Mainland Chinese oppression: Today, Hong Kong. Tomrorow Taiwan and the South China Sea

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
trans-chigley express

Re: RIP Hong Kong 1842 - 2020

Postby trans-chigley express » 26 Jun 2020, 09:48

Sam Stone wrote:.

Namely, what a bunch of cunts Xi and his cronies are.

If what they are doing with the National Security Laws in HK wasn't bad enough, they are now seriously pushing their luck on the Indian border

Their continual bullying of other Asian nations has been going on for years and it's not going to stop anytime soon. They regard the entire South China Sea as their own. The average Asian nation is too weak to do much about it.

Sam Stone

Postby Sam Stone » 26 Jun 2020, 13:15

trans-chigley express wrote:
Sam Stone wrote:
Geezee wrote:
It's true that I have not lived there, but my job is to compare healthcare systems.
Most modern medicines still do not reach Hong Kong. The Hospital Authority has an extremely restrictive (not to mention corrupt) system to provide access for eg. the latest cancer medicines. HK has good hospital care (as does much of China) but the actual treatments are still effectively those of an emerging market.

Again, that was not my experience. Nor does it seem to have been the experience of the two other current/former HK residents here.

I think Geezee's info is plain wrong to be honest (or perhaps muddled with the rest of China as his description tallies closely with the realities of China`s healthcare) . The healthcare system here is every bit the equal to UK. My sister-in-law is a senior doctor in a Government Hospital (and has been successfully treated for cancer with the latest medicines) and she disagrees strongly with GZ's assessment including the allegations of corruption.

I think you’re right.

As his assumptions about HK’s history were equally wide of the mark, it would seem that his company is getting its info direct from the CCP cadres in Beijing

Sam Stone

Postby Sam Stone » 01 Jul 2020, 08:46

And so the crackdown and oppression begins

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... nniversary

Today, Hong Kong, the Eighurs and the Indian border. Tomorrow, Taiwan and every scrap of disputed mineral-rich island in the South China Sea.

Really is time the West started taking a stand. Some form of economic boycott would seem to be the logical place to start.

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Re: Mainland Chinese oppression: Today, Hong Kong. Tomrorow Taiwan and the South China Sea

Postby KeithPratt » 01 Jul 2020, 10:27

It will not end well I fear. China will go in hard because it knows it can.

What I find so insulting is that actualoppression is going on in China - the forced sterilization of Xighuirs and real evidence of concentration camps.

Is anyone protesting outside the Chinese embassy? No, they're protesting about BLM.

Sam Stone

Re: Mainland Chinese oppression: Today, Hong Kong. Tomrorow Taiwan and the South China Sea

Postby Sam Stone » 01 Jul 2020, 11:48

KeithPratt wrote:It will not end well I fear. China will go in hard because it knows it can.

What I find so insulting is that actualoppression is going on in China - the forced sterilization of Xighuirs and real evidence of concentration camps.

Is anyone protesting outside the Chinese embassy? No, they're protesting about BLM.

Assuming you've not already seen it, Toby, check out last year's excellent three-part BBC series, China The New World Order - should still be on iPlayer - the first part of which is nearly all about what they are doing to the Eighurs.

A mate of mine - a journalist who you would think really would know better - is married to a mainland Chinese woman whose family are academics who've dome very well out of Xi and his colleagues in the Chinazi party.

He and his wife started to email me so much untrammelled shite about how wonderful the murderous gang that head up the CCP are that I've effectively stopped having anything to do with them.

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 01 Jul 2020, 12:58

Raab says that this represents a breaking of the declaration.

I wonder what the consequences will be. It will be interesting - China, of course, will be furious, yet anti CCP sentiment is rising around the world.