Lockdown Check

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Dr. Baron
Diamond Geezer

Lockdown Check

Postby Dr. Baron » 10 Apr 2020, 22:06

I know a few of us have been struck by the actual sickness (fingers crossed for Slider) but we're all dealing with some sort of changed reality. One thing that hasn't changed is that we can still talk here, in the same way as we always have. How are you doing? How are you coping? Are you? Are you working? What's going on? Drinking too much? Schooling your kids? Freaked out about the idiots in your town? Spill it here.
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Dr. Baron
Diamond Geezer

Re: Lockdown Check

Postby Dr. Baron » 10 Apr 2020, 22:26

I almost hesitate to say I'm doing comparatively well, apart from my worry about my parents, in-laws, and a few friends in precarious spots, especially in view of the financial calamity that is being visited upon so many in this town and, of course, across the world.

My work is in a pretty core function of government and my employers have been forced to allow us to work from home, which I enjoy apart from the role I must play in helping them to re-engineer on the fly some of our byzantine office processes for remote operations. So the cascade of emails I could do without. I've had little onsets of anxiety brought on by the sound of emails and texts pinging for the first time in my working life. But I love not having to get dressed by any time and jump into our horrific rush hour traffic. I enjoy being able to work at all hours of the day. And we're lucky to have a lot of space (certainly by European standards) and the ability to work from home in a job that won't be directly affected by the coming economic disaster(s). Min controls the food shopping and storage, so she's been the one heading out into the world for that. Overall, I'm much more suited to being at home all the time, I think it's safe to say she's going a little stir crazy.

I don't really tweet, and I mostly follow journalists and policy people, and I've learned that Twitter is an absolute no-go for me, it's just an onslaught of terrible news. I'm sure the television news is worse. Watching some of our favorite artists doing live shows on Facebook or wherever has been a fun novelty, but it's also depressing knowing that it's their only means of income. And it's been cool seeing people make their own fun in creative ways. We're doing more of our little podcast and I've had an offer to submit some shows to my old college radio station, so I'm looking forward to throwing something together for that. And I'm doing a little catching up on the Shakespeare 2020 reading program, which is a deep well to fall into and disappear for awhile. I'm looking forward to a beer or two tonight or tomorrow, but after a few weeks of comparative excess, I'm trying not to fall into just having a drink because I can. Pity we don't live in Colorado or Washington or California etc.

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Dr. Baron
Diamond Geezer

Postby Dr. Baron » 10 Apr 2020, 22:33

With everybody out walking in the neighborhood it does mean we've seen the old neighbors we fell out with (and moved a mile away from) out and about, walking trying not to go crazy. They never respond to our ostentatiously cheery greetings. :D

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 10 Apr 2020, 22:53

Glad I don't live in LA any more, though I still have to go there often to help my mom out (her assisted living place is on total lockdown, so I can't actually see her - just have to drop off supplies and go).

Generally speaking, my town is pretty easy to avoid people in, and not so hard hit (35 cases last I heard, in a town of 60,000). I'm doing a LOT of social networking, but have barely touched a guitar in days. Hopefully that changes soon.

I think if anything I might be drinking (and certainly toking) a bit less, as my disapproving wife is always around. :D

Other than that, I'm watching a lot of comedy specials and "Schitt's Creek."
Jimbo wrote:My point is to save the world from WWIII.

Jimbo wrote:This bullshit is horseshit.

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017 2018 2021? 2022?

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 10 Apr 2020, 23:38

Due to working with Elderly folks, a lot of that has been suspended and I'm doing shopping for a few folk. Not able to do anything with the wee guy (actually very tall guy these days) because of the lockdown.

My immediate family and relatives are all keeping well. A few friends have parents with under lying stuff which is a concern. Hopefully we will get through this without any losses but I'm not sure how that will work out.

