Critically thinking about the corona virus

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
User avatar
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.
Posts: 68998
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:04
Location: High On Poachers Hill

Re: Critically thinking about the corona virus

Postby Diamond Dog » 21 May 2020, 17:05

Maher... he's the "House n*gg*r" guy isn't he?

Fuck him sidweays with a baseball bat too.


---

Ah yeah, three years ago :

The HBO late-night host Bill Maher apologized on Saturday for using a racial epithet during an interview with Senator Ben Sasse, Republican of Nebraska, on a live broadcast of his show on Friday night. HBO denounced the remark as “completely inexcusable and tasteless,” and said it would be edited out of future airings.

Shortly after 10 p.m. on Friday, Mr. Maher, the comedian and host of HBO’s “Real Time,” was talking to Mr. Sasse on his program about the boundaries between adolescence and maturity, and how adults in California still dress up for Halloween.

When Mr. Sasse said this did not happen in his state, Mr. Maher said, “I’ve got to get to Nebraska more.”

Mr. Sasse replied: “You’re welcome. We’d love to have you work in the fields with us.”

Mr. Maher said: “Work in the fields? Senator, I’m a house n*gg*r. No, it’s a joke.”
So I got several cans of Pringles.But what they don't fucking tell you..is that the primary ingredient is something called "olean" which I have since learned is Latin for "Unwashable & Indestructible Ass Grease."

User avatar
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.
Posts: 68998
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:04
Location: High On Poachers Hill

Re: Critically thinking about the corona virus

Postby Diamond Dog » 21 May 2020, 17:16

Nice company you're keeping there Jimbo - class.
So I got several cans of Pringles.But what they don't fucking tell you..is that the primary ingredient is something called "olean" which I have since learned is Latin for "Unwashable & Indestructible Ass Grease."

User avatar
toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Posts: 28693
Joined: 07 Apr 2005, 00:01
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Re: Critically thinking about the corona virus

Postby toomanyhatz » 21 May 2020, 19:07

Maher's credibility or past history isn't what determines the truth of what he says here, but the fact is it's more cherry-picking to use him as a 'source.'

Again (for all the good it does to repeat it) - "critically thinking" means just that - it means look at the big picture, don't just quote one person who's saying something you agree with.

The spirit of what he says is at least somewhat correct. That doesn't mean what he's saying amounts to "go ahead and attend a sporting event with 60,000 other people" or "don't wear your mask because CO2 blah blah blah" or "I demand to have my nails done."

I live in an area with relatively few cases. If this is some elaborate plan to enslave me, they're really going about it in the wrong way. I have been hiking. I have gone to the beach. I have been shopping. If I want to go outside and take a walk, I bloody well do it, and the idea that I'm somehow a 'sheeple' for wearing a fucking mask and staying 6 feet away from people is offensive to me - it's really not that big an imposition.

On the other hand, my hair's getting long. and my usual hairstylist does not want to see me right now. She's hurting financially, but she'd rather live. If she were in Georgia now she'd be told she has to take the risk or no unemployment for her. So which state is providing her more "freedom?" And am I being a better friend to her by "helping" her make money, or by respecting the fact that she can't do her job safely right now?

The idea that we're supposed to cry for the poor bastards who'd be working at the Tokyo Olympics right now is the essence of one-sidedness. "Let's all get back to work" is not an either/or - you have to weigh up the imposition vs. safety vs. who's being protected vs. who takes the risk. The MAJORITY of Americans right now believe that it's too soon. So that minority of people that feel it's time for all service workers to take the risk to preserve their convenience? Those snowflakes have to suck it up and be patient.

Image
Jimbo wrote:Solid conspiracy thinking is actually just deep investigative journalism.

Jimbo also wrote:Here is Icke's most up to date interview. Three hours.


1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020? 2021? 2022?

User avatar
The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia
Posts: 45917
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 18:32
Location: A Metropolis of Discontent

Re: Critically thinking about the corona virus

Postby The Prof » 22 May 2020, 00:17

I can see that people who don't agree with Bill Maher don't like him much.
He comes across as pretty arrogant, self-righteous and probably quite annoying - but because he calls to task the arrogant, self-righteous and annoying religious people, I like him*.

