Lockdown Check

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Re: Lockdown Check

Postby yomptepi » 15 Apr 2020, 18:27

I have spent the day trawling the internet for a new toilet seat for the guest bathroom. It is a very big marketplace let me tell you. Yes. A very big marketplace. I have not as yet decided on which of the seventeen I have shortlisted will be chosen. But i have time. Nothing but time...
You don't like me...do you?

mentalist (slight return)
under mi sensi

Postby mentalist (slight return) » 16 Apr 2020, 05:27

I feel like I've moved to the countryside. I can hear birds chirping. Hardly any traffic, and no planes overhead. I strangely miss being under the flight path.
king of the divan

Livet
'progressively malty'

Postby Livet » 20 Apr 2020, 17:11

I’m doing pretty good. I live with my sister and enjoy the company. My sister goes food shopping every couple weeks and we do some on line ordering as well. She’s a good cook and likes to make dinner. Until recently, my brother would come over a couple times a week. He just went back to a part time job, so we’re keeping our distance now. I miss the rest of my family, though we speak on the phone a lot.

My last day of commuting to work was 3/17. The streets in midtown Manhattan were already getting a bit strange. I think the homeless people were rightly beginning to get nervous, knowing they would be vulnerable. I’ve been working at home since and that’s going really well. I think I prefer it and I really like not having to answer phones

I go out for walks around the neighborhood every day, preferring the morning as my neighborhood is pretty quiet at that time. I will drive to a woodsy area on the weekends (again very early) to get my nature fix. I ordered weights just before the gym closed and I’m glad I did. I exercise a lot at home.

Like so many people, I had trips planned that had to be cancelled which although a drag, is nothing compared to what others are going through. The anxiety and worrying about loved ones is probably the hardest thing. Seeing people on BCB suffer with it has been very worrying. I wish everyone the best.
The crazy music drives you insane

Jumper K

Postby Jumper K » 20 Apr 2020, 20:00

It’s good to hear you are keeping well Rita. Send my regards to Mary.

Positive Passion

Postby Positive Passion » 20 Apr 2020, 20:01

Back at school today after the Easter holidays.

Neige
Alpine Numpty
Location: On 2 oz of plastic with a hole in the middle (of nowhere)

Postby Neige » 20 Apr 2020, 20:13

I came back from holidays in Sicily on March 8, one day before Italy decreed lockdown for the whole country.

Switzerland followed suit a week later

Now I've been working from home for 4 weeks straight. The technical gear (bespoke cloud platform and workflow) got installed last October and works alright. Lady Neige is employed as manager of a small clothes shop and is getting 80% pay for not working until hers and other "non-vital" shops open again (this is currently scheduled for second week of April) - she doesn't like her job much, so she's rather happy with the situation.

Confinement rules here are not as strict as, say, in Italy, France or Spain, we can still hop on our bikes and get some air. Groups of more than five would be illegal, but I've "declared" the six persons living in my house "family" and feel very lucky to own a small garden for barbecues, games etc. To my best knowledge, no-one I'd know in the country has been tested positive so far.

But I really miss hopping on a train, eating out, going to gigs, drinking beers with friends at my local, being careless...

And I hate the awkwardness of social distancing when meeting people in the street.
Thumpety-thump beats plinkety-plonk every time. - Rayge

Livet
'progressively malty'

Postby Livet » 20 Apr 2020, 21:46

Jumper K wrote:It’s good to hear you are keeping well Rita. Send my regards to Mary.

Will do. Take care of yourself.
The crazy music drives you insane

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 21 Apr 2020, 05:49

Its' good to hear how others are getting on (and intrigued by Minnie's falling out with the neighbours :lol: ) so I'll add a little about my situation.

There's been no full lockdown in Hong Kong but schools, Universities, Public libraries, sports centres etc, were closed pretty much as soon as the virus became know back in January and bars have been closed for a few weeks. Working from home has been encouraged where possible but not enforced, my work is site based so can't work from home. My son has barely spent more than a couple of weeks at University since September as it closed down during the protests, then immediately after that the virus kicked in, so nearly all his studies in his first year have been at home unfortunately.

I'm free to travel round where and when I want but have been avoiding public transport and crowded areas as much as possible. I'm happy that I can continue working and go hiking at weekends and everyone I know here is healthy. There's only been a small handful of new cases this week (non at all yesterday). For such a densely populated city where 99% of people are living on top of one another, things seem remarkably under control. Fingers crossed it stays that way but no one is dropping their guard and social distancing, hand washing, mask wearing etc. has been taken pretty seriously from day one, though it took a while for stubborn expats to fall in line and follow the locals.

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 21 Apr 2020, 09:08

I needed to get a bus this morning. TFL buses are now free as from yesterday as you may not approach the driver to ding your card.

https://www.timeout.com/london/news/london-bus-journeys-will-be-free-during-lockdown-and-we-all-have-to-use-the-middle-doors-042020

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 21 Apr 2020, 12:28

I'm out working every day this week. I have PPE if and when I require it. Up here social distancing seems to be working. I was in Glasow on Friday to give blood. The centre is just off Buchanan St, major street in town. deserted
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Hugh

Postby Hugh » 21 Apr 2020, 14:04

Ah, lockdown.

During the second week of March I had time off work. I went to a gig, went to the theatre, had meals in restaurants and drinks in pubs. All ordinary stuff that would now be regarded as death-defyingly dangerous.

