Corona State of Mind

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia

Re: Corona State of Mind

Postby The Prof » 19 Mar 2020, 13:26

It's certainly bringing out the best and worst in people.

Rorschach

Postby Rorschach » 19 Mar 2020, 14:28

The Modernist wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:. The only way to get people to self isolate and social distance is by regulation - make it law.

How can you do that when you can't get food deliveries? You can't expect people to stay in and starve.

In Spain, you're allowed out of the house to walk the dog, go to work or go shopping.
Now, shops only allow a certain number of people in at a time and all staff wear face masks. Queues to get into shops are controlled by security staff, with people kept 1 metre apart.

Schools, gyms, restaurants etc. are all closed.

So far it seems to be working, in that people can get their shopping done (you need to start queuing early if you want toilet paper or pasta) but there are no crowds and the streets are generally empty.

This was, of course, all done by law.
Bugger off.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 19 Mar 2020, 14:53

That's kind of the point I'm making Tym. Sadly this country is unable to rely upon good common sense to get over this issue. So we need direction and regulation.
I get a weekly delivery from Sainsburys, and have done for five years or so. I just got it this morning and went online to book next weeks. There are no slots available all week. Next week, the week after and the week after that.
That's the kind of insanity we are dealing with here and, whatever it takes (as Johnson keeps spouting) is what it needs to stop this madness.
I still think almost everyone is wrong and I am right.
Post hoc, ergo propter hoc
As silver tears they weave and lace, Sad patterns upon her face

Rorschach

Postby Rorschach » 19 Mar 2020, 17:16

Diamond Dog wrote:That's kind of the point I'm making Tym. Sadly this country is unable to rely upon good common sense to get over this issue.

I doubt any country can rely on common sense. As has become horribly apparent in the last few years, about half of the human race, whatever the country, are fucking idiots.

If you don't mandate that people do what is necessary to stop the spread of this virus, then half of the people won't do it. You have to close the pubs by law or people will go to them.

There have been embarrassing clips on the news here of burley English tourists, draped in Union Jacks and drinking beer in the streets while jeering at the police who are trying to persuade them to go back to their hotels. It's not a good look.

By the way, I reckon that, so far, one 60th of one percent of the population have died from this, which is about the same odds as getting four out of six numbers in the lottery. I've had four out of six before.

I may have totally made up those numbers...
Bugger off.

Rorschach

Postby Rorschach » 19 Mar 2020, 17:34

I've looked into the real numbers now and my back of the envelope calculations tell me that you're more likely to have got 4 out of five numbers, plus one star number on the Euromillions than you are to have died of the coronavirus in Spain so far. Of course, the numbers of deaths will increase a lot and relative 'correct numbers' requirement will decrease.

Anyway, those results would have won you less than €82 this week.
I'm sure a lot of us know people who've won that kind of money. I have, at least twice.
Bugger off.

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 19 Mar 2020, 20:32

Wow. Italy's death count now surpassing China, with more than 3400 dead.

Personally things have been filled with tension and anxiety, not for myself but for my sister in the Netherlands who currently is tending to her very ill boyfriend in an area which has a very high degree of corona virus-affected people. If she gets infected she would be in a high-risk category as she has severe lung and heart-issues. It's pretty devastating to think I couldn't go out there to be with her if she is getting infected; the (initial) decision of the Dutch prime minister to adopt a herd immunity-stance ln combating this virus certainly not what sets kg mind at ease either

Still working, our stores now open an hour later as staff starts the first hour to disinfect and clean all features of our store first.
Business hasn't dropped, a lot of people now buying computer and connection gear to start working from home. Also, the closure of the Apple-stores have seen our iPhone-sales soaring.
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

John aka Josh

Postby John aka Josh » 19 Mar 2020, 22:46

Rorschach wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:That's kind of the point I'm making Tym. Sadly this country is unable to rely upon good common sense to get over this issue.

I doubt any country can rely on common sense. As has become horribly apparent in the last few years, about half of the human race, whatever the country, are fucking idiots.*

On Wednesday I spent half an hour with my class answering any questions they had about coronavirus. One of the questions was "Why are shops running out of things?" My answer was stupidity, which I then amended to worry and stupidity. Sounds as if you gentlemen would be in agreement.

They were very relieved when I assured them that it was extremely unlikely that their dogs, cats and rabbits were extremely unlikely to catch this disease.

School has been a rather surreal place this week. I believe we're still awaiting the official definition of key workers, whose children will be invited to come to school from next Monday. A mother launched a furious tirade this afternoon when told that her son would definitely not be invited, as she has neither a job nor does her partner. Fun times.

Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Postby Lord Rother » 20 Mar 2020, 07:29

Deebank wrote:
The Modernist wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:. The only way to get people to self isolate and social distance is by regulation - make it law.

How can you do that when you can't get food deliveries? You can't expect people to stay in and starve.

Yes, there are loads of issues with making laws banning social contact.

Firstly, some contact is unavoidable clearly.
Secondly, there's no way to enforce that law.
And thirdly it could cause just as many problems as it tries to solve.

