Lockdown Check

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
souphound
World Class Ignoramus

Re: Lockdown Check

Postby souphound » 17 Jun 2020, 18:53

The Dríver wrote:
On a more positive note, I started a new job under lockdown, and haven't met anyone in person that I work with. It's really quite tricky to get a feel for a company without ever having set foot on any of its premises. What's nice is that it is intended to be a home-based role going forward, so whilst I will get out to meet various people and visit various locations after lockdown for the most part I'll be working from home.

Every year, we hire a couple of students to 1) give them valuable experience and 2) to help us out a bit during vacation times. Most people here take their vacations either in the middle of Summer (time with the kids and all) or the middle of Winter, looking to get away from the frighteningly cold weather.

For this Summer, these students were sent portables at home right at the beginning. I'll probably not get to meet any of them this year.

Hope your home situation gets resolved for the both of you. That's just nasty and unfortunate. And I agree with Minn - it did deserve it's own place.
Footy wrote:Last week, I discovered that the cordless drill I bought about 5 years ago is, in fact, a cordless screwdiver.

Butch Manly
Utter Cad

Postby Butch Manly » 19 Jun 2020, 13:04

I've been lucky during lockdown. Having gone on supply in January after a nightmarish term at a new school, I was enjoying the variety of teaching different children across differing age groups in a wide variety of north London schools (and, after twenty one years of teaching juniors, particularly enjoying teaching 4-7 year olds), finishing at 4pm-ish and averaging three and a half days a week. I could afford to teach so little because I'd decided to take my pension early, at a reduced rate.

For the first few weeks of lockdown, my employment status - somewhere in between employed by a company and self-employed, it seemed - was a worry but then my supply agency came through with the furlough money. That, combined with my pension, was enough to get by on without doing a tap, especially because my wife's job is easily transferred to homeworking.

So, with no real short-term financial worries (though who knows how this shitstorm is going to hit us all in the long run?), no kids to home-school and suddenly lots of free time and generally glorious weather, I set about making the most of a situation that was so much better for me than for most others. I began to read some of the books I'd never seemed to have to time for, explored music I'd previously ignored, got stuck in to various podcasts, read the New Statesman properly every week instead of just dipping into it, listened to all the Smiley R4 dramatisations, explored new parts of my locality that I'd somehow ignored for two decades. I even enjoyed getting up early and doing a weekly local shop at 6:15am.

This last week, though, I've been feeling rather flat. I'm not sleeping so well, I feel listless, can't concentrate on my books or podcasts, can't settle on any one album that I want to listen to from start to finish and have become snappy with my wife at times.

Hopefully, it's just a phase. I mean, I've got it easy. I should be happy.
Goatboy to Belle:

"I suggest you retreat to the safety of your Facebook bubble. Griff has a post he needs you to like."

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 19 Jun 2020, 16:00

I am sure running through the whole spectrum of emotions is totally normal. We’ll all go through several more cycles before it’s all over.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Six String

Postby Six String » 19 Jun 2020, 16:31

I was a bit cranky the other day fo some reason but it passed. On the plus side I got my haircut the other day, the first since the end of December when my guy retired. I procrastinated for quite a while and then Covid landed and took away the option. Rebecca's stylist recently started back up and she works alone in her own space so with precautions and masks I felt pretty safe. Both of us got a well needed trim. My hair was starting to touch my shoulders in the back. Now it's quite a bit shorter but she did a fabulous job and I'm relieved.

Johnny Fartpants

Postby Johnny Fartpants » 23 Jun 2020, 18:58

I've been home office based for years now so I'm used to that and haven't had to "adjust" to home working, like many others have. I'm also relatively lucky that I work for a large and stable company and my job is relatively safe. It's also been a positive that we produce plastic products that are the raw materials that go into production of personal protection equipment like face masks, medical oversuits, aprons and other medical equipment, as well as food packaging. So whilst in the last few years there has been a lot of "plastic bashing" going on, I am actually quite proud of the fact that my company have been involved positively in products that are keeping medical staff and the general public safe as well as ensuring fresh and packaged food has been available on the shelves. So demand has remained good and strong in some areas and I have been able to keep relatively busy. But I digress ...

Whilst I am used to working from home, what I am not used to is working from home every day. A large part of my job involves traveling around Europe and the UK to visit customers and clearly that has been badly affected by the coronavirus. The last time I was in an airport was February 13th and the last time I was at a UK customer was March 3rd. So I'm going a bit stir crazy. But at the end of the day, there are people in lot worse position than I am. But I miss the travel and especially going into a nice little beer bar in cities across Europe and having a decent beer or three. And I worry that a lot of those little bars will not survive this situation and may not be there next time I am able to fly again. But I live in hope ...

In terms of the virus, I am probably about 80% sure I have already had it, in February. Bear in mind that in January and first half of February I was still travelling though airports on an almost weekly basis. We had a big European sales meeting in first week of February, attended by around 70 to 80 people, all at close quarters and including three colleagues from the Milan area of Italy, three from Spain and five or six from France, all of whom were affected earlier and initially worse than the UK. Within a few days of getting home I developed a persistent cough that lasted for about two and half weeks ... I rarely get colds so this was unusual for me. I didn't get a bad fever and was still able to function, albeit lethargically. Then as the cough started to go I lost my sense of smell and taste for about four or five days, to the extent that I couldn't smell or taste curry or spicy food. I believe this normally happens before the cough starts rather than at the end, but I also believe, from what I have read, that covid affects people in different ways and different levels of severity. Then the sense of taste and smell came back and I generally felt better. But about a week later, I started to get tightness in my chest and back which kept moving around, but was always there. It was actually difficult to stand occasionally, like somebody was sitting on my chest. It lasted for about 3 or 4 weeks on and off ... through most of March ... and I was starting to worry it might be something more serious. Then one morning I woke up and, thankfully, it had gone and it hasn't been back since. So whether it was covid or not, I don't know. I'd like to have an antibody test to find out, but they're expensive and I believe unreliable. So I may never find out.

I just want to be able to go to a pub again.
Beebsy wrote:Oh I see... you heard I came back and thought you'd steal my thunder, eh? Fuck off.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 24 Jun 2020, 22:29

Austin and Texas in general are going to shit. Cases climbing and climbing. Hospitals nearing capacity. Even Abbott suggesting people shouldn’t go out if they don’t have to.

What a fucking mess.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.