in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Re: Critically thinking about the corona virus

Postby toomanyhatz » 27 Jul 2020, 20:18

Z-Dogg again, talking sense:

He basically says "the numbers are horseshit."

I don't always agree with him, but at least his motivation seems to be to get at the truth.
Everyone wrote:
Jimbo wrote: take my advice

Uh....

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017 2018 2021? 2022?

toomanyhatz

Postby toomanyhatz » 27 Jul 2020, 20:23

And about masks:

Everyone wrote:

Uh....

Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Postby Lord Rother » 27 Jul 2020, 21:08

toomanyhatz wrote:Z-Dogg again, talking sense:

He basically says "the numbers are horseshit."

I don't always agree with him, but at least his motivation seems to be to get at the truth.

Excellent. I’ve been trying unsuccessfully to find the excess death info for USA as I suspected that would tell a tale.

toomanyhatz

Postby toomanyhatz » 28 Jul 2020, 00:46

One more Z-Dogg for you.

If anything, I think he's possibly being a bit over-optimistic - the recent re-infections have thrown a bit of a wrench into the best-case scenario here - but I agree with him in general that the simple tasks like mask-wearing and distancing would help a great deal if we could reach a decent level of adherence (like I've been saying for months).

Everyone wrote:

Uh....

toomanyhatz

Postby toomanyhatz » 28 Jul 2020, 00:55

I guess I have a "source" now. :lol:
Everyone wrote:

Uh....

toomanyhatz

Postby toomanyhatz » 28 Jul 2020, 00:58

Actually, I have two. Here's the other one:

https://respectfulinsolence.com/2020/07 ... spreaders/

The COVID-19 pandemic has, unfortunately, provided a perfect storm of information mixed with misinformation and rapidly changing science that confuses not just the general public but the public policy response. The entire issue of “super-spreading” is one such issue. On the other hand, if “super-spreading events” really are the main driver of the COVID-19 pandemic, it could be possible to tailor a public health response that isn’t so blunt, that doesn’t limit so much of what we can do. For example, in Japan health officials have noted that “many COVID-19 clusters were associated with heavy breathing in close proximity, such as singing at karaoke parties, cheering at clubs, having conversations in bars, and exercising in gymnasiums”, and Japan’s Prime Minister’s Office and the Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare announced three situations that could increase the risk for COVID-19 cases and advised the population to avoid the “Three Cs”: closed spaces with poor ventilation, crowded places, and close-contact settings.
Everyone wrote:

Uh....

mission

Postby mission » 28 Jul 2020, 02:03

Hey, Jimbo, you decrepit fucktard, have you heard of Larry Brillliant?

He's the man you would have dreamed of being had you not been a lazy, bong-addled, gutslack shit-a-bed. Check him out with your "sources" and then follow him on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/larrybrilliant

It will improve you.

Moving pictures for the hard of thinking
Goodness gracious me.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 28 Jul 2020, 03:19

Me arguing for a reopening of society as we knew it six months ago. Hatz's new cheery doctor pal leaves out the demographics of which groups are most susceptible to the illness. I showed how poor NYC African Americans were stricken harder than Manhattan swells and that inner city immigrants to Sweden were also hard hit. But we hear in the US the illness is still raging and lockdown protocols are still necessary. Not good ... one death is one death too many ... but just who is being hit? If we are all vulnerable then that would be less than ideal and Covid might be the illness which wipes out humanity. But it ain't.

Okay, so who is being stricken?

https://www.acsh.org/news/2020/06/23/co ... race-14863

Coronavirus: COVID Deaths in U.S. by Age, Race

While coronavirus is obviously concerning and a very real threat to some people (namely, the elderly and immunocompromised), these data also show that the risk for the rest of the population is quite low.

By Alex Berezow, PhD — June 23, 2020

PUT SHIT INTO PERSPECTIVE YOU DUMMIES! TREAT THIS LIKE A FLU, COLD, TB, OR ANY NUMBER OF INFECTIOUS DISEASES THAT HAVE PLAGUED US FOR MILLENNIA!

How come out of this Americans don't have universal health care or a UBI, REAL SHIT THAT WOULD HELP?
You don't have to be smart to see how fucked up this shit is. Jimmy Dore

Sam Stone

Postby Sam Stone » 28 Jul 2020, 05:48

Jimbo wrote:Me arguing for a reopening of society as we knew it six months ago. Hatz's new cheery doctor pal leaves out the demographics of which groups are most susceptible to the illness. I showed how poor NYC African Americans were stricken harder than Manhattan swells and that inner city immigrants to Sweden were also hard hit. But we hear in the US the illness is still raging and lockdown protocols are still necessary. Not good ... one death is one death too many ... but just who is being hit? If we are all vulnerable then that would be less than ideal and Covid might be the illness which wipes out humanity. But it ain't.

Okay, so who is being stricken?

https://www.acsh.org/news/2020/06/23/co ... race-14863

Coronavirus: COVID Deaths in U.S. by Age, Race

While coronavirus is obviously concerning and a very real threat to some people (namely, the elderly and immunocompromised), these data also show that the risk for the rest of the population is quite low.

By Alex Berezow, PhD — June 23, 2020

PUT SHIT INTO PERSPECTIVE YOU DUMMIES! TREAT THIS LIKE A FLU, COLD, TB, OR ANY NUMBER OF INFECTIOUS DISEASES THAT HAVE PLAGUED US FOR MILLENNIA!

How come out of this Americans don't have universal health care or a UBI, REAL SHIT THAT WOULD HELP?

How about you show us COVID-19 deaths as a percentage of EXCESS deaths?

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 28 Jul 2020, 06:35

Sam Stone wrote:How about you show us COVID-19 deaths as a percentage of EXCESS deaths?

