Corona kind of Life.

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Dr. Baron
Diamond Geezer

Re: Corona State of Mind

Postby Dr. Baron » 10 May 2020, 02:26

Wreckless Eric's got it, or something like it.

https://thedysfunctionalworldof.blogspo ... orona.html
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.
GoogaMooga wrote:It's a film I have waited 39 years to see. Now I have the chance, but I may just crap out.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 11 May 2020, 15:33

Reports from pals back home of a lost member of our old nursing team - not someone I knew well at all, but always had a smile in the morning holding his cup of tea.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Dr. Baron
Diamond Geezer

Postby Dr. Baron » 15 May 2020, 14:31

I wonder about snarfyguy. I seem to remember that they bailed out of the city. I hope they are all ok.
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.
GoogaMooga wrote:It's a film I have waited 39 years to see. Now I have the chance, but I may just crap out.

The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia

Postby The Prof » 15 May 2020, 18:25

I’m wondering what the point of these daily press briefings is.

Sometimes journalists ask incisive and precise questions but all Raab and Hancock seem to hear is “waffle a bit about schools”, “waffle about care homes”, exaggerate about what the government has supposedly done and say you are being very clear about things you are waffling about.

Repeat daily.

souphound
World Class Ignoramus

Postby souphound » 15 May 2020, 18:35

We get at least three daily ones here (Not even counting US-based ones). We get municipal, provincial and federal. All of them bilingual. If you're watching a French language station and they switch to English, usually just to repeat what was just said, the voiceover kicks in and that drives me nuts, being fully bilingual myself. I can hear both, slightly off-timed. Arrrrgggghhhh!
Footy wrote:Last week, I discovered that the cordless drill I bought about 5 years ago is, in fact, a cordless screwdiver.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 20 May 2020, 15:15

I’m back in the office today - by choice, we could have worked from home for ages, but my office is more than capable of facilitating social distancing. One of my other colleagues is in an office 30ft away and as he’s a doctor, we are both pretty confident in both our abilities to manage this safely.

Meanwhile back in the UK one of my old colleagues who died of covid was buried today. It was strange seeing so many familiar faces together in one place for such a sad event.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Livet
'progressively malty'

Postby Livet » 20 May 2020, 16:44

Minnie the Minx wrote:I’m back in the office today - by choice, we could have worked from home for ages, but my office is more than capable of facilitating social distancing. One of my other colleagues is in an office 30ft away and as he’s a doctor, we are both pretty confident in both our abilities to manage this safely.

Meanwhile back in the UK one of my old colleagues who died of covid was buried today. It was strange seeing so many familiar faces together in one place for such a sad event.

Sorry for your loss.

I'm glad you're able to be back at work. I know you mentioned you like to keep work and home separate which I can understand. I, on the other hand, am so dreading commuting, that I'll probably work from home until they tell me to go in, and then I'll retire.
The crazy music drives you insane

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 20 May 2020, 18:17

To be honest, it’s the hospital’s loss. I really didn’t know them well at all, only that I saw them nearly every day and knew they were reliable, kind and devoted as their manager loved them as did the patients.

Rita, if I had your commute at the moment I would retire too. Bollocks to that!

Dr Markus wrote:

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 22 May 2020, 13:29

Weeks ago I was listening to a Swedish professor of public health being interviewed on Radio 4. She was appalled at the plans Sweden had for dealing with the virus and said it was going to be a shitshow. She was totally right.

Dr Markus wrote:

northernsky

Postby northernsky » 22 May 2020, 20:41

Minnie the Minx wrote:Weeks ago I was listening to a Swedish professor of public health being interviewed on Radio 4. She was appalled at the plans Sweden had for dealing with the virus and said it was going to be a shitshow. She was totally right.

No, It’s not quite that bad really.

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 23 May 2020, 12:43

northernsky wrote:
Minnie the Minx wrote:Weeks ago I was listening to a Swedish professor of public health being interviewed on Radio 4. She was appalled at the plans Sweden had for dealing with the virus and said it was going to be a shitshow. She was totally right.

No, It’s not quite that bad really.

far worse than Norway
Dancing in the streets of Hyannis

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

Samoan

Re: Corona kind of Life.

