Corona State of Mind

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Re: Corona State of Mind

Postby GoogaMooga » 14 Mar 2020, 19:53

I'm at risk, with diabetes type 2 and lymphedema, so I have spent most of the day getting used to the idea that I may not make it through this pandemic. It's a hard mental process, taking stock, resigning oneself. No use rushing through the best of the backlog; I wouldn't even be able to enjoy it if I am at death's door.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

The Fish
Beer Battered

Postby The Fish » 15 Mar 2020, 09:58

My employer has introduced a system where surnames A-M (which includes me) get to work from home all next week, with N-Z the week after. Presumably alternating in this fashion until further notice.
Quite happy about that.
We're way past rhubarb

Polishgirl

Postby Polishgirl » 15 Mar 2020, 22:43

I’m fortunate in that we started ‘agile working ‘ last autumn. It means, essentially, that we can choose to work from home, in the office, or from a couple of satellite locations. I’m not due to be in the office again now till the end of March. Given that Phil’s retired, we’re just going to hunker down at home now and stay out of it all as much as possible.

Our concern is for our parents, of course. My mum is pretty much self isolating from today, but my in-laws will not be told. Hopefully, with the rest of the family getting on their case as well, they’ll start to take some sensible precautions.....
echolalia wrote: I despise Prefab Sprout. It will be decades before “hot dog, jumping frog, Albuquerque” is surpassed as the most terrible lyric in pop history. That fucking bastard ruined all three things for me forever.

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 16 Mar 2020, 13:46

"Lockdown" isn't a technical term used by public health officials, but Italy, China, El Salvador, New Zealand, Poland, Ireland, Denmark, and France have implemented the world's largest and most restrictive mass quarantines. Expect others to follow. Word is USA will be under lockdown this week.

Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Postby Lord Rother » 16 Mar 2020, 19:59

At least something good for the world is going to come from this.

“The Trump Presidency is Over”

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archi ... aign=share

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 16 Mar 2020, 22:08

It's only Quarantine if it's in the Quarantine province of France. Otherwise it's just Sparkling Isolation.

not my joke, it's from the internet.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 17 Mar 2020, 09:29

The worst thing I’ve seen so far is the government’s advice to avoid pubs etc without telling them to close and thus making them ineligible for any insurance coverage - pretty despicable.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Six String

Postby Six String » 17 Mar 2020, 16:50

Yesterday the governer asked seniors to shelter in place. We left town for the coast instead. We had already planned this trip and it's only for three nights and the area is very remote with few people so we decided not to cancel. The beach will be deserted so good social distancing there.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 18 Mar 2020, 09:21

Feeling confused as to why Coronavirus is a bigger deal than Seasonal flu? Here it is in a nutshell. I hope this helps. Feel free to share this to others who don’t understand...

It has to do with RNA sequencing.... I.e. genetics.

Seasonal flu is an “all human virus”. The DNA/RNA chains that make up the virus are recognized by the human immune system. This means that your body has some immunity to it before it comes around each year... you get immunity two ways...through exposure to a virus, or by getting a flu shot.

Novel viruses, come from animals.... the WHO tracks novel viruses in animals, (sometimes for years watching for mutations). Usually these viruses only transfer from animal to animal (pigs in the case of H1N1) (birds in the case of the Spanish flu). But once, one of these animal viruses mutates, and starts to transfer from animals to humans... then it’s a problem, Why? Because we have no natural or acquired immunity.. the RNA sequencing of the genes inside the virus isn’t human, and the human immune system doesn’t recognize it so, we can’t fight it off.

Now.... sometimes, the mutation only allows transfer from animal to human, for years it’s only transmission is from an infected animal to a human before it finally mutates so that it can now transfer human to human... once that happens..we have a new contagion phase. And depending on the fashion of this new mutation, thats what decides how contagious, or how deadly it’s gonna be..

H1N1 was deadly....but it did not mutate in a way that was as deadly as the Spanish flu. It’s RNA was slower to mutate and it attacked its host differently, too.

Fast forward.

Now, here comes this Coronavirus... it existed in animals only, for nobody knows how long...but one day, at an animal market, in Wuhan China, in December 2019, it mutated and made the jump from animal to people. At first, only animals could give it to a person... But here is the scary part.... in just TWO WEEKS it mutated again and gained the ability to jump from human to human. Scientists call this quick ability, “slippery”

This Coronavirus, not being in any form a “human” virus (whereas we would all have some natural or acquired immunity). Took off like a rocket. And this was because, Humans have no known immunity...doctors have no known medicines for it.

And it just so happens that this particular mutated animal virus, changed itself in such a way the way that it causes great damage to human lungs..

That’s why Coronavirus is different from seasonal flu, or H1N1 or any other type of influenza.... this one is slippery AF. And it’s a lung eater...And, it’s already mutated AGAIN, so that we now have two strains to deal with, strain s, and strain L....which makes it twice as hard to develop a vaccine.

We really have no tools in our shed, with this. History has shown that fast and immediate closings of public places has helped in the past pandemics. Philadelphia and Baltimore were reluctant to close events in 1918 and they were the hardest hit in the US during the Spanish Flu.

Factoid: Henry VIII stayed in his room and allowed no one near him, till the Black Plague passed...(honestly...I understand him so much better now). Just like us, he had no tools in his shed, except social isolation...

And let me end by saying....right now it’s hitting older folks harder... but this genome is so slippery...if it mutates again (and it will). Who is to say, what it will do next.