I hope that all our online mates come through this and return to full health as soon as possible.

keep well everyone
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 10 Apr 2020, 23:41

I've been working from home for several years now, in comp tech support so its no great change for me - apart from the constant low level anxiety and fear for family and loved ones that I try to keep submerged, we are doing fine. Mrs Boom had to have emergency surgery for a double root canal which was just unwanted added stress but apart from that and the simmering rage for the incompetence of those in charge we are doing well - she is busy making masks for all and sundry and we are both thankful we are in a position to be not more affected.

Beebsy

Postby Beebsy » 10 Apr 2020, 23:42

Still Baron wrote:With everybody out walking in the neighborhood it does mean we've seen the old neighbors we fell out with (and moved a mile away from) out and about, walking trying not to go crazy. They never respond to our ostentatiously cheery greetings. :D

I can just imagine this :lol:
Bleep wrote:I agree with Beebsy

Copehead wrote:Small but beautifully formed Irish contingent

Six String

Postby Six String » 10 Apr 2020, 23:42

Well the first couple of weeks of self isolating has been comparatively easy for me but I suspect the next month and beyond (?) will prove more trying if only because of the time. I wasn't one of those panicked people who went out and bought 100 roles of t.p. so I have five rolls in reserve and hope by the time I get low that the supply chain has caught up with the madness. That is assuming the panicked people will calm down a bit. My neighbor who is quite the social butterfly/gym rat is pretty scared but she also has diabetes and hypertension so they are rational fears.

My local cider maker who is also a dear friend seems to be hanging in there. He is still selling cider at the stores via cans and bottles and his tasting room is open for three hours five days a week to sell prepackaged cider or growlers (customers exchange their growlers for new ones instead of filling the same one). I hope is going to be able to hang through this crisis. He had big plans to expand his live music program this year and I was going to help with running the soundboard but who knows when that will be happening. He is losing sales via bars and restaurants both here and the SF Bay Area obviously but he's kept all his employees so far.

I hope everyone sees this as something to be conquered and not surrendered to. It is obviously a life changing experience but we should not give up as we will get through this. So far the only people I know who have covid-19 are BCBers and I am sending positive thoughts to those who are fighting this beast. I hope they all get throught it soon.

Edit: I'm cooking even more than usual these days as I prefer exposing myself once a week at a small local grocer than dealing with daily deliveries of take out. The idea of disinfecting food containers and transfering food to other containers per recommendations seems like a giant p.i.t.a. compared to cooking at home. Besides, what else do I have to do besides play guitar.
Last edited by Six String on 10 Apr 2020, 23:48, edited 1 time in total.

Dr. Baron
Diamond Geezer

Postby Dr. Baron » 10 Apr 2020, 23:44

Beebsy wrote:
Still Baron wrote:With everybody out walking in the neighborhood it does mean we've seen the old neighbors we fell out with (and moved a mile away from) out and about, walking trying not to go crazy. They never respond to our ostentatiously cheery greetings. :D

I'm sure Min will tell the tale. It all happened when her step-mother was here . . .

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 10 Apr 2020, 23:54

Beebsy wrote:

We fell out in quite a spectacular fashion. Remind me to tell you when we’re next FTing.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 10 Apr 2020, 23:58

I'm kind of a homebody anyway so I've been alright. I've been off work for a couple of weeks, but the store has remained open, with the boss running it more or less single-handedly. I'm worried about him.

Beebsy

Postby Beebsy » 11 Apr 2020, 00:02

Minnie the Minx wrote:
Beebsy wrote:

We fell out in quite a spectacular fashion. Remind me to tell you when we’re next FTing.

I cannot wait
Bleep wrote:I agree with Beebsy

Copehead wrote:Small but beautifully formed Irish contingent

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 11 Apr 2020, 00:03

One of the good things about working from home so far is that they were unable to come up with more mobiles, so no phone calls coming in has been a delight. Though apparently one has been unearthed and is to be posted to me.

Bit worried about my parents, but they're ok so far as is mother-in-law. Son's weed consumption is a little irritating and my daughter hardly comes out of her room.

We're well so far. Thinking of all those who are not.
Nikki Gradual wrote:
Get a fucking grip you narcissistic cretins.