*(Racist 'jokes' aside)

User avatar
Jimbo
Posts: 17808
Joined: 26 Dec 2009, 21:22

Re: Critically thinking about the corona virus

Postby Jimbo » 22 May 2020, 01:31

Most of you pearl clutching a-holes may like Maher for the biggest reason I don't. He physically chucked from his TV audience a guy who shouted out that 9/11 was an inside job. Heh? Nudge nudge. Maher hates 9/11 truthers too.
You don't have to be smart to see how fucked up this shit is. Jimmy Dore

Sam Stone
Posts: 2005
Joined: 25 Aug 2016, 17:12

Re: Critically thinking about the corona virus

Postby Sam Stone » 22 May 2020, 09:16

Good for him.

User avatar
Jimbo
Posts: 17808
Joined: 26 Dec 2009, 21:22

Re: Critically thinking about the corona virus

Postby Jimbo » 23 May 2020, 09:59

Hey, here's a whole lot less horseshit for you pod folks to fret over!

From USA Today

Coronavirus 'does not spread easily' by touching surfaces or objects, CDC says. But it still 'may be possible.' ... nor by animal-to-human contact or vice versa.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/hea ... 232748002/

(I can see DD going, "But it still may be possible. It still may be possible.")
You don't have to be smart to see how fucked up this shit is. Jimmy Dore

Sam Stone
Posts: 2005
Joined: 25 Aug 2016, 17:12

Re: Critically thinking about the corona virus

Postby Sam Stone » 23 May 2020, 11:04

Jimbo wrote:Hey, here's a whole lot less horseshit for you pod folks to fret over!

From USA Today

Coronavirus 'does not spread easily' by touching surfaces or objects, CDC says. But it still 'may be possible.' ... nor by animal-to-human contact or vice versa.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/hea ... 232748002/

(I can see DD going, "But it still may be possible. It still may be possible.")


Your point being what exactly?

Not "spread(ing) easily" is hardly the same as not spreading at all or are you too obtuse to realise that?

You are certainly too thick to comprehend that just posting random stuff that mentions withCovid hardly constitutes
the "critical thinking" you yourself asked for when starting this thread

User avatar
Jimbo
Posts: 17808
Joined: 26 Dec 2009, 21:22

Re: Critically thinking about the corona virus

Postby Jimbo » 23 May 2020, 11:43

Sam Stone wrote:
Jimbo wrote:Hey, here's a whole lot less horseshit for you pod folks to fret over!

From USA Today

Coronavirus 'does not spread easily' by touching surfaces or objects, CDC says. But it still 'may be possible.' ... nor by animal-to-human contact or vice versa.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/hea ... 232748002/

(I can see DD going, "But it still may be possible. It still may be possible.")


Your point being what exactly?

Not "spread(ing) easily" is hardly the same as not spreading at all or are you too obtuse to realise that?

You are certainly too thick to comprehend that just posting random stuff that mentions withCovid hardly constitutes
the "critical thinking" you yourself asked for when starting this thread


From the article.

Many people were concerned that by simply touching an object they may get coronavirus, and that’s simply not the case.


Clearer?

How many other threats have been walked back exposing the covid-19 crisis to be a big load of horseshit? Off the top of my head there are exaggerated numbers, the need, ineffectiveness and then poor safety record of respirators, the unnecessary closing of schools, the dearth of hospital space and save the NHS horse crap, those in-the-know officials breaking the lockdown rules, the actual danger and lethal-ness of the virus. Gee, can anyone else think of other ways this crisis is horseshit?
You don't have to be smart to see how fucked up this shit is. Jimmy Dore

Sam Stone
Posts: 2005
Joined: 25 Aug 2016, 17:12

Re: Critically thinking about the corona virus

Postby Sam Stone » 23 May 2020, 11:56

Jimbo wrote:
From the article.

Many people were concerned that by simply touching an object they may get coronavirus, and that’s simply not the case.


Clearer?




Much clearer thanks.