Daily death- defining but nominally normal activities are now par for the course. My daily commute to work is increasingly like a game of Russian roulette. Yes, it makes sense to reduce the frequency of buses if fewer people are using them. However, it makes less sense to replace double deckers with single deckers so that these are virtually full. We sit uneasily side by side in splendid non-isolation, balefully glaring at the old codgers and their shopping trolleys who have eschewed the Aldi and ASDA in their home town for the dubious glamours offered by the Tesco five miles down the road. Why not spend an extra hour in bed, wait until the buses are less busy and make the world a safer place for everyone?

Work itself has gone mad. I’m doing an average of sixty hours a week. Five of us have come down with symptoms, all mercifully mild and have returned back again. Another one has succumbed this week though, a timely reminder for us to keep our distance whenever we can. I worry that when all this returns to whatever passes as normal that there will some kind of crash; exhaustion or mental health issues. In the meantime, we are looking after each other the best we can; the team spirit and good humour have been exceptional. We are encouraged to take time off and we do, but being at home when there work to be done is hard. Also, with both the Young Hughs working from home, I go from being a linchpin in my own office to an interloper in theirs. It’s all building standards and costings in one corner of the room and software errors and “have you tried turning it off and on again” in the other. I’ve been forced into the garden, not actually gardening as such - I’m not THAT bored – but sitting in the sun listening to the grass grow beats sitting inside watching other people working.

And actually, considering that we have five adults in the house along with a part time seven year old (The Moo spends around half of the week here), we are getting along with each other better than can be expected. The Younger Of The Young Hughes and his girlfriend were due to be moving out into their own house next week but that won’t be happening now for at least another month. We will miss them when they eventually go but it will be great to have some space back again.

So life goes on. As I write this, Mrs Hugh is in hospital getting an MRI in preparation for having some telescopic gadget forced down her throat to retrieve an errant fragment of gall stone that has become lodged somewhere it shouldn’t be. I’d rather she didn’t have to be there right now but it can’t be avoided. Like everyone else, we are trying to cope with some new kind of normal. I have never been for so many walks; even after a ten hour shift the formerl battlefields of the 1745 Jacobite uprising, where musket balls flew and Redcoats retreated, provide a welcome refuge from an invisible, more insidious, enemy – albeit one that, for all I know, could be incubating inside me. Still, as we say round these parts: “what’s for you will no’ go past you”

I hope that what’s for you all is good health and happiness. Stay home if you can, stay safe, and stay well.

C
Robust

Postby C » 21 Apr 2020, 17:36

yomptepi wrote:It is a very big marketplace let me tell you.

Yes.

A very big marketplace.

kath wrote:[in my dream] i said, "reap, there is no way we can clear all this shit out in time. our landlord's gonna sue us!"

reap gives me this wicked grin and replies, "not if we play zep."

Flower

Postby Flower » 21 Apr 2020, 17:51

Good to see that The Slider was posting yesterday. :D

Has anyone heard from Soundchaser, he hasn't been on since March 26th.????
If love could've saved you, you would've lived forever.

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 22 Apr 2020, 10:12

Nearly finished Neverwinter Nights on Steam, just got to kill Aribeth, then on to Hoards of the Under Dark
I'm Jay Z on a bad day, Shakespeare on my worst days

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

Sam Stone

Postby Sam Stone » 22 Apr 2020, 10:38

Lockdown in Ireland is due for review on May 5th when it is widely believed that the interim government here will start easing some restrictions (e.g. allowing the opening of DIY and gardening stores).

If, as predicted, the UK continues down the draconian road it's on, we will then have an absurd state of affairs where people in "the North" (no one in the Republic calls the six counties Northern Ireland) are on full lockdown while those of us to the south face far fewer restrictions.

Given that the Irish border is one of the most porous in the world (anyone remember Brexit?), this would seem to be a recipe for disaster.

Hugh

Postby Hugh » 22 Apr 2020, 10:48

Sam Stone wrote:Lockdown in Ireland is due for review on May 5th when it is widely believed that the interim government here will start easing some restrictions (e.g. allowing the opening of DIY and gardening stores).

If, as predicted, the UK continues down the draconian road it's on, we will then have an absurd state of affairs where people in "the North" (no one in the Republic calls the six counties Northern Ireland) are on full lockdown while those of us to the south face far fewer restrictions.

Given that the Irish border is one of the most porous in the world (anyone remember Brexit?), this would seem to be a recipe for disaster.

Can you expand on how the UK is being Draconian in respect of lockdown?

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 22 Apr 2020, 10:50

DIY stores have been reopening in Scotland the last few days, not sure if their gardening parts are opened yet. Is it different in NI?
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Neige
Alpine Numpty
Location: On 2 oz of plastic with a hole in the middle (of nowhere)

Postby Neige » 22 Apr 2020, 11:10

DIY and gardening is the next step in Switzerland too, starting next Monday, also hairdressers, beauty parlors and tattoo artists (!) - but bookshops, for instance, have to wait another two weeks.
Thumpety-thump beats plinkety-plonk every time. - Rayge

Hugh

Postby Hugh » 22 Apr 2020, 11:15

Neige wrote:DIY and gardening is the next step in Switzerland too, starting next Monday, also hairdressers, beauty parlors and tattoo artists (!) - but bookshops, for instance, have to wait another two weeks.

Hairdressing etc. would really worry me in terms of social distancing.

Sam Stone

Postby Sam Stone » 22 Apr 2020, 11:52

My Brother Plays The Guitar wrote:DIY stores have been reopening in Scotland the last few days, not sure if their gardening parts are opened yet. Is it different in NI?

I iive in the Republic where everything is shut until at least May 5th.

Pretty sure the North is subject to UK restrictions - Given that Sturgeon gives her own briefings and the country seems to be sourcing its own PPE, Scotland seems to differ slightly. Not sure if same applies to over the six counties