Coming soon to a face near you - the boot of Xi's Chinazi party

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
trans-chigley express

Re: RIP Hong Kong 1842 - 2020

Postby trans-chigley express » 26 Jun 2020, 09:48

Sam Stone wrote:.

Namely, what a bunch of cunts Xi and his cronies are.

If what they are doing with the National Security Laws in HK wasn't bad enough, they are now seriously pushing their luck on the Indian border

Their continual bullying of other Asian nations has been going on for years and it's not going to stop anytime soon. They regard the entire South China Sea as their own. The average Asian nation is too weak to do much about it.

Sam Stone

Postby Sam Stone » 26 Jun 2020, 13:15

trans-chigley express wrote:
Sam Stone wrote:
Geezee wrote:
It's true that I have not lived there, but my job is to compare healthcare systems.
Most modern medicines still do not reach Hong Kong. The Hospital Authority has an extremely restrictive (not to mention corrupt) system to provide access for eg. the latest cancer medicines. HK has good hospital care (as does much of China) but the actual treatments are still effectively those of an emerging market.

Again, that was not my experience. Nor does it seem to have been the experience of the two other current/former HK residents here.

I think Geezee's info is plain wrong to be honest (or perhaps muddled with the rest of China as his description tallies closely with the realities of China`s healthcare) . The healthcare system here is every bit the equal to UK. My sister-in-law is a senior doctor in a Government Hospital (and has been successfully treated for cancer with the latest medicines) and she disagrees strongly with GZ's assessment including the allegations of corruption.

I think you’re right.

As his assumptions about HK’s history were equally wide of the mark, it would seem that his company is getting its info direct from the CCP cadres in Beijing

Sam Stone

Postby Sam Stone » 01 Jul 2020, 08:46

And so the crackdown and oppression begins

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... nniversary

Today, Hong Kong, the Eighurs and the Indian border. Tomorrow, Taiwan and every scrap of disputed mineral-rich island in the South China Sea.

Really is time the West started taking a stand. Some form of economic boycott would seem to be the logical place to start.

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Re: Mainland Chinese oppression: Today, Hong Kong. Tomrorow Taiwan and the South China Sea

Postby KeithPratt » 01 Jul 2020, 10:27

It will not end well I fear. China will go in hard because it knows it can.

What I find so insulting is that actualoppression is going on in China - the forced sterilization of Xighuirs and real evidence of concentration camps.

Is anyone protesting outside the Chinese embassy? No, they're protesting about BLM.

Sam Stone

Re: Mainland Chinese oppression: Today, Hong Kong. Tomrorow Taiwan and the South China Sea

Postby Sam Stone » 01 Jul 2020, 11:48

KeithPratt wrote:It will not end well I fear. China will go in hard because it knows it can.

What I find so insulting is that actualoppression is going on in China - the forced sterilization of Xighuirs and real evidence of concentration camps.

Is anyone protesting outside the Chinese embassy? No, they're protesting about BLM.

Assuming you've not already seen it, Toby, check out last year's excellent three-part BBC series, China The New World Order - should still be on iPlayer - the first part of which is nearly all about what they are doing to the Eighurs.

A mate of mine - a journalist who you would think really would know better - is married to a mainland Chinese woman whose family are academics who've dome very well out of Xi and his colleagues in the Chinazi party.

He and his wife started to email me so much untrammelled shite about how wonderful the murderous gang that head up the CCP are that I've effectively stopped having anything to do with them.

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 01 Jul 2020, 12:58

Raab says that this represents a breaking of the declaration.

I wonder what the consequences will be. It will be interesting - China, of course, will be furious, yet anti CCP sentiment is rising around the world.

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 12 Aug 2020, 04:02

At the top of yesterday's Japanese TV news was not corona but actually something different: Arrests in Hong Kong of prominent anti-China activists. But then on The Grayzone site Max Blumenthal calls out this American activist hiding his writings under a "yellowface" pseudonym. I am wondering if this new and sudden-seeming move by the Chinese government in Hong Kong was triggered by Max's outing of this guy. No matter how you feel about the Chinese government this is a fascinating read.

Hong Kong August 8, 2020
Western media’s favorite Hong Kong ‘freedom struggle writer’ is American ex-Amnesty staffer in yellowface

An American man with ties to Amnesty International and key Hong Kong separatist figures has been posing online as a Hong Kong native named Kong Tsung-gan. Routinely cited as a grassroots activist and writer by major media organizations and published in English-language media, the fictitious character Kong appears to have been concocted to disseminate anti-China propaganda behind the cover of yellowface.

https://thegrayzone.com/2020/08/08/hong ... g-amnesty/
kath wrote: *which is the real reason he can fucque off and rot for the rest of time.