Am sure that your cutting and pasting of USA Today's clarification that their loved ones didn't get sick from simply touching an object will be of real comfort to the families and friends of the

5,326,230 current Covid-19 sufferers

and

340,383 people who already died from the virus*

*Figures as of midday today

User avatar
Jimbo
Posts: 17808
Joined: 26 Dec 2009, 21:22

Re: Critically thinking about the corona virus

Postby Jimbo » 23 May 2020, 12:14

Sam Stone wrote:
Am sure that your cutting and pasting of USA Today's clarification that their loved ones didn't get sick from simply touching an object will be of real comfort to the families and friends of the

5,326,230 current Covid-19 sufferers

and

340,383 people who already died from the virus*

*Figures as of midday today


As I said before, the numbers are crap because the tests are crap.
You don't have to be smart to see how fucked up this shit is. Jimmy Dore

Sam Stone
Posts: 2005
Joined: 25 Aug 2016, 17:12

Re: Critically thinking about the corona virus

Postby Sam Stone » 23 May 2020, 12:25

Jimbo wrote:
Sam Stone wrote:
Am sure that your cutting and pasting of USA Today's clarification that their loved ones didn't get sick from simply touching an object will be of real comfort to the families and friends of the

5,326,230 current Covid-19 sufferers

and

340,383 people who already died from the virus*

*Figures as of midday today


As I said before, the numbers are crap because the tests are crap.


Eh?

Just a few weeks ago, you were dismissing Covid-19 sufferer/fatality numbers as being no worse than those for good old "Just flu".

Now you seem to have modified your position.

While the testing almost certainly is inaccurate, surely the authorities would underestimate rather than overestimate the number of victims in order to make themselves look better.

This would mean that the real number of those suffering or dead from coronavirus as posted on Worldometer is in fact even higher and therefore measurably worse than those for "Just Flu"?

Do you actually believe anything you post here. J, or is it all the result of your sociopathic need to be the centre of attention the whole time?

User avatar
toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Posts: 28693
Joined: 07 Apr 2005, 00:01
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Re: Critically thinking about the corona virus

Postby toomanyhatz » 24 May 2020, 05:15

Jimbo moving the goalposts is hardly news. It's what he does. It's gopher logic. Bat down one piece of it and he pops up with another.

What I'd like to know is, if this is a plot to keep us all living in fear, why "walk back" anything?

Hmm, could it be that they're actually being honest when they say they don't know everything, and they're still figuring it out as they go along?

So do I want to believe Scientists claiming THEY DON'T ACTUALLY KNOW EVERYTHING? Or Jimbo and President Trump claiming they know better than everyone else (and have absolutely no evidence to back any of their claims)?

Wow, tough choice.

And what do I say to those people that tell me IF I TOUCH STUFF I'LL BE ARRESTED!!

Oh, those people don't exist? Oh, I'm NOT being kept from the beach? I'm ALLOWED to go outside?

B-but...I thought I was being oppressed!

Quick, I need to find some jackass non-scientist to tell me what to do here.
Jimbo wrote:Solid conspiracy thinking is actually just deep investigative journalism.

Jimbo also wrote:Here is Icke's most up to date interview. Three hours.


1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020? 2021? 2022?

User avatar
toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Posts: 28693
Joined: 07 Apr 2005, 00:01
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Re: Critically thinking about the corona virus

Postby toomanyhatz » 24 May 2020, 05:35

From the same article:

"COVID-19 is a new disease and we are still learning about how it spreads,"


"COVID-19 is a new disease and we are still learning about how it spreads,"


The main way to prevent infection, the CDC says, is by practicing social distancing and staying at least 6 feet away from others, washing your hands with soap and water, and cleaning and disinfecting frequently touched areas.


The main way to prevent infection, the CDC says, is by practicing social distancing and staying at least 6 feet away from others, washing your hands with soap and water, and cleaning and disinfecting frequently touched areas.


The CDC said that catching the coronavirus from boxes delivered by Amazon or on your takeout food bag is highly unlikely "because of poor survivability of these coronaviruses on surfaces."