Postby Samoan » 13 Oct 2020, 18:03

I hadn't been to my Optometrist for about 5 years although I should have, for regular pressure checks, as I'd been happy with my readers. He lives locally and posted on my neighbourhood message board when the lockdown was eased, that he could see patients again.
It would have been foolish not to go at my age, I thought, (plus the exam is now free) to go through all This and hopefully come out the other side but visually impaired or en route to blindness if any of the three age-related eye conditions aren't picked up, especially glaucoma which I believe can be easily treated if diagnosed with daily drops - plus any neurological nasties that might be lurking.

Those of you who wear specs know how incredibly up close and personal an eye exam is and I was very apprehensive but I had to do it and before the next lockdown. He's highly regarded, partly Moorfields Hospital trained and worked there one day a week before Covid. However the facial PPE we now see on dentists simply Does Not work for optometrists. Everything steams up with the masks on and both parties are eye to eye in terms of close facial proximity for a short period of the exam.

Anyway, that was 3 weeks ago, all good, glaucoma pressures were fine although I was knocked for six when he told me I'm ever so slightly starting to develop cataracts.
Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

Minnie the Minx wrote: I do wonder where everyone is getting very small cardigans from.

kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos

Postby kath » 13 Oct 2020, 19:09

Samoan wrote:I hadn't been to my Optometrist for about 5 years although I should have, for regular pressure checks, as I'd been happy with my readers. He lives locally and posted on my neighbourhood message board when the lockdown was eased, that he could see patients again.
It would have been foolish not to go at my age, I thought, (plus the exam is now free) to go through all This and hopefully come out the other side but visually impaired or en route to blindness if any of the three age-related eye conditions aren't picked up, especially glaucoma which I believe can be easily treated if diagnosed with daily drops - plus any neurological nasties that might be lurking.

Those of you who wear specs know how incredibly up close and personal an eye exam is and I was very apprehensive but I had to do it and before the next lockdown. He's highly regarded, partly Moorfields Hospital trained and worked there one day a week before Covid. However the facial PPE we now see on dentists simply Does Not work for optometrists. Everything steams up with the masks on and both parties are eye to eye in terms of close facial proximity for a short period of the exam.

Anyway, that was 3 weeks ago, all good, glaucoma pressures were fine although I was knocked for six when he told me I'm ever so slightly starting to develop cataracts.

i'm glad all is good. it is scary.

i've actually had to see my dentist twice, follow-up to oral surgery. what you describe for dentists is the case here. he was beyond decked out. like a hazmat suit, then a mask, then a face shield over the mask. he's a great dentist, very careful and sweet (now i see him in the grocery store all the time for some strange reason)... but the appointments themselves? i can't hear a gotdamn word he's saying. he keeps tryin to give me instruction thru all those layers on his face, and i'm like, "what? huh? could you just act it out, man?"

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 26 Oct 2020, 19:48

Tonight I'll be watching the new normal (god, I hate that expression) socially distanced 2020 University Challenge.
I watched it last Monday and all 4 of the two teams are separated from each of the other 4 by plexiglass screens. They have ear pieces so that the 4 of each team can confer on sticky questions. Lots of frantic body language and gesticulation going on.
Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

Minnie the Minx wrote: I do wonder where everyone is getting very small cardigans from.

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 02 Nov 2020, 14:51

I thought this might be the case this Sunday -

Every year, the Legion calls on the nation to unite in commemorating Remembrance Sunday.

Owing to the COVID-19 pandemic and in light of the risks posed, the annual Remembrance Sunday March Past the Cenotaph will not take place this year.

We recognise this will be deeply disappointing for all who were due to take part and it is not a step that has been taken lightly.
This decision has been taken by the Government based on expert advice to protect the health and well-being of those who would have been travelling to and participating in the event.

The Government led Remembrance Service at the Cenotaph will continue to go ahead as a closed ceremony.

Six String

Postby Six String » 14 Nov 2020, 22:24

Amitabh Chandra, a health economist at Harvard stated in the NYT...
“He estimates that the coronavirus crisis has cost the United States at least $16 trillion in terms of lost lives, lost quality of life, and lost economic activity.” :shock: I knew it would be a lot but damn!