in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Sam Stone

Re: Critically thinking about the corona virus

Postby Sam Stone » 22 Jul 2020, 10:48

Diamond Dog wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:
Jimbo wrote:
Worldmeter

Did you mean Worldometer? The one that reports the Coronavirus figures daily - that you dispute, daily?

This : https://www.worldometers.info/

I note that you never answered this?

Can I have a stab at answering for him?

Horseshit!

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 22 Jul 2020, 13:51

Diamond Dog wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:
Jimbo wrote:
Worldmeter

Did you mean Worldometer? The one that reports the Coronavirus figures daily - that you dispute, daily?

This : https://www.worldometers.info/

I note that you never answered this?

Thought it was rhetorical because it is such a dumb question. I assume the Worldometer is honest and just reports the numbers they are given. But I have shown you case after case where the official numbers are fudged. Why just today from Scotland; The Times - "Coronavirus in Scotland: Elderly died due to mistakes we made, top adviser admits" https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/coro ... -c5z359nlp So whatever horseshit numbers the Scottish officials made up that's the number that went into the Worldometer's pot, likely buried in the stew of the 7,215,427 communicable disease deaths. Okay? We cool?
You don't have to be smart to see how fucked up this shit is. Jimmy Dore

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 22 Jul 2020, 15:05

So you're not believing any number Worldometer put up about COVID, yet you use every other statistic they print as FACT that the COVID numbers are gibberish? See what I mean about 'cherry picking' Dumbo?

You are a fucking clown.
So I got several cans of Pringles.But what they don't fucking tell you..is that the primary ingredient is something called "olean" which I have since learned is Latin for "Unwashable & Indestructible Ass Grease."

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 22 Jul 2020, 15:25

Diamond Dog wrote:So you're not believing any number Worldometer put up about COVID, yet you use every other statistic they print as FACT that the COVID numbers are gibberish? See what I mean about 'cherry picking' Dumbo?

You are a fucking clown.

Can't you read? I said the Covid numbers from government officials are provably wrong so Worldometer's are probably wrong as well. Garbage in garbage out. Whether the other statistics are right I can't say but until I hear otherwise I will assume they are correct. Okay?

Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Postby Lord Rother » 22 Jul 2020, 16:48

I have little faith in Worldometers numbers to be fair.

No doubt the real numbers in Trumpland are being fudged in some way. Nothing that cunt influences in any way is going to be straight.

Rather than dealing with the reality of the situation (God forbid!) he will have had many WH meetings searching for a way to suppress the facts, of that you can be certain.

And even then, they are still in a league of their own.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 22 Jul 2020, 17:12

Jimbo wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:So you're not believing any number Worldometer put up about COVID, yet you use every other statistic they print as FACT that the COVID numbers are gibberish? See what I mean about 'cherry picking' Dumbo?

You are a fucking clown.

Can't you read? I said the Covid numbers from government officials are provably wrong so Worldometer's are probably wrong as well. Garbage in garbage out. Whether the other statistics are right I can't say but until I hear otherwise I will assume they are correct. Okay?

Read above for definition of "confirmation bias". It has never been more clear.
So I got several cans of Pringles.But what they don't fucking tell you..is that the primary ingredient is something called "olean" which I have since learned is Latin for "Unwashable & Indestructible Ass Grease."

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 22 Jul 2020, 17:32

Oh brother so now Jimbo doesn't believe worldmeter either, after pushing those numbers down or throats for months.

Jimbo take a class in statistics please. Even worldmeter says the stats are estimates (although not sure on Covid) and adjusted as new data comes in.

In regards to Covid cases and deaths - I would bet that when all is said and done the numbers will be in close range. For every case that is logged as Covid death and found to be something else there is another death was counted as something else. I deal with two NY state hospitals and talk to the head of HR all the time and am friendly with one of them. During the worse of it at their hospital they had 185 people on ventilators normally they have 6 or 7. They are back down to under 10. However, I asked him the question about labeling deaths as Covid, he stated they have changed multiple deaths both ways, in the end (like most stats) the number was very close to the same. I know Jimbo will not care what I stated and ask for proof but figured someone might be interested. es I'm sure JImbo is right that may places are labeling incorrect deaths. But it's stats typically they even out.