However, I think there needs to be strong guidance - which has been lacking. In fact citizens have been taking the lead and government following a day or so behind.

I read this morning that it isn't Johnson's style to enact draconian laws but if that's what is holding him back it's making him look weak and utterly out of his depth.

They say 'cometh the hour, cometh the man' ... He isn't the man.

What nonsense. He’s been very impressive, even acknowledged by non-fans.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 20 Mar 2020, 09:27

Lord Rother wrote:
Deebank wrote:
The Modernist wrote:

Yes, there are loads of issues with making laws banning social contact.

Firstly, some contact is unavoidable clearly.
Secondly, there's no way to enforce that law.
And thirdly it could cause just as many problems as it tries to solve.

However, I think there needs to be strong guidance - which has been lacking. In fact citizens have been taking the lead and government following a day or so behind.

I read this morning that it isn't Johnson's style to enact draconian laws but if that's what is holding him back it's making him look weak and utterly out of his depth.

They say 'cometh the hour, cometh the man' ... He isn't the man.

I can see how you could get that impression from the MSM but seriously, his response has been slow, ineffective, confused or unrealistic.

Pub down the road from me is having a karaoke night tonight! And you can’t really blame them. They’re trying to get some cash in.

I am self employed - freelance, sole trader - nothing!

If he doesn’t pull his finger out things will turn nasty.

They say you’re only ever three meals away from anarchy.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 20 Mar 2020, 09:33

Lord Rother wrote:

You must have some very odd friends.

I've just talked with my ex-wife, who is a huge Johnson fan. Even she was saying how embarrassed she was by his update last night, when he waffled on through question after question regarding why he won't just enforce the advice he & Govt give out. It was pathetic watching him squirm and writhe around (her words, not mine) without ever saying simply why he won't.

She is one of many such Johnson fans I have as friends, and many of them are saying similar things. And that's his fanbase - so you can surely work out what the rest of the country thinks? Of course, The Torygraph (and Toby) sees it very differently.....
Last edited by Diamond Dog on 20 Mar 2020, 10:03, edited 1 time in total.
I still think almost everyone is wrong and I am right.
Post hoc, ergo propter hoc
As silver tears they weave and lace, Sad patterns upon her face

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 20 Mar 2020, 09:54

Bizarre. I didn’t see it last night but a non-fan said how impressive he was, “almost statesmanlike” was the comment.

Nowt so queer as folk and opinions.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 20 Mar 2020, 10:01

Lord Rother wrote:Bizarre. I didn’t see it last night but a non-fan said how impressive he was, “almost statesmanlike” was the comment.

Nowt so queer as folk and opinions.

In a way it's not a criticism, there is a time and a place for his kind of not interventionist, laissez faire light touch. However, this is not the time or the place... That said there is talk that we'll see the military on the streets of London...
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia

Postby The Prof » 20 Mar 2020, 10:15

He's spent his life lying, bullshitting and blustering through things that I simply question every word he says.

It will be over in 12 weeks if we all pull together.. really?

The country is lacking a leader and has a second rate after-dinner speaker

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 20 Mar 2020, 10:17

A Druid on being kept out of Stonehenge for the equinox commented “it’s ok, we have to make sacrifices.”

Poor choice of words!

“The Man”

Postby “The Man” » 20 Mar 2020, 12:29

Jesus, aren't we all a bit more grown up than "so what if you're friend says X, my-friend says Y".

Not forgetting, of course, the standard internet tropes of "there has been talk of..." (troops on the street apparently now being evidence of Johnson's laissez faire attitude...

The last 42 seconds of this 60-year old Twilight Zone episode sadly now seem more relevant than ever...

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 20 Mar 2020, 13:05

No, troops on the streets (blame Yomp for that one) would be evidence of Boris’ inconsistency.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 20 Mar 2020, 13:11

“The Man” wrote:Jesus, aren't we all a bit more grown up than "so what if you're friend says X, my-friend says Y".

Exactly. Come on everyone - we all know that sentence needs to read "YOUR friend."
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 20 Mar 2020, 14:05

USA will be closed down by Monday. National guard is being deployed around the country.

“The Man”

Postby “The Man” » 20 Mar 2020, 16:58

“The Man” wrote:
Jesus, aren't we all a bit more grown up than "so what if you're friend says X, my-friend says Y".

Minnie the Minx wrote:
Exactly. Come on everyone - we all know that sentence needs to read "YOUR friend."

It was a rhetorical question, M.

Thanks for posting an infantile comment that proved my point but there was really no need.

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 20 Mar 2020, 22:35

The Prof wrote:He's spent his life lying, bullshitting and blustering through things that I simply question every word he says.

It will be over in 12 weeks if we all pull together.. really?

The country is lacking a leader and has a second rate after-dinner speaker

You have no balance, just prejudice, as pretty much acknowledged in your opening sentence.

BJ is showing an unanticipated maturity and sensitivity in his approach to this crisis.

Anyway, no way anyone is going to change our opinions so pointless exchange I suppose.

Hasn’t he aged in the last couple of months though? (It always gets them, that job!)