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 11 Apr 2020, 13:39

Cultural victory for Chinese pre 1900 on Prince level :ugeek: 8-)
I'm Jay Z on a bad day, Shakespeare on my worst days

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 12 Apr 2020, 05:02

Been an interesting few weeks but I'm okay and have been working from home since March 16. I'm loving working from home actually was searching for a stay at home job. So glad I moved an 1 hr north of the city watched a red fox walk right by my window last week. I shop once a week and am doing takeout once a week to support the locals. Have done a few isolation walks either alone or with a friend which is easy up here. Funny you would think I would see my neighbors more but I don't.

It is depressing we have been hard hit in NYC area. I've had a few friends parents die and to get an invite to a virtual funeral was a bit creepy and scary.
Although that one wasn't Virus related. The other sad part is the termination lists, furloughs and hardship requests. The USA Cares Act has made me contact all my clients to discuss options and what their situation is.

On the positive side I've been able to cook more and have gone back to making some recipes, sadly its got me eating more.
Hope everyone is well and staying healthy.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 12 Apr 2020, 17:02

I must admit to getting a great deal of - well, I don't know if pleasure is the word- maybe validation is the right thing to say - on reading these posts and those on Yomp's post the other day. It's fair to say that they all show that physical separation, financial worry and uncertainty with no end point affect people in different ways, but none of them are positive.

I hate being physically apart from people and am longing to run into a bar or a town square in a foreign country full of strangers and order every beer on the fucking menu. I dislike intensely the way home has morphed into a work space because I like the house to be where you come back to when the working day is over. I am embarrassed at the joy I am experiencing on undertaking tasks during the day that are non work related- even having a spring in my step when I'm off for a piss or making a butty. Embarrassed because so many people in this town are out of work now, and embarrassed because I am not clinically working and am missing out on being in the thick of it. If I were still in the UK, it would have taken over my work life by now. I don't have anything to moan about. I can sit and watch the backyard wildlife all day while working which brings me real joy, and the cats think it is Christmas. I veer between wanting to be all over social media to see what everyone is doing and check in - which seems more important now than ever- and avoiding it totally because everyone is getting on my tits. My preference is to talk to people face to face - Skype and FT and whatever have been absolute godsends- where conversation can flow from thing to thing and retreat to the comfort of the past and the promise of the future.

Everyone responds and deals differently but I find endless, pointless titbits about Covid that reiterate what we already know don't need me to add to them. And when I am about to scroll past yet another post where someone is berating their neighbour for something or other I need to remember how I behaved when Bowie died. We all have our tipping point. I had a good hard cry this week in the kitchen this week out of nowhere, in the middle of chopping carrots. It came from nowhere and left just as quickly. I felt better for it. I do think it's good to share, and I know that there will be more tears in the coming weeks when FTing or whatever - we've had a host of travel plans fucked up and family weddings canceled and all sorts- just like every other fucker. I don't feel comfortable with daily, public expressions of frustration or sadness though - even though I am frustrated and sad every day. It will be over one day.

I am beyond grateful that all the folk I know who have had it are pulling through and feeling better. Beyond grateful. I really miss everyone, and I wish everyone fabulous health and I promise to pour you all a big drink.

Lots of love.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 15 Apr 2020, 13:33

Thank God David Geffen is keeping safe.

Sam Stone

Postby Sam Stone » 15 Apr 2020, 14:01

Mike Boom wrote:Image

Thank God David Geffen is keeping safe.

Not even the fact that DG was an early champion of Laura Nyro can make up for this pile of excrement.

Vies with Madonna in her rose petal strewn bath as the most offensively insincere celeb "we're all in this together" message of hope.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 15 Apr 2020, 18:16

My husband is surprisingly selective over the aesthetics of his mandatory face coverings when we are outside. I offered him several yesterday which he rejected till he found one that matched his shirt. He'll deny all this of course, but it's true!

Dr Markus wrote:

Six String

Postby Six String » 15 Apr 2020, 18:22

Rebecca made a bunch of masks recently and we've shared them with friends who don't sew.