Critically thinking about the corona virus

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Jimbly

Re: Critically thinking about the corona virus

Postby Jimbly » 13 May 2020, 08:29

Jimbo wrote:
toomanyhatz wrote: Presumably you've met a few fundies in your time.

"Fundies"? Is this the left's version of "da jooz"? .

I've done some research and checked in with my sources
The answer is Fundamentalists.
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 13 May 2020, 08:33

It's actually short for "fucking undies". As in, "I fancy my chances tonight, I've got my fundies on".
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 13 May 2020, 08:39

More persuasive commentary.

May 12, 2020
Opposing lockdown is NOT “profits before people”

The UK’s policy is already killing people, it will kill many more if we don’t stop it. Soon.

Kit Knightly

... The. Lockdown. Is. Killing. People.

Unemployment. Debt. Stress. Bankruptcy. These are not just “economic considerations”, they are life or death. The lockdown is bringing largescale poverty with it.

Poverty kills people. Millions of them every year.

And thanks to the policies enacted by global governments – and cheered on by so many on “the left” – those numbers are about to get bigger. A lot bigger. For this year, and many years to come.

Unless we stop it.
https://off-guardian.org/2020/05/12/opp ... re-people/
You don't have to be smart to see how fucked up this shit is. Jimmy Dore

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 13 May 2020, 08:48

Thanks for the Wiki page. Thought you might have some of your own recollections.
People go on too much about the privileged background of politicians but actually Matt Hancock had a very humble upbringing in an Italian workshop owned by a woodworker named Geppetto who turned him into a human boy.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 13 May 2020, 08:57

Diamond Dog wrote:Thanks for the Wiki page. Thought you might have some of your own recollections.

We all - except for you - inherently know of the long history of the Church and science and know today there are many wonderful Catholic hospitals and universities practicing and teaching the most modern techniques. Your questioning of my remark makes you the one who needs to say how this relationship between the two has not been good for mankind.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 13 May 2020, 12:02

I didn't say I didn't know - good try though. I also don't claim to speak for 'all' as you do. I was asking you what your recollections of the Catholic Church and science was. You put up a Wiki page.

Says it all.
People go on too much about the privileged background of politicians but actually Matt Hancock had a very humble upbringing in an Italian workshop owned by a woodworker named Geppetto who turned him into a human boy.

Rorschach

Postby Rorschach » 14 May 2020, 08:02

Interesting data out of Spain that hasn't gained much traction in the UK yet. I won't bother posting the Spanish links, for obvious reasons but this is buried deep in the scrolling live coronavirus news feed in the Guardian:

Sam Jones - Guardian Spain corespondent wrote:A nationwide study of more than 60,000 people in Spain suggests about 5% of the population – approximately 2 million people – have had the virus.

According to the provisional results of tests designed by the health ministry and the Carlos III public health institute, 5% of those tested had produced antibodies.

While the prevalence of the antibodies was similar in men and women, it was lower in children and babies.

There were also significant regional variations: while Murcia, Melilla, Asturias and the Canary islands showed an infection rate of less than 2%, the proportion rose to more than 10% in the regions of Madrid and Castilla-La Mancha.

As the health minister Salvador Illa made plain on Wednesday evening, the study shows herd immunity has not been achieved.

This was a randomly controlled trial and not just testing of people who presented symptoms so it probably is a good reflection of what's really happening in the country.

I just did a quick calculation:

There are 27,000+ officially dead from coronavirus in Spain although the number is certainly higher as there is a far higher excess mortality for the year so far. Some of these will be from other causes such as not being able to get treatment for other diseases due to the near collapse of the health system. Also, the last two flu seasons have been brutal so that may well be influencing the data.

But, even if we take these figures as they are, that means 2,000,000 infections and 27,000 deaths. That's a mortality rate of 1.35%
This is pretty much what the WHO estimated right at the beginning.

No-one will know for sure until it's over, but the evidence is stacking up that:

a) coronavirus is highly contagious.

b) we're a looooong way from herd immunity.

c) it is more than 13 times more lethal than flu.
Bugger off.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 15 May 2020, 16:05

From Feb 15th :

Jimbo wrote:You worried about an epidemic? Here's an epidemic our media don't want you to be worried about. From the Lancet ... okay?

