Response To The Pandemic

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
LMG
Gentleman Thug

Response To The Pandemic

Postby LMG » 12 May 2020, 07:58

What are your thoughts on the response to the global pandemic?

From your government, from the governments of other nations, the global response, the authorities, the police, your friends and family, the people of your community, and indeed your own response, which you may find changes over time.

* Please keep in mind that this thread is booked to form a central part of the 'What people were thinking' wing of the permanent First Global Pandemic Of The 21st Century exhibition in Bejing from 2050 onwards.

SO feel free to respond with 'I think they are all a load of murderous fucking wankers and being boiled alive in their own excrement is clearly too good for them', etc - but please keep in mind that if you do that means those under 12 may not be able to view this portion of the exhibit, and I understand child-minding facilities and the crèche at the exhibition will be restricted, so you are effectively barring some people from seeing that part of the exhibition.

Just saying - try and think of others, thank you for your cooperation.
Jimbo wrote:And don't say it isn't a flu because it is so flu like it may as well have been a flu.

Thank you for reading - you have now been inoculated against Jimbo. Be safe, stay alert.

LMG
Gentleman Thug

Re: Response To The Pandemic

Postby LMG » 12 May 2020, 08:12

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/m ... n-18235730
https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-ente ... 07856.html

Personally, I actually feel grateful that we have such an anarchic and genuinely funny comedian and tv personality (one who has already given so generously of the gift of laughter and satirical mirth) helping us to see the sheer ludicrous reality of our situation and the 'leaders' who try (cynically and with jaw-dropping levels of incompetence) to maintain the paper-thin illusion that they are in some sort of control.

And I thought Matt Lucas was quite funny as well.
Jimbo wrote:And don't say it isn't a flu because it is so flu like it may as well have been a flu.

Thank you for reading - you have now been inoculated against Jimbo. Be safe, stay alert.

C
Robust

Postby C » 12 May 2020, 12:04

I have played umpteen times and laugh out loud each time

kath wrote:(she squints, focusing all her concentration...)

inn dooooob ittt ableeee.

Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Postby Lord Rother » 12 May 2020, 20:40

The UK Government’s response has been good.

Not without mistakes of course but they have shown true leadership at a time of huge stress. They have listened and learned and adapted, which is commendable and unusual.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 12 May 2020, 20:52

I actually laughed out loud!

Doesn’t happen very often so thanks for that Lord R.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Rorschach

Postby Rorschach » 12 May 2020, 21:00

Lord Rother wrote:The UK Government’s response has been good.

Not without mistakes of course but they have shown true leadership at a time of huge stress. They have listened and learned and adapted, which is commendable and unusual.

I honestly don't understand how you can say that. Could you give examples of this 'true leadership'? Listening and adapting?
Bugger off.

John aka Josh

Postby John aka Josh » 12 May 2020, 22:46

What do you think of this?

It's a timeline with quotes from various sources and info about the UK government's actions.

Did they handle testing, the procurement of PPE & ventilators well?

https://appeasement.org/?fbclid=IwAR2C6dM1Xm2Oe7pOem7n-rwLf7HgS6ydxOm_SEImdi6-I7k40leB6p3KhNE

The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia

Postby The Prof » 12 May 2020, 23:24

John aka Josh wrote:What do you think of this?

It's a timeline with quotes from various sources and info about the UK government's actions.

Did they handle testing, the procurement of PPE & ventilators well?

https://appeasement.org/?fbclid=IwAR2C6dM1Xm2Oe7pOem7n-rwLf7HgS6ydxOm_SEImdi6-I7k40leB6p3KhNE

I read that a while ago. Glad someone’s saved the url.

It really is a shocking indictment of a lazy, useless shirker who thinks bullshit and bluster Is the way to lead a country.

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 13 May 2020, 04:35

Oh yeah?

I have been working very hard trying to get a government backed “Coronavirus Business Interruption Loan” for the music festival. It has been like banging my head off a brick wall ... https://www.craigmurray.org.uk/archives ... the-blues/
kath wrote: *which is the real reason he can fucque off and rot for the rest of time.

Jimbo wrote: So Kath, put on your puka love beads ... Then go fuque yourself.

Rorschach

Postby Rorschach » 13 May 2020, 08:06

Borrowed from Mick Lancaster (basically a summary of what John aka Josh posted)
I don't see a lot of learning or adapting, And true leadership? Where are you getting that from?

Coronovirus chronology. Borrowed from Michael Pearson.