Jimbo wrote: So Kath, put on your puka love beads ... Then go fuque yourself.

Sam Stone

Postby Sam Stone » 29 Sep 2020, 10:22

Three nonths on from Xi's trashing of the One Country Two Systems treaty with the UK 27 years early, here's a Q and A that shows just how draconian the Chinazis' new National Security Laws really are

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... curity-law

While the mass protests may have slipped away "like water", Hongkongers' resistance hasn't

https://www.theguardian.com/world/galle ... n-pictures

Sam Stone

Re: Coming soon to a face near you - the boot of Xi's Chinazi party

Postby Sam Stone » 02 Dec 2020, 09:04

24-year old Umbrella movement figurehead, Joshua Wong and two other pro-democracy activists, gaoled for protesting outside a police station ahead of China's illegal imposition of draconian security laws on Hong Kong. Wong began his one-year sentence in solitary confinement.

Interesting to read the reactions of the formerly free HK media:

The first is from the independent HK Free Press; not, one would imagine, a site easily accessible from with China or HK.

https://hongkongfp.com/2020/12/02/break ... -assembly/

The other is from the once almost universally respected and now shamelessly Chinese Communist Party kowtowing South China Morning Post (a newspaper for which I'm ashamed to say I once used to write)

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/law ... -year-jail

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 03 Dec 2020, 04:38

The Government's answer to every problem these days is to hand out prison sentences for everything. Refusing a Covid test, not telling authorities your close contacts, throwing eggs, not being respectful to the National Anthem etc. can all land you in prison. Protesting anything will get you arrested in no time. It's fast becoming a police state and it's no surprise to see so many locals clamouring to apply for BNO passports after the UK Government's proposal which China is furious about.

Sam Stone wrote:The other is from the once almost universally respected and now shamelessly Chinese Communist Party kowtowing South China Morning Post (a newspaper for which I'm ashamed to say I once used to write)

You're right, it's little better than China Daily these days.

jimboo

Postby jimboo » 03 Dec 2020, 12:31

trans-chigley express wrote:It's fast becoming a police state and it's no surprise to see so many locals clamouring to apply for BNO passports after the UK Government's proposal which China is furious about.

I know there is more to it than my flippant comment below but....
How could anyone in Hong Kong honestly believe that this or similar wouldn't happen?
I am not in anyway in agreement of their policy or lack sympathy towards the protesters plight. Personally, had I have been brought up in Hong Kong I would have sold up and left a long time before the U.K actually signed a deal with China.
As for economic boycotts mentioned earlier , how would that work? We stop or slow the production and selling of Chinese imports ? That would be economically boycotting ourselves wouldn't it ?
If I jerk- the handle jerk- the handle you'll thrill me and thrill me

Sam Stone

Postby Sam Stone » 03 Dec 2020, 13:45

jimboo wrote:
trans-chigley express wrote:It's fast becoming a police state and it's no surprise to see so many locals clamouring to apply for BNO passports after the UK Government's proposal which China is furious about.

I know there is more to it than my flippant comment below but....
How could anyone in Hong Kong honestly believe that this or similar wouldn't happen?
I am not in anyway in agreement of their policy or lack sympathy towards the protesters plight. Personally, had I have been brought up in Hong Kong I would have sold up and left a long time before the U.K actually signed a deal with China.
As for economic boycotts mentioned earlier , how would that work? We stop or slow the production and selling of Chinese imports ? That would be economically boycotting ourselves wouldn't it ?

Perhaps the easiest way to - try and - answer your first question is to look at what's happened (and is continuing to happen) in HK from a generational perspective.

Following Mao's ascent to power in the late 40s and 50s, many mainlanders fled China and made their home in HK. While poorly educated, most of these guys were very very shrewd businessmen and effectively transformed the Territory to the economic powerhouse it became in the 80s and 90s. Naturally, having seen the damage the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) had wrought to their communities back home, the majority of this generation had/have no love for the People's Republic (PRC).

Fast forward 30 or 40 years to the mid-1980s and the signing of the Joint Declaration. The sons and daughters of those who found refuge in HK are now making their own way in the world have seen their parents' suspicions of China justified by the Cultural Revolution of the late 60s and early 70s. Not trusting the PRC as far as they could throw it, many of this generation wisely hedge their bets by taking out joint citizenship in countries like Canada and then commuting back and forth to Asia.

