Let's move on.....

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Let's move on.....

Postby Diamond Dog » 28 May 2020, 03:42

Completely unrelated of course - Tory donor pockets £40 million, because Housing Minister rushes through approval of plans the day before a community charge takes effect. Honest - nothing untoward going on here. Let's move on.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-52826751

Housing Secretary Robert Jenrick has accepted he approved a £1bn east London housing development unlawfully.

The 1,500-home development on the Isle of Dogs, Tower Hamlets, was approved on 14 January - the day before community charges placed on developments were increased.

The timing of the decision meant Conservative Party donor Richard Desmond avoided paying around £40m.

Mr Jenrick accepted his decision was unlawful but denies any bias.

The government's own planning inspector advised against the scheme saying it needed to deliver more affordable housing in what is London's poorest borough.
People go on too much about the privileged background of politicians but actually Matt Hancock had a very humble upbringing in an Italian workshop owned by a woodworker named Geppetto who turned him into a human boy.

Rorschach

Re: Let's move on.....

Postby Rorschach » 28 May 2020, 08:10

I think I've given in.
I know this sort of shit has been going on forever, but it feels more brazen these days. Being caught used to mean some attempt at redress: resignation, reversal of decisions, etc; but these days it seems it's all: 'Nah. It was fine.'
There is no political will to deal with it anywhere.
I feel very pessimistic for the future of democracy.
Bugger off.

Positive Passion

Re: Let's move on.....

Postby Positive Passion » 28 May 2020, 10:52

Rorschach wrote:I think I've given in.
I know this sort of shit has been going on forever, but it feels more brazen these days. Being caught used to mean some attempt at redress: resignation, reversal of decisions, etc; but these days it seems it's all: 'Nah. It was fine.'
There is no political will to deal with it anywhere.
I feel very pessimistic for the future of democracy.

Yes indeed. The same with the unlawful prorogation - just bulldoze through and win by a landslide with the Mail on your side.