in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Deebank
Resonator

That explains it!

Postby Deebank » 27 Apr 2020, 10:01

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EWi5o6WWAAMLadG?format=jpg&name=medium

You don't fuck with Cyngor Sir Fon*.

*Anglesey County Council.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Rorschach

Re: That explains it!

Postby Rorschach » 27 Apr 2020, 10:12

Maybe King Arthur and co. rose from their slumbers and went and sorted him out.
Bugger off.

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 27 Apr 2020, 10:53

They seek him here....
They seek him there...
His clothes are grey
His head is square....
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 27 Apr 2020, 11:12

Rorschach wrote:Maybe King Arthur and co. rose from their slumbers and went and sorted him out.

I don't recall any direct mythological links between Anglesey and King Arthur, although of course there is Trearddur Bay (actually on Holyhead) and a hill called Bwrdd Arthur in the east... But Dinas Emrys with strong Merlin connections is close (ish) in Snowdonia/Eryri.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia

Postby The Prof » 27 Apr 2020, 11:37

King Arthur is actually from Huddersfield and Camelot was just up the road.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/74667 ... eter-Field

"Prof Field, who used to teach at Bangor University, said he came across the discover purely by chance.
"He said: "It was quite by chance. I was looking at some maps, and suddenly all the ducks lined up.
The Romans called the fort at Slack (Roman ruins at Outlane) “Camulodunum”, which means “the fort of the god Camul” and could be the source of the name Camelot."

No further proof needed.

North Korea may soon have female Leader.

Rorschach

Postby Rorschach » 27 Apr 2020, 11:42

Deebank wrote:
Rorschach wrote:Maybe King Arthur and co. rose from their slumbers and went and sorted him out.

I don't recall any direct mythological links between Anglesey and King Arthur, although of course there is Trearddur Bay (actually on Holyhead) and a hill called Bwrdd Arthur in the east... But Dinas Emrys with strong Merlin connections is close (ish) in Snowdonia/Eryri.

That's just being picky! He was Welsh and that's good enough for me.
Bugger off.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 27 Apr 2020, 11:55

The Prof wrote:King Arthur is actually from Huddersfield and Camelot was just up the road.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/74667 ... eter-Field

"Prof Field, who used to teach at Bangor University, said he came across the discover purely by chance.
"He said: "It was quite by chance. I was looking at some maps, and suddenly all the ducks lined up.
The Romans called the fort at Slack (Roman ruins at Outlane) “Camulodunum”, which means “the fort of the god Camul” and could be the source of the name Camelot."

No further proof needed.

North Korea may soon have female Leader.

While Huddersfield is as good a place as any for Camelot I suppose, this paragraph is utter cobblers:

TINTAGEL Castle has long been held as the most likely setting for King Arthur’s mythical Camelot

These pricks should really do a little bit of homework :roll:

The most superficial of checks would have told them that all the myths and legends cite Tintagel as the location for Arthur's conception and the base of the cuckolded King Mark of Cornwall - whose wife Iseult is famously 'sired' by the Merlin-transformed Uther Pendragon.

Camelot has been located all over the shop: Wroxeter, Cadbury Castle. Caerleon, WInchester. Some Cornish reckon Tintagel is in with a shout but they would wouldn't they.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 27 Apr 2020, 11:57

Rorschach wrote:
Deebank wrote:

That's just being picky! He was Welsh and that's good enough for me.

Everyone was welsh at the time though...

Apart from the (supposedly) invading Saxons of course - and famous 'English' hero Arthur fought them.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 28 Apr 2020, 08:20

I apologise for The Daily Mail link, but this proves that Camelot was actually in the suburb of Wigan where I live, Standish.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech ... l-sac.html
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 28 Apr 2020, 09:38

Darkness_Fish wrote:I apologise for The Daily Mail link, but this proves that Camelot was actually in the suburb of Wigan where I live, Standish.

'Proves'? Hmmm :?

That report was suspiciously light on any archeological detail... For instance, is there any sort of hill fort or other early mediaeval/iron age structure (palace, llys et) at the end of that cul-de-sac? All they have is a very old crossroads and a lake as far as I can see.

The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia

Postby The Prof » 28 Apr 2020, 10:14

I think it proves that "Camelot" is a state of mind and it exists 'just up the road' from where everybody lives...man.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 28 Apr 2020, 10:21

I blame Geoffrey of Monmouth.

Also Welsh.

I scent a conspiracy.

Bleeding monks
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 28 Apr 2020, 11:01

Deebank wrote:
Darkness_Fish wrote:I apologise for The Daily Mail link, but this proves that Camelot was actually in the suburb of Wigan where I live, Standish.

That report was suspiciously light on any archeological detail... For instance, is there any sort of hill fort or other early mediaeval/iron age structure (palace, llys et) at the end of that cul-de-sac? All they have is a very old crossroads and a lake as far as I can see.

Standish is pretty much a hill (it knackers me riding my bike to the shops). And that lake is about 15 miles away, in Burscough, near Southport. But I'm sorry, you can't argue with science, and as far as I see it, there's a good chance that I could be rightful heir to the throne of Engalnd.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 28 Apr 2020, 12:57

Darkness_Fish wrote:
Deebank wrote:

Standish is pretty much a hill (it knackers me riding my bike to the shops). And that lake is about 15 miles away, in Burscough, near Southport. But I'm sorry, you can't argue with science, and as far as I see it, there's a good chance that I could be rightful heir to the throne of Engalnd.

*scoffs* Fool! There was no 'England' at the time of Arthur.

I am prepared to believe that you are the rightful King of Elmet* though *snigger*

*Or possibly Rheged, but that doesn't sound as funny.