Ultimately, those who could make good their escape before the 1997 handover did as you said and got out while the going was good. Sadly, Joshua Wong and his fellow pro-democracy protestors in 2014's peaceful umbrella movement weren't nearly so lucky.

When the music stopped, younger Hongkongers like JW - the majority of them not even alive in 1997 - found themselves being systematically stripped of one civil liberty after another by the CCP. Matters became even worse when the increasingly wealthy Mainlanders began buying up HK real estate driving up the price of a far from sizeable (believe me I lived in enough of them) 700 sq. ft. apartment to around a million quid.

The biggest tragedy of them all came when once universally respected and trusted institutions like the Hong Kong Police turned on the very people who looked to them to 'protect and serve'. Given the genuinely terrifying events that the police stood by and let happen at Yuen Long MTR (underground) station in July 2019, these kids have every right to fear for their future.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/22/worl ... -long.html

As for your second question.

The reason why the world needs to hold China to account isn't because of what is being allowed to happen in HK.

HK as it was when I was lucky enough to live and work there between 1986 and 2013 has long gone.

Sadly, that was just the start. Given the proverbial inch, Xi and his Chinazi mates are now taking a mile by carrying out sickening atrocities aimed at subjugating their Eighur moslem countrymen and women in Xinjiang Province.

Then there are the CCP's shameless land grabs across SE Asia (the Spratly islands), and sinister Belt and Road take over of strategic infrastructure assets in poorer countries like Sri Lanka.

jimboo

Postby jimboo » 03 Dec 2020, 17:46

Thanks Sam for your reply.
While you're historical perspective is and was a good read it didn't in anyway make me believe anything other than my remark.
I'm stating the bleeding obvious. I think the CCP systematically destroying everything from politicians and laws and the HK police and feathering their own nests etc Begs the question.

The real and only surprise us how well the protesters raised awareness around the world and a bigger harsher crackdown didn't occur sooner.
To be honest China's land grabbing and treatment of certain races and those deemed to be different does not make them unique in the world. Police oppression , torture and ethnic cleansing. Try finding a continent where it isn't/doesn't happen.
I understand why you want economic sanctions but you didn't tell me how that could possibly happen.

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » Yesterday, 04:44

jimboo wrote:

People did anticipate it, hence the urgency in acquiring overseas passports prior to the handover. What surprised most people is that it didn't happen much sooner as life in HK went on as normal for a couple of decades before sinister signs of China's interference started to be noticed. The extradition bill in 2019 really kicked things off as this was a clear indication of China's intent to clamp down on anyone with opposing views. That was eventually scrapped after months of protest but the new National Security law has effectively removed freedom of speech and the chance to protest against any law the Government wishes to introduce (or more truthfully, what China tells the Government to introduce) without being thrown into prison.

Leaving HK is an absolute last resort for Hongkongers and expats alike including myself. They love the place and don't want to leave without a fight.

Now that the BNO passport offers a gateway to British citizenship there are a lot of people applying for that right now. I hope Britain is ready for 3 million Hongkongers turning up :)

Sam Stone

Postby Sam Stone » Yesterday, 09:00

jimboo wrote:
I'm stating the bleeding obvious. I think the CCP systematically destroying everything from politicians and laws and the HK police and feathering their own nests etc Begs the question.

But my post of yesterday LT clearly answered that point in its third and fourth paras as per below:

The sons and daughters of those who found refuge in HK are now making their own way in the world have seen their parents' suspicions of China justified by the Cultural Revolution of the late 60s and early 70s. Not trusting the PRC as far as they could throw it, many of this generation wisely hedge their bets by taking out joint citizenship in countries like Canada and then commuting back and forth to Asia.

Ultimately, those who could make good their escape before the 1997 handover did as you said and got out while the going was good. Sadly, Joshua Wong and his fellow pro-democracy protestors in 2014's peaceful umbrella movement weren't nearly so lucky.

jimboo wrote:
To be honest China's land grabbing and treatment of certain races and those deemed to be different does not make them unique in the world.

Is there any country in the world right now guilty of more aggressive and egregious behaviour towards its own citizens and regional neighbours than China? I'd love to see a few names.

Here's just one example of the atrocities the Chinese are apparently perpetrating in their border conflict with India:

https://www.news.com.au/technology/inno ... 7a774722f3

jimboo wrote:
I understand why you want economic sanctions but you didn't tell me how that could possibly happen.

