How much food do you waste? Why?

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
souphound
World Class Ignoramus

How much food do you waste? Why?

Postby souphound » 31 May 2020, 22:40

I have to admit, I waste a lot of food. Way too much.

First, I live alone (my cat will not touch human food), so single portions can be tricky to manage. Say you buy a frozen pizza, once you're eaten 1/2 or 3/4, the last thing you (well I) want is more pizza. The rest goes in the fridge and gets thrown out on garbage night.

Second, I have a surprisingly small appetite. I have to force myself to eat basically. So, I keep the fridge and pantry loaded so that if the hunger calls, I can find something quickly. Then I overfill my plate because I try to eat as much as possible of it before giving up.

Third, I'm very touchy about best before dates. If it's too close, why risk it? It ain't worth it, right?

So? How much food do you waste? Why?
Footy wrote:Last week, I discovered that the cordless drill I bought about 5 years ago is, in fact, a cordless screwdiver.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Re: How much food do you waste? Why?

Postby Minnie the Minx » 01 Jun 2020, 00:18

As close to no waste as we can be. I don't know if you have kerbside composting where you are - I seem to recall K-Tel talking about having it - but it has certainly turned us from low-waste to no waste. Before kerbside, we put all vegetable peelings, coffee grounds and compostable stuff into our own compost. But, we couldn't put cooked veg that had been cooked in or with oil into that. We can put virtually everything into the kerbside compost, and we do. We utilize our freezer a lot and I will freeze even tiny amounts of food. I loathe food waste. I'm not being judgmental -it's just something I can't abide.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos

Postby kath » 01 Jun 2020, 01:18

we don't do composting here.

but my very sweet bro-in-law sam... he grew up with five brothers and two sisters, no money. it shaped him. sumthin in the fridge literally has to be green and crawlin on its own newly sprouted, mildewy legs for him not to eat it, mwhaha. every now and then, he'll come up to me with some container of some such and ask me what i think. i can't even smell all that well, cuz i'm a smoker. i think that's why he asks me. he knows if *i* say, sam, throw the crap out right this very now, he knows i mean it.

it is very rare for us to throw anything out.

he won't even throw out disposable paper plates (into the recycling, which new orleans happens to be kickass at) until they look just like dali watches.

i love sam.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 01 Jun 2020, 02:25

Dieting propaganda says it is better to throw food into the trash than into your stomach. Either way it'd end up as mulch.

My wife disagrees and makes me eat every single grain of rice left in my bowl.
You don't have to be smart to see how fucked up this shit is. Jimmy Dore

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 01 Jun 2020, 04:39

Don't understand conflating composting with wasting food. But if you want to talk composting allow me to brag about our Panasonic composting machine. Into it I throw coffee grounds, egg shells, peelings and peels, chicken bones, fat almost anything organic. The machine doesn't like onion skin as it dries up and floats into the fan. Used after midnight when electricity rates drop, in a few hours It dries up and reduces a bucketful of wet waste into a scentless soil-like substance. The city paid half for the machine and once a week a city worker comes by to pick up the compost we leave outside the door.

You don't have to be smart to see how fucked up this shit is. Jimmy Dore

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 01 Jun 2020, 11:55

If it were me in charge, we'd waste shitloads.

Thankfully my wife is in charge of food and virtually everything gets used, so little in the way of wastage. It's a proper skill - and one that isn't easily learned either. She is the EMPRESS of the store cupboard surprise, but the reason why she's able to do that is by having all the various things like anchovies, capers, little bits of this and that, harissa, tahini and loads of other shit in jars that make it so fully stocked at all times. It is the larder that complements your food more than anything else - so it's worth spending money on that to ensure that more prosaic, everyday ingredients spring to life.

A lot of it comes down to buying food little and often, rather than buying weekly or even bi-weekly. We're a little bit privileged like that - my wife works from home and can pop to a local farm shop to buy a few things, rather than stock up on food at the supermarket where inevitably you buy more than you need, because well, that's what supermarkets do isn't it - make you spend more money than you need to.