About 200 million cases of viral community-acquired pneumonia occur every year—100 million in children and
100 million in adults.

http://biblioteca.asmn.re.it/allegati/l ... 093922.pdf

And this is why the corona virus story is utter horseshit. Even if they tell us 1000, 2000, 3000 people have died, that's nothing compared to a real threat like pneumonia - which kills millions every year. So don't believe the hype, please. I mean they're considering stopping the Tokyo Olympics over this media/pharma fake trifle.

Always worth re-posting it every month.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 15 May 2020, 16:13

4,569,339 cases globally.

304,798 deaths.

Sam Stone

Postby Sam Stone » 15 May 2020, 16:35

Diamond Dog wrote:From Feb 15th :

Jimbo wrote:

I mean they're considering stopping the Tokyo Olympics over this media/pharma fake trifle.

Always worth re-posting it every month.

And let's not forget the fuckers have also shut Jimbo's local gym.

Rorschach

Postby Rorschach » 15 May 2020, 18:01

I’m switching sides! I’m with Jimbo.

I’ve been put on half my hours, meaning half pay (70% of the rest to be paid by the government but the backlog’s apparently over two months) and we can forget about a summer holiday etc. If it doesn’t get worse we should be all right, but I now believe it’s a scam started by the CIA, to discredit Trump and China, and it doesn’t really exist and, anyway, it’s just the flu. And big pharma.
So everyone should just go back to work so I can have my holiday.
Bugger off.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 15 May 2020, 19:15

That's the spirit!

Flower

Postby Flower » 15 May 2020, 19:30

Diamond Dog wrote:That's the spirit!

Is he still drinking this?

If love could've saved you, you would've lived forever.

Sam Stone

Postby Sam Stone » 15 May 2020, 19:34

Rorschach wrote:I’m switching sides! I’m with Jimbo.

I’ve been put on half my hours, meaning half pay (70% of the rest to be paid by the government but the backlog’s apparently over two months) and we can forget about a summer holiday etc. If it doesn’t get worse we should be all right, but I now believe it’s a scam started by the CIA, to discredit Trump and China, and it doesn’t really exist and, anyway, it’s just the flu. And big pharma.
So everyone should just go back to work so I can have my holiday.

If you can't have, or are being held back from having an actual get-away-from-it-all break by sinister forces, why not give yourself a holiday from reality by reading one or two of Jimbo's early posts.

The one about that Eddie Lizard guy who thinks everyone is a giant amphibian following a brief career as Coventry City reserves goalkeeper was a good one.

As was the one about that Tesla chap who calls everyone he doesn't like a 'pedo' and recently named his son after the worst
hand in the history of Scrabble.

And that's just from this thread! You can also opt for intellectually vacuous package tours to destinations such as Dallas Nov 22, 1963 or New York Sept 11, 2001.

LMG
Gentleman Thug

Postby LMG » 16 May 2020, 09:20

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/52665099

You can always talk rationally about standards of evidence to Jimbo.

As P J O'Rourke said 'you can always talk rationally to a barnyard animal for all the good it will do'...

He was talking about Germans, but it is the same principle, really.
"When somebody is the president of the United States, the authority is total" - Donald Trump April 13, 2020
"Doom is Supreme! There is no power on earth, no intellect in all creation to equal MINE!" - Dr Doom, fictional comics villain

Rorschach

Postby Rorschach » 16 May 2020, 10:47

LMG wrote:https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/52665099

You can always talk rationally about standards of evidence to Jimbo.

As P J O'Rourke said 'you can always talk rationally to a barnyard animal for all the good it will do'...

He was talking about Germans, but it is the same principle, really.

Is that from Holidays in Hell?
I loved that book.
Bugger off.

Rorschach

Postby Rorschach » 16 May 2020, 10:49

Sam Stone wrote:
that Tesla chap who ... recently named his son after the worst hand in the history of Scrabble.

Excellent.
Bugger off.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 16 May 2020, 11:14

Rorschach wrote:
Sam Stone wrote:
that Tesla chap who ... recently named his son after the worst hand in the history of Scrabble.

Excellent.

That's not even close to the worst hand in Scrabble, you fucking ignoramus!

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 16 May 2020, 12:16

Eventually there will be an accounting for this. It ought to be soon, and I hope it will be.

But if not, it will be important that protests such as mine were made and heard at the time.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/arti ... lions.html

And mine.

Sam Stone

Postby Sam Stone » 16 May 2020, 12:23

Jimbo wrote:
Eventually there will be an accounting for this. It ought to be soon, and I hope it will be.

But if not, it will be important that protests such as mine were made and heard at the time.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/arti ... lions.html

And mine.

You can't spend money on gym fees when you're dead, J