While I'm no diplomat (no really, ask around!), here are a few possible directions of sanctions have clearly proved effective in reigning back unsavoury governments (South Africa being perhaps the most notable example):

Diplomatic sanctions
Economic sanctions
Military sanctions
Sport sanctions
Sanctions on individuals
Sanctions on Environment

More on how each of the above sanctions works here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_sanctions

Rorschach

Postby Rorschach » Yesterday, 11:50

The difference between page 4 and page 1 of this thread can be summed up in one word: 'Jimbo'.

Thoughtful and informed discussion as opposed to idiotic bollocks and trying to deal with it.
Bugger off.

jimboo

Postby jimboo » Yesterday, 14:31

jimboo wrote:

People did anticipate it, hence the urgency in acquiring overseas passports prior to the handover. What surprised most people is that it didn't happen much sooner as life in HK went on as normal for a couple of decades before sinister signs of China's interference started to be noticed. The extradition bill in 2019 really kicked things off as this was a clear indication of China's intent to clamp down on anyone with opposing views. That was eventually scrapped after months of protest but the new National Security law has effectively removed freedom of speech and the chance to protest against any law the Government wishes to introduce (or more truthfully, what China tells the Government to introduce) without being thrown into prison.

Leaving HK is an absolute last resort for Hongkongers and expats alike including myself. They love the place and don't want to leave without a fight.

Now that the BNO passport offers a gateway to British citizenship there are a lot of people applying for that right now. I hope Britain is ready for 3 million Hongkongers turning up :)

Oh little Britons will be too busy on the Kent coast to notice. Unless Farage decides to make a point about it.

Sam Stone

Postby Sam Stone » Yesterday, 14:54

jimboo wrote:
jimboo wrote:

Oh little Britons will be too busy on the Kent coast to notice. Unless Farage decides to make a point about it.

When you consider how hard the HK Chinese work and how hugely the UK benefitted from the influx of Asian families
Idi Amin turfed out of Uganda in the early 70s*, Johnson et al would be welcoming them with open arms.

Sadly, given how poorly the UK treated them at the time, the HK Chinese emigres of the 80s and 90s' favoured bolthole was Canada.

* Let's forget Priti Patel for the moment

jimboo

Postby jimboo » Yesterday, 15:43

Hi Sam , not to labour the point but twice you have described how people cannot leave Hong Kong and that wasn't what I asked. I am being cruel by asking , well, how did you expect it to pan out.
Fact checking China and it's human rights paints a sorry tale. Sadly there is a whole band of countries, regions really where humans don't have rights.
The problem with sanctions is the policing of promises given by the country if they agree to abide to the sanctionee ? North Korea, Iran, Iraq and Afghanistan are invaded and blocked. It kinda backfired didn't it? Israel's a pal but it herds a whole nation between a wall and the sea. Saudia Arabia is your personal shoppers wet dream but it treats others with more than contempt.
But , you know all this.
Apparently as much as 26% of global GDP could depend on the degree of engagement between China and the rest of the world. I would imagine Chinese investment plays a large role in the grand scheme . So our businesses would urge political rumblings to not cut off your own nose.

Sam Stone

Postby Sam Stone » Yesterday, 16:16

jimboo wrote:Hi Sam , not to labour the point but twice you have described how people cannot leave Hong Kong and that wasn't what I asked. I am being cruel by asking , well, how did you expect it to pan out.
Fact checking China and it's human rights paints a sorry tale. Sadly there is a whole band of countries, regions really where humans don't have rights.
The problem with sanctions is the policing of promises given by the country if they agree to abide to the sanctionee ? North Korea, Iran, Iraq and Afghanistan are invaded and blocked. It kinda backfired didn't it? Israel's a pal but it herds a whole nation between a wall and the sea. Saudia Arabia is your personal shoppers wet dream but it treats others with more than contempt.
But , you know all this.
Apparently as much as 26% of global GDP could depend on the degree of engagement between China and the rest of the world. I would imagine Chinese investment plays a large role in the grand scheme . So our businesses would urge political rumblings to not cut off your own nose.

Sorry J, twice you asked how come no one foresaw what would happen and took steps to get out and twice I wrote that many Hongkongers in the 80s and 90s had in fact done exactly that by talking out second citizenships.

Sanctions. Let's wait and see.

On a lighter note; having spent two years living there, I can assure you Saudi Arabia is more of a chopper's than a shopper's paradise.

Think you are getting it mixed up with the UAE. Not that hard to do as the later is an equally toxic cesspit which is only made bearable by one's ability to buy booze in a hotel. Amusingly, before you can drink at home, you have to apply for and get a licence.