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 22 Jul 2020, 17:49

It has always been clear. Note the increasingly desperate attempt to come up with a "confirmation bias" explanation.

"I just know the numbers are bullshit but I can't prove how - maybe it's this. Maybe it's this. Maybe it's..."

...and eventually it comes around to the same bullshit the tinfoil hat crowd is pushing.

Maybe it's a couple of incompetent leaders mishandling an international health crisis?

As for Trump now embracing masks and me thinking that makes everything OK, note how that was handled.

"OK, I'll embracing them publicly - as long as I can take credit for how great that makes me."

Yes, it's good that he's doing it. But he's doing it for the same reason he does everything - to serve his ego.

Maybe, just maybe, some of his "people" (like Jimbo) will embrace it, and numbers will start to go down. I live in hope. But it's also possible that they'll assume he was forced into it (hah!) and doesn't really mean it. In which case we have the disorganized mess we've had since March.

This is why I bring up side issues - because one way or another the "new normal" is a reality. And I'm interested in how that looks for people.

Other than Jimbo, of course - I know how it looks for him. Meekly accept every restriction and then tell everybody else not to. Keyboard warrior in his bunker, like his hero in the White House basement.

Fuck that, now and forever. And again.

Anyway, food apps - what's everyone think?
Jimbo wrote:Solid conspiracy thinking is actually just deep investigative journalism.

Jimbo also wrote:Here is Icke's most up to date interview. Three hours.

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017 2018 2020? 2021? 2022?

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 22 Jul 2020, 18:38

toomanyhatz wrote:
Maybe it's a couple of incompetent leaders mishandling an international health crisis?

Maybe.

And had these leaders done as they were first advised and let herd immunity do its job we'd still have the deaths but we'd still be able to fly in planes, go to concerts, etc. Instead they followed the advice of Bill Gates and the amazingly prescient Event 201 script and shut the economy down until the curve was flattened (which it is but the lockdown continues. Why?) or until a vaccine is produced.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 22 Jul 2020, 19:03

Just fuck off you clueless, mendacious cunt.

toomanyhatz

Postby toomanyhatz » 22 Jul 2020, 19:48

Jimbo wrote:had these leaders done as they were first advised

Advised by who? You, or another "science expert?"

we'd still have the deaths

Those deaths you keep denying are happening? Those deaths? Wow, your scientific knowledge knows no limits.

but we'd still be able to fly in planes

We are.

, go to concerts

We are.

Instead they followed the advice of Bill Gates

Yes, Boris and Donald Badhair followed it to the letter. :roll:

the curve was flattened

It was. Temporarily. And then party time began and it went back up.

the lockdown continues.

It doesn't. It's locked down where there are fucking outbreaks. Where the lockdown reduced numbers, restrictions have been loosened. Like where I live, for example.

For further information see Diamond Dog's post. You keep switching back and forth between mis-stating the facts and coming up with increasingly ridiculous "theories." My fault for continuing to respond, I guess. But at least you could make up your fucking mind which brain-dead path you want to pursue. It should really be one or the other.
Jimbo wrote:Solid conspiracy thinking is actually just deep investigative journalism.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 22 Jul 2020, 19:51

Diamond Dog wrote:Just fuck off you clueless, mendacious cunt.

Been reading again Dog?

toomanyhatz

Postby toomanyhatz » 23 Jul 2020, 00:24

Speaking of Worldometers on the Coronavirus:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

As I've said before, the most telling number isn't the number of cases. That can have a lot to do with how widespread and accurate the testing is. The number to look at is deaths per cases, or per million population.

Here's your top ten for deaths as a percentage of population:

1 San Marino
2 Belgium
3 Andorra
4 UK
5 Spain
6 Italy
7 Sweden
8 France
9 Chile
10 USA

Yep - that's right - Sweden - the world's shining example of how herd immunity works - is at number 7. Ahead of the US, despite our inept leadership, inconsistent messaging, and commercialized healthcare. And not that far behind the UK. For comparison, Denmark is #38, Finland #56, and Estonia way down at #65.