Excess shmexess. It's irrelevant. First of all I honestly can't grok what they're doing or saying with this "excess death" number. Must be because I am stupid and you are all so smart. I never was a math guy. But you all get the excess number deal, right? RIGHT? To skeptical little old me, however, it seems like they've found a new number to cover their asses because everyone now knows all the numbers are horseshit. Still the most important number is how many people are actually dying from Covid - excess numbers or no excess numbers. And they still don't really know. It is still horseshit. But we do know who is being hit by the virus - and it ain't most of the US population, not by a long shot.

Look. I am 68 years old. I'm in the danger zone. Tell you what. Fuck it. Don't worry about me. You young people go off and have your parties, concerts, art exhibits, world travel. Live your lives. I'm pretty sure I will be fine for now. Or not. Don't stop shit on my account. Go. Enjoy. Fuck, suck and be happy. I'll be all right.

Sam Stone

Postby Sam Stone » 28 Jul 2020, 08:42

"Excess shmexess" indeed:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/202 ... eaths.html

Since you seem to be having difficulty with the concept, here's how the OurWorld in Data website defines excess mortality (or death as us simple folk call it).

Excess mortality is a term used in epidemiology and public health that refers to the number of deaths above and beyond what we would have expected to see under ‘normal’ conditions.1 It is used to measure the mortality impact of a crisis when not all causes of death are known.

Last edited by Sam Stone on 28 Jul 2020, 09:03, edited 3 times in total.

Sam Stone

Postby Sam Stone » 28 Jul 2020, 08:49

Jimbo wrote:

Must be because I am stupid and you are all so smart.

Flower

Postby Flower » 28 Jul 2020, 11:41

souphound wrote::o :x :x :x :x :x :( :( :(

Unbelievable. Even in Canada eh?

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/article-officers-clear-out-disheartening-brampton-house-party-with-20-2/

Officers clear out ‘disheartening’ Brampton house party with 200 attendees
BRAMPTON, ONTARIO
THE CANADIAN PRESS
PUBLISHED JULY 26, 2020
Police west of Toronto say bylaw officers broke up a house party attended by as many as 200 people on Saturday night.

Peel Regional Police say the partygoers in Brampton, Ont., were violating provincial emergency orders enacted because of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Peel Region remains in Stage 2 of the province’s reopening plan, limiting gatherings to a maximum of 10 people with physical distancing in effect.

Police say nearby residents called in to report the party just before 10 p.m., and bylaw officers arrived on scene about an hour later.

They say it took another hour to clear out the party.

Police say they didn’t lay criminal charges, and representatives for the City of Brampton did not immediately respond to a request for comment about whether bylaw officers issued tickets.

Constable Kyle Villers called the incident “disheartening.”

“It shows the complete disregard for the health and well being of everybody in Brampton,” he said. “To have a party with this many people giving the state of the world with COVID-19 is a ripe opportunity for another outbreak.”

Constable Villers said it only takes one person to show symptoms to have hundreds of cases come out, which affects the greater community.

I sincerely despair.

In the first place, how did these idiots think they were going to get away with it? The hosts had even hired security just to park the cars, of which there were around 100.

You have to love Doug Ford .. :D

Ontario premier blasts 'yahoos' who held huge party, wants full extent of law thrown at them

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/ontario-prem ... -1.5040882
If love could've saved you, you would've lived forever.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 28 Jul 2020, 14:16

The Face Mask Debate

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 28 Jul 2020, 14:23

Speaking of hydroxychloroquine ....

UK pays £20m for Donald Trump's malaria drug 'Covid cure ... Over the last two months, the UK has entered into 16 contracts for the medicines chloroquine, hydroxychloroquine, and chloroquine phosphate used for malaria and other diseases and placed major orders for lopinavir-ritonavir, which is normally used to treat HIV, according to records published in the EU database of public procurements seen by The Guardian. https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/0 ... ovid-cure/

Sam Stone

Postby Sam Stone » 28 Jul 2020, 17:56

Jimbo wrote:The Face Mask Debate

While I like the playfulness of the red and white design in the middle, it doesn't look terribly practical.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 28 Jul 2020, 23:15

Slightly off topic but it is from the BBC where much of this hyped up, dare I say "fake" covid news emanates. This is from where you believers get your info. The following is a real report from the once venerable BBC.

Warning: This is not a Monty Python sketch.

What the heroin industry can teach us about solar power

It is the story of how Afghan opium growers have switched to solar power, and significantly increased the world supply of heroin.

(My favorite line.) He harvested his opium crop in May; now he is growing tomatoes.

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-53450688

toomanyhatz

Postby toomanyhatz » 29 Jul 2020, 00:25

The baseball season continues, with minimal protection for the players and (of course) the best financial protection possible under the circumstances for the owners. Again, millionaires vs. billionaires. I know who I'm rooting for.

As huge of a fan as I am, I think this guy may be right (though of course it's quite telling that the only major outbreak so far among players happened in Florida, AKA Denier Central):

https://www.thenation.com/article/socie ... ovid-fail/

Reopening American sports might be possible if we lived in a country that was guided by science and culturally united in its fight against the virus. But we don’t live in that kind of country. Instead, we live in a place guided by magical thinking, led by a divisive government that has turned public health into a culture war. We live in a country that puts its infectious disease expert on the pitcher’s mound to throw out the first pitch, while putting one of its greatest pitchers in the White House for a coronavirus photo-op.
Everyone wrote:

Uh....

toomanyhatz

Postby toomanyhatz » 29 Jul 2020, 00:53

And...oh boy!...we seem to have found the American David Icke:

https://mashable.com/article/demon-sperm-trending-why/
Everyone wrote:

Uh....