have, never will.

I enjoyed having one at the apartment when I first moved here, but really, it was somewhere that people went and hung out and drank around rather than swimming in. I'd spend half my time scooping out half drowned beetles. If anything drowned in a pool at my house, I couldn't live with myself.

Dr Markus wrote:

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 12 Jun 2020, 04:52

I'm missing my laps at the condos near Olympic sized pool during this virus. Trying to decide if I will go back, thinking I can go when it opens get my laps in and go home.

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 12 Jun 2020, 05:34

My apartment block clubhouse has a very nice outdoor pool (and an indoor one too for the winter) which I use in the evening when I just want too cool off (it's steaming hot in HK right now too). I do most of my swimming and cooling down in the sea or at the many lovely local mountain streams and waterfall pools near me which are beautifully clear and clean and often deserted so you have it all to yourself.

Houses with pools are strictly for the rich here and I can't imagine ever being in a position to have one but I think I would if I could, even if it's just a very small one as it's not so much for swimming in but just to cool off from the oppressive heat.