But I'm sure Bill Gates found some way to mess with those numbers, right?

toomanyhatz

Postby toomanyhatz » 23 Jul 2020, 02:10

On the bright side, the "new normal" has provided some good things:

Drive-in movies are a thing again!
A lot more people are working from home, which means the traffic and pollution is better, and people can spend more time with their families

Looking at it totally selfishly, I am a "non-essential" worker whose job is in no danger whatsoever - the music biz is still making plenty of money - downloads and streaming is up, even if physical product is down.

In time - I truly believe this - even without a vaccine - we'll figure out a way to go about our lives safely. In fact it's already started.

Six String

Postby Six String » 23 Jul 2020, 04:17

Even with a lot of numbers up in California I don't feel less safe as I haven't changed my behavior much since March. I did get a haircut a month ago but outside of that it has been just food purchases and gas for the little bit I use the car.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 23 Jul 2020, 04:35

Hold on. In this editorial about Sweden there is this.

Immigrants from Somalia, Iraq, Syria, and Afghanistan are highly overrepresented among COVID-19 deaths. This has been attributed partly to a lack of information in immigrants’ languages. But a more important factor seems to be the housing density in some immigrant-heavy suburbs, enhanced by closer physical proximity between generations.
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/opinion/20 ... ish-model/

Like the under-reported deaths of poor inner-city African-Americans in the US there was this in Sweden.

While each death is sad it is good news for the middle and upper classes. Our (I am in the middle class) statistical chances of catching the illness are now even lower. It seems poverty and living in impoverished conditions is a condition for catching Covid-19.

I will go out on another limb and guess the under-reporting is due to middle class sensitivity in talking about race, one of the issues the BLM thing raises. Had the media been frank about the class and skin color of a large percentage of the victims they'd be called out for racism. Not to mention how active steps to rehouse and care for that population would have been helpful. Yes, I heard a lot about obesity, diabetes, pre-existing conditions and old age but not very much about the lower class of the victims. Let's get real.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 23 Jul 2020, 08:13

Jimbo wrote:
While each death is sad it is good news for the middle and upper classes. Our (I am in the middle class) statistical chances of catching the illness are now even lower. It seems poverty and living in impoverished conditions is a condition for catching Covid-19.

I will go out on another limb and guess the under-reporting is due to middle class sensitivity in talking about race, one of the issues the BLM thing raises.

Well it's kind of nice for you to celebrate that your chances of catching COVID have gone down - and fuck whoever else that affects. Nice touch.

"The BLM thing". That really says it all. "The BLM thing".

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 24 Jul 2020, 11:01

We may already have herd immunity – an interview with Professor Sunetra Gupta

... In an ideal situation, you would protect the vulnerable as best you can, let people go about their business, allow herd immunity to build up, make sure the economy doesn’t crash, make sure the arts are preserved, and make sure qualities of kindness and tolerance remain in place.
https://reaction.life/we-may-already-ha ... tra-gupta/

If all you want is bad news then this amazing interview is not for you. Gupta's suggestions seem too simple, too practicable, too sensible, too old schooly, like how our grandparents handled problems. So DON'T READ!!!

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 24 Jul 2020, 12:07

Jimbo wrote:

... In an ideal situation, you would protect the vulnerable as best you can, let people go about their business, allow herd immunity to build up, make sure the economy doesn’t crash, make sure the arts are preserved, and make sure qualities of kindness and tolerance remain in place.

If all you want is bad news then this amazing interview is not for you. Gupta's suggestions seem too simple, too practicable, too sensible, too old schooly, like how our grandparents handled problems. So DON'T READ!!!

Of course our grandparents generation died... In their millions.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Sam Stone

Postby Sam Stone » 24 Jul 2020, 12:38

Deebank wrote:
Jimbo wrote:

Of course our grandparents generation died... In their millions.

Don't worry, DB. Most of those who fell victim to the 1918 Spanish Flu died in the second wave that came with the cold winter weather.

Our generation still has the second wave to look forward to (if that's the right expression).

Sadly, herd immunity also might be an entirely moot point as some people who've had C19 and recovered now seem to be getting it again.