Govt's scientific advisory group

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Positive Passion

Govt's scientific advisory group

Postby Positive Passion » 26 Apr 2020, 11:31

Why would this be secret? It makes no sense to me. No doubt if the govt published who was on it interested parties may spend time saying why is x on it and not y, but that's not a good reason to not say who is on it. Too often I think govts keep stuff secret that just need not be. The govt mutters about the risk of them coming under undue influence, but (one would hope) these are highly educated people of substantial professional standing used to defending their positions.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Re: Govt's scientific advisory group

Postby The Modernist » 26 Apr 2020, 11:38

I agree and lack of transparency causes a lot more problems than it solves.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 26 Apr 2020, 11:40

If you're referring to SAGE the obvious answer is that Johnson can plant his advisor Cummings on it and politically influence the science/medical opinion.
So I got several cans of Pringles.But what they don't fucking tell you..is that the primary ingredient is something called "olean" which I have since learned is Latin for "Unwashable & Indestructible Ass Grease."

Positive Passion

Postby Positive Passion » 26 Apr 2020, 11:45

Diamond Dog wrote:If you're referring to SAGE the obvious answer is that Johnson can plant his advisor Cummings on it and politically influence the science/medical opinion.

Sure, sure, the craven attitude of this administration is beyond belief, but they can try and justify it because govts keep lots of stuff secret unnecessarily, and unfortu ately not just tory ones.

Positive Passion

Postby Positive Passion » 26 Apr 2020, 11:46

The Modernist wrote:I agree

Hang on - I must have got it wrong then.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 26 Apr 2020, 16:24

Positive Passion wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:If you're referring to SAGE the obvious answer is that Johnson can plant his advisor Cummings on it and politically influence the science/medical opinion.

Sure, sure, the craven attitude of this administration is beyond belief, but they can try and justify it because govts keep lots of stuff secret unnecessarily, and unfortu ately not just tory ones.

I really have no idea what this means - you asked why the Govt's scientific group should be secret? I gave you a straightforward and specific answer.

Not sure what that has to do with other Govt's policies around secrecy?
So I got several cans of Pringles.But what they don't fucking tell you..is that the primary ingredient is something called "olean" which I have since learned is Latin for "Unwashable & Indestructible Ass Grease."