Oooow very good.

Very, very good indeed.

Errr... cheers lads.

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Re: Put Jimbo on ignore

Postby toomanyhatz » 25 Apr 2020, 21:56

Just for the record, not that anyone should care one way or another.

I have no one on ignore. My 'ignore function' is internal.

I do ignore Jimbo most of the time. Sometimes it's good for my "critical thinking" to challenge myself to come up with a good way to argue against his more ridiculous statements (which could be any of them). Not because I think I can change his mind - that ship sailed long ago - but they cause me to think about what is a pretty huge/important subject and maybe share my limited knowledge with someone actually willing to listen.
Jimbo wrote:Solid conspiracy thinking is actually just deep investigative journalism.

Jimbo also wrote:Here is Icke's most up to date interview. Three hours.

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020? 2021? 2022?

The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia

Postby The Prof » 25 Apr 2020, 22:03

This. The comprehensive arguments against Jimbo’s “theories” are sometimes a thing of beauty.

C
Robust

Postby C » 25 Apr 2020, 23:47

I have absolutely no problem with Jimbo.

I don't read his posts but as far as I am aware he is not malicious, vindictive or nasty.

I am capable of making my own mind up as to which threads I respond in and which posts I respond to.

With Jimbo I rarely do either.

He is entitled his own views I can choose to agree/disagree with them or engage/or not engage with him.

I am 100% against ignoring the lad- what difference will it make?

In fact, I have never ever ignored anybody

Live and let live I say - I'm here for the sex, drugs and rock & roll

When the fun stops. Stop

Nancy wrote:My inner child is very hairy, lives in a cave, has a guitar and amplifier and stacks of Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, UFO and Deep Purple cranked to 12.

Rorschach

Postby Rorschach » 26 Apr 2020, 09:05

C wrote:I have absolutely no problem with Jimbo.

I don't read his posts but as far as I am aware he is not malicious, vindictive or nasty.

I have him on ignore so I only see what others quote. On just one page of a coronovirus thread we have 'schmuck', quoted by you, and 'Shut the fuck up'. Obviously, this sort of language is common between people on a message board and nothing to get upset about but you can't really claim it's "not malicious, vindictive or nasty".

C wrote:I am capable of making my own mind up as to which threads I respond in and which posts I respond to.

As are we all. I don't think anyone's suggested otherwise, have they?

C wrote:With Jimbo I rarely do either.

He is entitled his own views I can choose to agree/disagree with them or engage/or not engage with him.

See above.

C wrote:I am 100% against ignoring the lad- what difference will it make?

I've already explained what difference I think it will make, i.e. Nextdoorland will be a better place, and we'll be able to have better discussions. It would seem that no-one agrees with me, so I'll just have to drop it.

C wrote:In fact, I have never ever ignored anybody

Quite. You don't often engage with Nexdoorland so you are unaffected by Jimbo. You don't need to ignore or argue with him because he doesn't stink up Reap corner etc.You were pretty pissed off with Coan et al for their attacks on all things prog.

C wrote:When the fun stops. Stop

Which was exactly my point.
Bugger off.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 26 Apr 2020, 10:07

The Prof wrote:
I'm sure Jimbo will read this and reflect upon his insane ramblings and try to reign in some of the more stupid theories he posts about.

Been spotting a lot of those flying pigs lately John?

Sam Stone

Postby Sam Stone » 26 Apr 2020, 10:10

The Modernist wrote:
The Prof wrote:
I'm sure Jimbo will read this and reflect upon his insane ramblings and try to reign in some of the more stupid theories he posts about.

I rather thought he was being ironic.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 26 Apr 2020, 10:12

Rorsbach is a 100 % right btw.

The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia

Postby The Prof » 26 Apr 2020, 10:52

Sam Stone wrote:
The Modernist wrote:
The Prof wrote:

I was

Positive Passion

Postby Positive Passion » 26 Apr 2020, 10:58

The Prof wrote:
Sam Stone wrote:
The Modernist wrote:

I was

:o you were?

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 26 Apr 2020, 11:19

The Prof wrote:This. The comprehensive arguments against Jimbo’s “theories” are sometimes a thing of beauty.

But ultimately pointless. If you want Jimbo to stop dominating NDL then you are going to have to learn to ignore him.