The CDC said that catching the coronavirus from boxes delivered by Amazon or on your takeout food bag is highly unlikely "because of poor survivability of these coronaviruses on surfaces."
Jimbo wrote:Solid conspiracy thinking is actually just deep investigative journalism.

Jimbo also wrote:Here is Icke's most up to date interview. Three hours.


1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020? 2021? 2022?

User avatar
toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Posts: 28693
Joined: 07 Apr 2005, 00:01
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Re: Critically thinking about the corona virus

Postby toomanyhatz » 24 May 2020, 05:49

So wait - are they lying about this? Are they telling the truth about objects being low risk but were lying about it before? I'm so confused!
Jimbo wrote:Solid conspiracy thinking is actually just deep investigative journalism.

Jimbo also wrote:Here is Icke's most up to date interview. Three hours.


1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020? 2021? 2022?

Sam Stone
Posts: 2005
Joined: 25 Aug 2016, 17:12

Re: Critically thinking about the corona virus

Postby Sam Stone » 24 May 2020, 09:42

toomanyhatz wrote:From the same article:

"COVID-19 is a new disease and we are still learning about how it spreads,"


"COVID-19 is a new disease and we are still learning about how it spreads,"


The main way to prevent infection, the CDC says, is by practicing social distancing and staying at least 6 feet away from others, washing your hands with soap and water, and cleaning and disinfecting frequently touched areas.


The main way to prevent infection, the CDC says, is by practicing social distancing and staying at least 6 feet away from others, washing your hands with soap and water, and cleaning and disinfecting frequently touched areas.


The CDC said that catching the coronavirus from boxes delivered by Amazon or on your takeout food bag is highly unlikely "because of poor survivability of these coronaviruses on surfaces."


The CDC said that catching the coronavirus from boxes delivered by Amazon or on your takeout food bag is highly unlikely "because of poor survivability of these coronaviruses on surfaces."



You can say that again.

What I want to know is how come Jimbo hasn't spoken up on behalf of his fellow "Truthers" in the Flat Earth Society, many of whose members are being pushed over the edge by this social distancing gubbins

User avatar
Rorschach
Posts: 2439
Joined: 02 Jun 2008, 12:43

Re: Critically thinking about the corona virus

Postby Rorschach » 24 May 2020, 12:50

Does Jimbo realise that this information from the CDC goes directly against what he is espousing?

The argument and data suggesting that infection from surfaces is not likely to be very significant has been around from the beginning, and building since then. It's still not conclusive but I'm certainly not surprised to see that this is the current best estimate.

But what that means is that it is being passed almost entirely by human contact, and the only way to stop the spread of the virus is to keep people from coming into contact with each other.I.e. lockdown was and is necessary.
Bugger off.

User avatar
Deebank
Resonator
Posts: 24040
Joined: 10 Oct 2003, 13:47
Location: Insanity filled foxhole

Re: Critically thinking about the corona virus

Postby Deebank » 24 May 2020, 15:31

'The Travelling Skull'

(thanks Armando Ianucci)
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

User avatar
Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist
Posts: 24634
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 18:51
Location: at sea

Re: Critically thinking about the corona virus

Postby Copehead » 25 May 2020, 06:02

Deebank wrote:'The Travelling Skull'

(thanks Armando Ianucci)


It is amazing the utter contempt they hold us in.

But when you look at the morons who vote to be treated like this perhaps understandable.

As long as a minority of morons and sociopaths can give them an 80 seat majority why would they change?
I'm Jay Z on a bad day, Shakespeare on my worst days

Image

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

User avatar
Deebank
Resonator
Posts: 24040
Joined: 10 Oct 2003, 13:47
Location: Insanity filled foxhole

Re: Critically thinking about the corona virus

Postby Deebank » 25 May 2020, 10:55

Copehead wrote:
Deebank wrote:'The Travelling Skull'

(thanks Armando Ianucci)


It is amazing the utter contempt they hold us in.

But when you look at the morons who vote to be treated like this perhaps understandable.

As long as a minority of morons and sociopaths can give them an 80 seat majority why would they change?


And that’s the policy here... no one will remember This in four years. That and perhaps that Brexit is still more important than any other dingle issue.

We shall see.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro