Lockdown Check

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
never/ever

Re: Lockdown Check

Postby never/ever » 22 Apr 2020, 11:54

I have worked throughout the whole pandemic as the retail outlet I work for was deemed to be of 'essential' balue- I.e. we sell computers, phones and accessories for people to start their home working and study-stations up. We are permitted to be open as long as we maintain social distancing protocols and maintain a high rate of cleaning everywhere. Business has been crazy as we are the only store open next to the pharmacies and supermarkets based here too.

Australia has been in a fairly good position as the spread has been showing some definite curve-flattening. 6700 confirmed cases and 74 deaths is the total tally. It could have been much better if the authorities in Sydney would have not let a lot of passengers from the cruise ship Ruby Princess disembark without checking them for symptoms of corona and a large number of them turned out to be infected. At their turn ithey nfected about 400 people, with 24 confirmed deaths of passengers from that ship in this state alone.
There has been talk about lifting some restrictions, some beaches like Bondi which have been locked down are being reopened for people to walk, swim and work out from next week. Some stores may open early May too. Schools are still mostly shut down- the prime Minister has been petitioning on Instagram to open them all as he considers them to carry a low risk of infection and it would liberate parents in essential jobs to return to work but the state premiers won't have a bar of it. There has been some tension between state and federal government but nowhere near the idiocy of the US for that matter.

The impact on my life has been fairly minimal. I have not been able to play volleyball or travel to the city. I need surgery for a developing case of cataract in my right eye but that is likely postponed until next year.
My family is less fortunate. My sister lost her boyfriend to cancer at the beginning of the month and travel restrictions means that I can't be there for her. She's also stuck in his house in one of the worst affected corona-virus areas, she is one one of the high risk-categories so she is pretty much isolates while she goes through all of his stuff to sort out.
Watching plenty of movies and catching up with family has been pretty much the only thing I have been doing next to work. Still, would.be great iif I could fly out to see my family again.
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

Sam Stone

Postby Sam Stone » 22 Apr 2020, 12:01

Hugh wrote:
Sam Stone wrote:Lockdown in Ireland is due for review on May 5th when it is widely believed that the interim government here will start easing some restrictions (e.g. allowing the opening of DIY and gardening stores).

If, as predicted, the UK continues down the draconian road it's on, we will then have an absurd state of affairs where people in "the North" (no one in the Republic calls the six counties Northern Ireland) are on full lockdown while those of us to the south face far fewer restrictions.

Given that the Irish border is one of the most porous in the world (anyone remember Brexit?), this would seem to be a recipe for disaster.

Can you expand on how the UK is being Draconian in respect of lockdown?

Well the govt seems to be resisting calls to start easing what many people are criticising as being an unnecessarily full-on lockdown (police searching shopping bags, telling people sun-bathing in their gardens to get inside the house, etc)

My point was more about the possible problems that may arise if there are different sets of restrictions on either side of one of Europe's - if not the world's - hardest-to-monitor borders.

Am sure the police/guards have better things to do than try and stop people from the North nipping across to the Republic to buy things/services they can't get in their own country

EDIT: To clarify, while I hold a UK passport and pay a certain level of income taxes in the UK, I do not live in there and am not subject to its lockdown restrictions

Hugh

Postby Hugh » 22 Apr 2020, 12:52

I recognise from watching the news that the police’s attitude seems to vary across the UK but personally I haven’t experienced anything like a full-on lockdown and I am yet to see a single police officer on the street.

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 22 Apr 2020, 13:50

I've yet to be asked by Police why I'm out. I've ID to show why but as of yet not saw anybody being stopped.
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia

Postby The Prof » 22 Apr 2020, 14:19

I was in Town yesterday and it just seemed like a normal quiet day.
Half the shops were shut but all the ones selling anything food related were open.
Queues outside, of course, just everyone 6 foot apart in the queue

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 22 Apr 2020, 14:39

I'm working later. Will update in due course from the frontline.

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 22 Apr 2020, 14:46

Work, horticulture trainer (NPTC level for 16 to 21 years old) is down to one day a week, driving in (car battery permitting) to solely be a nurseryperson and keep the most valuable plants alive, check the irrigation, glass house heating and whatever else seems crucial. It's quite peaceful. Much will probably be composted but little had much growth on this early.

The trainees are at home so the attendance, routine and timekeeping aspect of their training is gone as well as physical activity. My boss is keeping them in harness either by phone or laptop (which by no means do all of them have) and has put together some theoretical Q&As for those that will or more importantly, can tackle - more than 3 or 4 came to us illiterate - naming garden tools and stating their use(s) and health and safety workplace warning signs for example. (Qs about personal protective clothing, ironically.)
I've been feeling "out of sorts" +/- symptomatic for quite some time now - ok days, dreck days.

I worry about my brother, GP in inner London. He is seeing all infant and the vast majority of paediatric patients which unfortunately means they need to come into the surgery along with a parent. Adults, he is mainly consulting with by phone.
I am more concerned about my nephew who from studying tropical diseases in early Feb. in Japan suddenly found himself flown home to be a junior A&E doctor. He was in my local hospital initially, is now in outer London but near enough so he can still live in the family home. (My sister-in-law and brother had been very blue with Empty Nest syndrome 3 years ago - I'm not sure either of them expected it to be cured by the current situation with all 4 of them back together again under the same roof.) By concern, I mean as much for their psych. as well as their physical health.

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 07 May 2020, 05:36

Hong Kong has not had to resort to a full lockdown, fortunately, but the restrictions that have been imposed were reviewed this week and so bars will reopen and the limit of gatherings has been raised from 4 to 8. Schools remain closed. There have been no cases for quite a while now but I will worry if the border to China is re-opened which has been suggested.

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 07 May 2020, 05:38

never/ever wrote:My family is less fortunate. My sister lost her boyfriend to cancer at the beginning of the month and travel restrictions means that I can't be there for her. She's also stuck in his house in one of the worst affected corona-virus areas, she is one one of the high risk-categories so she is pretty much isolates while she goes through all of his stuff to sort out.

Sorry to hear this. With the enforced isolation some people really will feel alone at difficult times.

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 07 May 2020, 09:27

I've been working just about every day, still to be stopped by the Police while travelling in my car.

Hugh

Postby Hugh » 07 May 2020, 12:14

My Brother........ wrote:I've been working just about every day, still to be stopped by the Police while travelling in my car.

Is the traffic increasing? Where I am, the roads are virtually indistinguishable from pre-lockdown.

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 07 May 2020, 14:19

Hugh wrote:
My Brother........ wrote:I've been working just about every day, still to be stopped by the Police while travelling in my car.

Is the traffic increasing? Where I am, the roads are virtually indistinguishable from pre-lockdown.

they had been very quiet, a bit busier this week, still not as busy as pre-lockdown levels

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 12 May 2020, 21:37

Last night I got to thinking that there was a possibility I wouldn’t see my parents again. Since then, I’ve been profoundly miserable.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Neige
Alpine Numpty
Location: On 2 oz of plastic with a hole in the middle (of nowhere)

Postby Neige » 13 May 2020, 11:37

Here in Switzerland, the lockdown has been softened on Monday, the curve was considered flat enough after two months, there was also a lot of pressure from businesses and the economy:

All shops are open again, libraries and museums, beauty parlours, hairdressers, even fitness centres, also bars and restaurants which should have followed only in a fortnight (they have various constraints: no clients standing, no more than 4 at a table, tables 2 metres apart, etc.) My local will open next Tuesday, we'll see how that pans out. Masks are "highly recommended", but not compulsory on public transport and elsewhere.

Here's hoping the numbers won't rise too much. :?

And there's still a ban on all forms of live culture (concerts, theatre, cinema), which is what I miss most!
Thumpety-thump beats plinkety-plonk every time. - Rayge

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 23 May 2020, 12:38

Been back at sea for nearly 4 weeks.
The worst of it was the gym was shut for the first 2 weeks until we were declared officially covid free.
Then they opened the gym gave us all a giant toblerone and we all started bumming each other again as all good sailors do.

The even worst of it was we are now contracted to work up to 12 weeks away at sea.

I'm not doing that so I am seeking alternative employment for the first time in 25 years when I get home

Ideally for my current employer as they have a London office

But my income tax free sailing days will soon be behind me hopefully
I'm Jay Z on a bad day, Shakespeare on my worst days

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 29 May 2020, 13:35

We were supposed to be in Yorkshire today at my sister’s wedding. :(
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?