LMG
Gentleman Thug

Postby LMG » 26 Apr 2020, 11:19

This:

C wrote:I have absolutely no problem with Jimbo.

I am capable of making my own mind up as to which threads I respond in and which posts I respond to.

With Jimbo I rarely do either.

I am 100% against ignoring the lad- what difference will it make?

In fact, I have never ever ignored anybody

When the fun stops. Stop

And this:

toomanyhatz wrote:Just for the record, not that anyone should care one way or another.

I have no one on ignore. My 'ignore function' is internal.

I do ignore Jimbo most of the time. Sometimes it's good for my "critical thinking" to challenge myself to come up with a good way to argue against his more ridiculous statements (which could be any of them). Not because I think I can change his mind - that ship sailed long ago - but they cause me to think about what is a pretty huge/important subject and maybe share my limited knowledge with someone actually willing to listen.

[emphasis in italics by LMG)
Last edited by LMG on 26 Apr 2020, 11:26, edited 1 time in total.
"Only the TRUE members of the Prog Illuminati are confused about whether they are members of the Prog Illuminati!"

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 26 Apr 2020, 11:25

Well carry on then, but you'll be destroying NDL in the process.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 26 Apr 2020, 11:59

The Modernist wrote:Well carry on then, but you'll be destroying NDL in the process.

It has survived much worse.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Rorschach

Postby Rorschach » 26 Apr 2020, 12:06

The Modernist wrote:Well carry on then, but you'll be destroying NDL in the process.

Obviously I agree with this but I guess another way of looking at it is that it's restructuring, rather than destroying.

From the responses here, it's clear that the people who remain are happy enough with things as they are. I think the reasons people have given are perfectly reasonable, especially Toomanyhatz', 'reacting to the challenge' argument. I've even done that myself but, for me, it's become relentless and pointless. I want to be able to post here every day and not have to wade through Jimboworld every time.
A lot of people feel the same and it's one of the reasons they've left. That's fine. They have Preludin so they can have the discussions on their terms rather than Jimbo's. Other people like it like this and they have Nextdoorland. Everyone should be happy really.

So, we're in a minority here, G. This is what the people want and if it's not for the likes of us that's just tough.
Bugger off.

LMG
Gentleman Thug

Postby LMG » 26 Apr 2020, 12:21

Could you explain what this means a bit more?

I am genuinely interested in how someone can do damage to a message board, particularly this one, simply by participating in discussion.

I only encounter Jimbo in the 'Critically Thinking About The Corona Virus' thread. In my view, there he does not engage in critical debate, and it is very frustrating indeed. The underlying point to mention is he started the thread - and appears to be self-isolating his rather unfortunate, risible views and opinions to that discussion. So I suppose, maybe, perhaps don't click on threads started by Jimbo?

Not advice I will be taking for reasons I will explain elsewhere.

As far as the Jimbo-besieged Nexdoorland, I did a search under his name there, and going back a week, outside his own self-isolating thread, we can see that Jimbo posts a bit about attribution of a commencement address to Kurt Vonnegut (possibly mistaken attribution), a dream he has had (he has recurring dreams about an old stranger's face in the window, I believe), and this:

What did you have for breakfast?:

Jimbo wrote:Three egg and cheddar cheese Pam fried omelet. Coffee.

Jimbo wrote:A can of sardines. A hard boiled egg. A handful of these green-curry-flavored canned potato chips I found at the market. Coffee.

Now, I realise we will need to await the full, expert structural survey of the foundations of the BCB edifice in the face of this onslaught of vituperation and bile before feeling fully safe, but from preliminary data I will go out on a distant limb and state that really I think we are OK here.

Could it be that the thread title here might be changed to 'I Don't Like Jimbo - He Smells of Wee And Poo, And YOU Should Not Like Him Either, Because, As I Have Just Said He Smells Of Poo (And Wee, Also)'

Just a suggestion... :D
Last edited by LMG on 26 Apr 2020, 12:28, edited 6 times in total.
"Only the TRUE members of the Prog Illuminati are confused about whether they are members of the Prog Illuminati!"

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 26 Apr 2020, 12:22

Just post away regardless of his presence. That way you get a more active and balanced NDL.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 26 Apr 2020, 12:31

Deebank wrote:

It has survived much worse.

Well exactly.
Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.