Be smart folks... acting like you’re unafraid is so not sexy right now.
I still think almost everyone is wrong and I am right.
Post hoc, ergo propter hoc
As silver tears they weave and lace, Sad patterns upon her face

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 18 Mar 2020, 11:12

I am not comfortable with Garry posting on FB that he has severe flu-like symptoms, a sore throat for weeks and can't go to a hospital to get tested because the PM has told not to overflow the hospital and NHS-system.
What the actual fuck?
This is the reverse what people need to do....not avoid seeking help out of a sense of guilt.
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 18 Mar 2020, 23:51

I was in touch with my family today as my parents begin their - er - "quiet time." My sister's pending wedding is off. I was talking to her today and it was genuinely astonishing to hear how many people are still ramming into pubs. She said she drove past two or three today, pretty much packed. People trailing in and out of the gym.

It's a weird ghost town here. I took an early morning cycle to our local taco place today - all bars and restaurants are closed, with take out service only for the foreseeable future. I hope these places can survive. It'll take quite an effort. Otherwise, people are out walking their dogs and mowing lawns, but that's it. We had Mr and Mrs Jumper K here for only a few days as they had to cut their trip short and get the last plane to the UK out of the US for a while. So much of Austin works in the service industry - I am at a loss as to what they are going to do.

I'm getting some front line reports from pals working in the NHS which mainly discuss the unpredictability and speed of change of everything. To some extent, you can deal with dreadful stuff if it is predictable - but when things change so rapidly, it becomes surreal. I was overseeing a respiratory unit during H1N1 and that was grim, but predictably grim. This feels like a slippery customer.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 19 Mar 2020, 08:42

Minnie the Minx wrote:I was in touch with my family today as my parents begin their - er - "quiet time." My sister's pending wedding is off. I was talking to her today and it was genuinely astonishing to hear how many people are still ramming into pubs. She said she drove past two or three today, pretty much packed. People trailing in and out of the gym.

That's the bit that really grates with me. Whilst I fully accept that people should act responsibly, it is self evident (from the stockpiling) that some people simply can't help themselves and/or do not understand why they are acting irresponsibly. The only way to get people to self isolate and social distance is by regulation - make it law.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 19 Mar 2020, 09:18

It's a consequence of all the mixed messages we've been getting.
It's not even been made clear to people what it actually is

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 19 Mar 2020, 09:22

Diamond Dog wrote:. The only way to get people to self isolate and social distance is by regulation - make it law.

How can you do that when you can't get food deliveries? You can't expect people to stay in and starve.

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 19 Mar 2020, 09:27

The rugby league and Australian Rules Football-competitions are still going, although without spectators.
One idea being touted by the NRL is to seclude all teams up north and to let them continue to play the season in complete quarantine.

Shopping centres are open and there are more customers about in the early mornings, trying to be the first to get at all the replenished supermarkets.
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 19 Mar 2020, 09:51

The Modernist wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:. The only way to get people to self isolate and social distance is by regulation - make it law.

How can you do that when you can't get food deliveries? You can't expect people to stay in and starve.

How do you think we've ended up without food in shops?

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 19 Mar 2020, 09:57

Diamond Dog wrote:
The Modernist wrote:

How do you think we've ended up without food in shops?

Well we both know the answer to that, but we shouldn't assume that means all households therefore have enough food. There are many that don't.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 19 Mar 2020, 10:14

The Modernist wrote:

Yes, there are loads of issues with making laws banning social contact.

Firstly, some contact is unavoidable clearly.
Secondly, there's no way to enforce that law.
And thirdly it could cause just as many problems as it tries to solve.

However, I think there needs to be strong guidance - which has been lacking. In fact citizens have been taking the lead and government following a day or so behind.

I read this morning that it isn't Johnson's style to enact draconian laws but if that's what is holding him back it's making him look weak and utterly out of his depth.

They say 'cometh the hour, cometh the man' ... He isn't the man.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

“The Man”

Postby “The Man” » 19 Mar 2020, 12:20

Was very tempted to make some snide remark about the need for another JC with Easter around the corner but I think the current crisis is a bit too life and livelihood threatening for the usual pointless BCB political slanging match.

Given the speed with which this thing is taking root, whoever was in charge of the country right now was going to get accused of being in the wrong at this point.

Jesus, some Z-list celeb off Dancing with the Stars was dissing one of the country's leading authorities on virology on one of those post-breakfast news/chat shows just the other morning.

“The Man”

Postby “The Man” » 19 Mar 2020, 12:37

Diamond Dog wrote:
That's the bit that really grates with me. Whilst I fully accept that people should act responsibly, it is self evident (from the stockpiling) that some people simply can't help themselves and/or do not understand why they are acting irresponsibly. The only way to get people to self isolate and social distance is by regulation - make it law.

I really feel for the poor sods who are literally taking their lives in their hands every time they handle a bag of crisps or a handful of coins while working the tills in supermarkets. If they chucked in their jobs, we'd all be pretty well fucked.

As always chat to the ladies at the local Tesco check-out, have heard some real horror stories about the appalling attitude of some customers when asked to not to panic bulk buy and leave items for others. The lady who served me this a.m. told me one guy in his 40s had said he wasn't worried about the virus "because it's only old biddies like you who'll wind up dead". Hope he manages not to get his head kicked in before he falls prey to the even worse virus that'll surely be coming down the pike when he's my friend's age.