So, avoid the supermarkets if at all possible, plan ahead what you are going to eat and avoid pre-packaged or prepared food where possible.

Flower

Postby Flower » 01 Jun 2020, 13:51

I live with a Food Nazi who has no respect for "use by dates" .. I normally, clear out anything that would upset the Food Nazi once a week. I clear out anything that's expired, take all bread ends, fruit that is starting to look sad, cereal that is expired or not to my taste, etc. and in the early morning, I place the unused (sort of wasted) food on a small hillside down the block where birds, squirrels, skunks and whatever gather. The Food Nazi is aware of this but not to the extent. :D

When I was single, I would usually purchase a large pizza, eat a slice or two and freeze the rest, defrosting it slice by slice. I would also freeze muffins, bagels, etc. if there were too many in a package to be eaten in a timely manner. Dr. Oetker's pizzas are a nice snack for two people but a bit much for one person, so if I'm alone for the evening, I eat half and keep the other half warm for later.

I don't know what recycling has to do with wasting food but all peelings, coffee grounds, egg shells, chicken bones, etc. go into the compostable bin in a compostable bag.

In general, I try not to waste food, shop small and often as not to waste fresh veggies, etc. by purchasing too much at a time. So we often don't have a major choice in fresh fruit varieties but we waste less than most of my friends.
If love could've saved you, you would've lived forever.

Flower

Postby Flower » 02 Jun 2020, 17:27

I find that purchasing the smaller bags of mixed lettuce, adding a tomato or whatever, saves on "salad waste" ... A small bag is good for four side salads or a large salad for two when mixed with cut up chicken breast, avocado or a drained can of tuna.

souphound
World Class Ignoramus

Postby souphound » 02 Jun 2020, 17:34

Flower wrote:I find that purchasing the smaller bags of mixed lettuce, adding a tomato or whatever, saves on "salad waste" ... A small bag is good for four side salads or a large salad for two when mixed with cut up chicken breast, avocado or a drained can of tuna.

I'm with you. Unless it's something that can be frozen (certainly not lettuce), large bags of stuff only lead to waste in this household, which I really dislike. I make most of my lunches for work, but still, I'm always left with leftovers. :x
Footy wrote:Last week, I discovered that the cordless drill I bought about 5 years ago is, in fact, a cordless screwdiver.

martha
rambling rose

Postby martha » 09 Jun 2020, 15:44

I tend to waste produce and bread. The moisture or mold conditions or something here in Boston make it so that bread which in all the states I have lived in before (California Oregon Washington Montana Colorado Arizona New Mexico Minnesota Illinois and Michigan) lasted over a week without a bread box molds within 3 days.

Those same conditions or possibly just the fact that my refrigerator is an old barely functional unit (because we rent and that's what was supplied by the landlord) tends to over humidify my produce until it is weirdly limp and saturated with liquid in less than 4 days.

So we find ourselves throwing away bread, buns, dinner rolls and muffins because of mold and we find ourselves throwing away spring onions, sprouts, cabbage, bell peppers and herbs because they become limp soggy and slimy in a very short period of time.

To reduce the amount of waste generated in the house We used to shop every few days but during Corona virus that just isn't possible. Because of my immune system we all try to stay in and not go out for any thing right now. So I have groceries delivered, But I can only get a grocery delivery about once every two weeks. I've been trying to freeze the bread and to just use a lot of frozen produce since the fresh stuff spoils but every week we throw away some bread and some vegetables because of mold and sliminess.
--m.

souphound
World Class Ignoramus

Postby souphound » 09 Jun 2020, 21:05

Hi Martha. Boston now, eh?

One of my problems is that I tend to impulse buy. Oh look, blueberries. If I bought those, I may eat them within a few days, just cause they're there and they're ready to go as is. Often, I buy them and just throw them out a week later.

BTW, I'm really good at recycling but as for composting, never have even though we do have door-service. :oops:

Flower

Postby Flower » 10 Jun 2020, 12:11

The Food Nazi often whines that I didn't remind him to eat this or that. :lol:

I'm happy that there are places where I can use the "wasted" food to feed various animals.