December 31st China alerts WHO to new virus.
January 23rd Study reveals a third of China’s patients require intensive care.
January 24th Boris Johnson misses first Cobra meeting.
January 29th Boris Johnson misses second Cobra meeting.
January 31st The NHS declares first ever ‘Level 4 critical incident’ Meanwhile, the government declines to join European scheme to source PPE.
February 5th Boris Johnson misses third Cobra meeting.
February 12th Boris Johnson misses fourth Cobra meeting. Exeter University published study warning Coronavirus could infect 45 million people in the UK if left unchallenged.
February 13th Boris Johnson misses conference call with European leaders.
February 14th Boris Johnson goes away on holiday. Aides are told to keep Johnson’s briefing notes short or he will not read them.
February 18th Johnson misses fifth cobra meeting.
February 26th Boris Johnson announces ‘Herd Immunity’ strategy, announcing some people will lose loved ones. Government document is leaked, predicting half a million Brits could die in ‘worse case scenario’
February 29th Boris Johnson retreats to his country manor. NHS warns of ‘PPE shortage nightmare’ Stockpiles have dwindled or expired after years of austerity cuts.
March 2nd Boris Johnson attends his first Cobra meeting, declining another opportunity to join European PPE scheme. Government’s own scientists say over half a million Brit’s could die if virus left unrestrained. Johnson tells country “We are very, very well prepared.”
March 3rd Scientists urge Government to advise public not to shake hands. Boris Johnson brags about shaking hands of Coronavirus patients.
March 4th Government stops providing daily updates on virus following a 70% spike in UK cases. They will later U-turn on this amid accusations they are withholding vital information.
March 5th Boris Johnson tells public to ‘wash their hands and business as usual’
March 7th Boris Johnson joins 82,000 people at Six Nations match.
March 9th After Ireland cancels St Patrick’s day parades, the government says there’s “No Rationale” for cancelling sporting events.
March 10th - 13th Cheltenham takes place, more than a quarter of a million people attend. March 11th 3,000 Atletico Madrid fans fly to Liverpool.
March 12th Boris Johnson states banning events such as Cheltenham will have little effect. The Imperial College study finds the government’s plan is projected to kill half a million people.
March 13th The FA suspends the Premier League, citing an absence of Government guidance. Britain is invited to join European scheme for joint purchase of ventilators, and refuses. Boris Johnson lifts restrictions of those arriving from Coronavirus hot spots.
March 14th Government is still allowing mass gatherings, as Stereophonics play to 5,000 people in Cardiff.
March 16th Boris Johnson asks Britons not to go to pubs, but allows them to stay open. During a conference call, Johnson jokes that push to build new ventilators should be called ‘Operation Last Gasp’
March 19th Hospital patients with Coronavirus are returned to care homes in a bid to free up hospital space. What follows is a boom of virus cases in care homes.
March 20th The Government states that PPE shortage crisis is “Completely resolved” Less than two weeks later, the British Medical Association reports an acute shortage in PPE.
March 23rd UK goes into lockdown.
March 26th Boris Johnson is accused of putting ‘Brexit over Breathing’ by not joining EU ventilator scheme. The government then state they had not joined the scheme because they had ‘missed the email’
April 1st The Evening Standard publishes that just 0.17% of NHS staff have been tested for the virus.
April 3rd The UK death toll overtakes China.
April 5th 17.5 million Antibody tests, ordered by the government and described by Boris Johnson as a ‘game changer’ are found to be a failure.
April 7th Boris Johnson is moved to intensive care with Coronavirus.
April 16th Flights bring 15,000 people a day into the UK - without virus testing.
April 17th Health Secretary Matt Hancock says “I would love to be able to wave a magic wand and have PPE fall from the sky.” The UK has now missed four opportunities to join the EU’s PPE scheme.
April 21st The Government fails to reach its target of face masks for the NHS, as it is revealed manufactures offers of help were met with silence. Instead millions of pieces of PPE are being shipped from the UK to Europe.
April 23rd - 24th Government announces testing kits for 10 million key workers. Orders run out within minutes as only 5,000 are made available.
April 25th UK death toll from Coronavirus overtakes that of The Blitz.
April 30th Boris Johnson announces the UK has succeeded in avoiding a tragedy that had engulfed other parts of the world - At this point, The UK has the 3rd highest death toll in the world.
May 1st The Government announces it has reached its target of 100,000 tests - They haven’t conducted the tests, but posted the testing kits.
May 5th The UK death toll becomes the highest in Europe.
Bugger off.

