Amy Cooper verses Chris Cooper

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Flower

Amy Cooper verses Chris Cooper

Postby Flower » 27 May 2020, 16:46

Just wondering what people on BCB think about this incident.

White Woman Is Fired After Calling Police on Black Man in Central Park

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/26/nyre ... -park.html

Video of the incident touched off intense discussions about the history of black people being falsely reported to the police.

The incident appears to have begun as one of those banal and brusque dust-ups between two New Yorkers. A black man, an avid birder, asked a white woman to leash her dog in Central Park, as the rules required. She refused.

Then the encounter, which was recorded on video, took an ugly turn.

As the man, Christian Cooper, filmed on his phone, the woman, clutching her thrashing dog, called the police, her voice rising in hysteria.

“I’m going to tell them there’s an African-American man threatening my life,” she said to him while dialing, then repeated to the operator, twice, “African-American.”

The video, posted to Twitter on Memorial Day by Mr. Cooper’s sister, has been viewed more than 30 million times, touching off intense discussions about the history of false accusations made to the police against black people, sometimes putting their lives in danger.

Within 24 hours, the woman, identified as Amy Cooper (no relation to Mr. Cooper), had given up her dog, publicly apologized and been fired from her job. Mr. Cooper expressed regret for the extent of the retribution.

Mr. Cooper, 57, a Harvard graduate who works in communications, has long been a prominent birder in the city and is on the board of the New York City Audubon Society.

The incident took place around 8:10 a.m. on Monday in the Ramble, a semi-wild section of Central Park where dogs are required to be on leashes at all times.

After Ms. Cooper refused to restrain the dog, Mr. Cooper said he planned to offer the dog treats to induce her to leash the animal so that the dog wouldn’t run for the treat, according to a Facebook post in which he documented his version of their exchange.

“Look, if you’re going to do what you want, I’m going to do what I want, but you’re not going to like it,” he told her, before he pulled out the treats and began filming, according to his post.

Long post, read link for the rest.

If love could've saved you, you would've lived forever.

Flower

Re: Amy Cooper verses Chris Cooper

Postby Flower » 27 May 2020, 17:00

My first thoughts are that Amy should've been fined for having her dog off leash and that she over reacted to everything that happened but this woman's life is ruined.

What does this have to do with her job? Will anyone hire her again? It was an over reaction and Chris Cooper seems to have accepted her apology.

If someone said to me "“Look, if you’re going to do what you want, I’m going to do what I want, but you’re not going to like it,” he told her, before he pulled out the treats and began filming, according to his post." while I was holding on to my pet, I don't know how I would react

I've reported a crime in progress years ago and the police will ask for the person's description. Maybe Amy has dealt with this sort of thing before or has watched too many cop shows. I don't know and I don't like the way that she's handling her dog but to give her pet up after two years .. something isn't "right".. I just don't know but social media can work in both positive and negative ways.

I hope that Amy Cooper can get her life together.

The punishment should fit the crime.

Six String

Postby Six String » 27 May 2020, 18:47

The black man's day could have easily been ruined. Depending on the attitude of the cop he could have been injured or killed. She made a choice to do and say what she did. She got what she deserved imo.

Flower

Postby Flower » 27 May 2020, 19:24

Six String wrote:The black man's day could have easily been ruined. Depending on the attitude of the cop he could have been injured or killed. She made a choice to do and say what she did. She got what she deserved imo.

While I understand all of that and mainly agree but why not send her to some corporation sensitivity training course and tack on some community service hours? Amy Cooper has been tried and condemned. At this point in time, she'll have to go on welfare as no one would hire her.

Most women when approached by a strange man in an isolated location would have some uneasy thoughts. I know nothing of her past and describing Chris Cooper as an African American male may have been to have the police locate the correct person. I wasn't there, nor do I know Amy, so I don't know anything about her past encounters with anyone. If this was the first time that anything remotely like this was an issue, then she should be given a chance to make things right.

If someone said to me "“Look, if you’re going to do what you want, I’m going to do what I want, but you’re not going to like it,” he told her, before he pulled out the treats and began filming, according to his post." while I was holding on to my pet, I don't know how I would react There is an implied threat.

Also, I hope that the NYC police are better trained than to just injure or kill someone based on a phone call of this nature.

souphound
World Class Ignoramus

Postby souphound » 27 May 2020, 19:36

“I’m going to tell them there’s an African-American man threatening my life,”

That in itself tells me a lot. Nuff said.

Yes to a fine for the unleashed dog. Are there fines applicable to racist comments? If so, then yes.

I don't think he expressly accepted her apology. He more asked that people stop threatening her life over the incident "where's the logic?"

As for her job, well, I fully understand, but s strong warning might have been better.

I'm always middle-of-the-road me. ;)
Footy wrote:Last week, I discovered that the cordless drill I bought about 5 years ago is, in fact, a cordless screwdiver.

Flower

Postby Flower » 27 May 2020, 19:59

My lovely elderly neighbors who live behind us are from Viet Nam. Their daughters and grandsons were all born in Canada. A clueless twit on my block asked on of the neighborhood girls what the little boys names were and when the girl replied "Victor, Jacob and Nathan" .. the twit of a neighbor remarked "Oh my, they have Canadian names." YES! They were born in Canada and are Canadian. I felt and feel that this is a racist remark but I doubt if many others would agree.

I really hope that this blows over and it comes to a fair resolution. I have no idea what would be the correct resolution but hate people being judged on social media.

Rorschach

Postby Rorschach » 28 May 2020, 10:27

Bugger off.

Sam Stone

Postby Sam Stone » 28 May 2020, 10:39

Flower wrote:My lovely elderly neighbors who live behind us are from Viet Nam. Their daughters and grandsons were all born in Canada. A clueless twit on my block asked on of the neighborhood girls what the little boys names were and when the girl replied "Victor, Jacob and Nathan" .. the twit of a neighbor remarked "Oh my, they have Canadian names." YES! They were born in Canada and are Canadian. I felt and feel that this is a racist remark but I doubt if many others would agree.

I really hope that this blows over and it comes to a fair resolution. I have no idea what would be the correct resolution but hate people being judged on social media.

Good job one of the boys wasn't named "Charlie"