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 13 May 2020, 08:32

but (makes sure to clench fist and point with thumb) apart from that......
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Sam Stone

Postby Sam Stone » 13 May 2020, 12:00

The govt response has been an unmitigated disaster - a large portion of which is down to Johnson packing his cabinet with ministers who are far weaker than he is himself.

On a separate note, a bunch anti-vax and lockdown types are having Freedom to Move demos in eight UK cities this weekend. As social distancing won't be top of their agenda, they will probably struggle to get their say "Yes to Live" message heard over the wheezing they make as the virus starts multiplying in their lungs
Last edited by Sam Stone on 13 May 2020, 16:13, edited 1 time in total.

Rorschach

Postby Rorschach » 13 May 2020, 14:15

Sam Stone wrote: ...a bunch anti-vax and lockdown types are having Freedom to Move demos in eight UK cities this weekend.

Do they get individual Darwin Awards or do they have to just share the one?
Bugger off.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 13 May 2020, 16:00

It is difficult to see how they could have done worse really... OK, you could look across the Atlantic to the US or Brazil I suppose but if they are our bedfellows we are not in the most exulted company.

I think it's down to Johnson's 'light touch' (read laziness) attitute. His insouciant, laissez-faire response early on combined with this weird dabbling with various pseudo scientific eugenics cobblers (the Toby Young tendency) that Cummings was so enamoured with.

They called it wrong and then took too long to turn it around when it was drawn to their attention.

And Johnson spending two weeks in an ICU is really just the fucking punch line.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Sam Stone

Postby Sam Stone » 13 May 2020, 16:27

What's going to happen when passengers on the London Underground attempt to socially distance during rush hour shows just how challenging the UK's "new normal" is likely to be.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... nderground

LMG
Gentleman Thug

Postby LMG » 17 May 2020, 13:24

Andrew Marr show today.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m ... w-17052020

I did not feel politicians of either main party answered reasonable questions about the care home deaths in any way whatsoever.

Labour's Shadow Deputy Prime Minister Angela Rayner dodged any responsibility for Labour's contribution to the disaster.

And Michael Gove? Even by the subterranean-level expectations I have of him, his performance was jaw-dropping.

Andrew Marr: 'You sent people to care homes from hospitals untested, knowing this would put many people at risk. As a result, thousands of people lost their lives. It was a disaster, wasn't it? A cockup of Carry On proportions?'

Michael Gove: 'Another thing the government will be doing in the very, very near future will be to...'

[reconstructed from available data]

I do wonder if anyone who voted Brexit after listening to that rabid puppet (voters who are now concerned about the well-being of elderly relatives in care homes) watched his performance today and thought 'Jesus CHRIST - what have we DONE?'
Last edited by LMG on 17 May 2020, 14:46, edited 2 times in total.

LMG
Gentleman Thug

Postby LMG » 17 May 2020, 13:27

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 17 May 2020, 18:11

Rorschach wrote:

I honestly don't understand how you can say that. Could you give examples of this 'true leadership'? Listening and adapting?

Rother actively wants 10s of thousands of Britons to die by slow, painful suffocation and so he is delighted by the Government's response to Covid19.

That is how I read his response anyway, it is the logical reading.
Dancing in the streets of Hyannis

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 17 May 2020, 18:14

LMG wrote:

Labour's Shadow Deputy Prime Minister Angela Rayner dodged any responsibility for Labour's contribution to the disaster.

'

What would that be?

Starmer's craven supporting the government in tough times act?

They appear to have abdicated their responsibility to hold the Government to account early doors but appear to have grown a collective spine more recently.
Dancing in the streets of Hyannis

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

LMG
Gentleman Thug

Postby LMG » 17 May 2020, 19:31

Copehead wrote:
LMG wrote:

'

What would that be?

Starmer's craven supporting the government in tough times act?

They appear to have abdicated their responsibility to hold the Government to account early doors but appear to have grown a collective spine more recently.

I am not making a political point, I merely observing.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m ... w-17052020

At around 37:00 and following in the show today Andrew Marr makes the point that responsibility for care home deaths rests on the shoulders of both parties due to long-term underfunding and mismanagement, and points out that care home deaths under the Labour-led government in Wales are similar.

If Raynor disagrees with Marr's interpretation she should say so, he asked her a direct question - she just completely ignores his points and carries on giving her speech, just as Gove does later on.