Corona kind of Life.

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Hightea

Re: Corona State of Mind

Postby Hightea » 24 Apr 2020, 13:39

Minnie the Minx wrote:I'm not sure if you are able to get past the paywall from this link:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2 ... ood-clots/

This is an "interesting" turn, for want of a better word, about some medical issues that are arising from the disease. I have been emailing pals in the UK who have confirmed it is also part of the UK picture. It almost seems like DIC but not quite. This may account for some of the drastic and sudden deteriorations.

yikes hadn't seen anything about blood clotting issues. This is another scary scenario.

Neige
Alpine Numpty
Location: On 2 oz of plastic with a hole in the middle (of nowhere)

Postby Neige » 27 Apr 2020, 09:49

Yeah... that is frightening!

It's horrible that we still know so little about the whole thing. The reports about the lack of immunity in recovered patients really scares me too.
Thumpety-thump beats plinkety-plonk every time. - Rayge

Rorschach

Postby Rorschach » 27 Apr 2020, 11:45

Neige wrote: The reports about the lack of immunity in recovered patients really scares me too.

God, yes! I'm sure many of us held out the hope that, failing the sudden appearance of a vaccine, we'd get it, recover and go back to normal.
Bugger off.

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 27 Apr 2020, 12:29

The 2 metre distancing is just not happening.

Here's a comment from my neighbourhood message board ((which has been enormously beneficial, informative, and supportive to all throughout))
Specific names, except to say that it's Inner London, concealed or withheld.

" Perhaps slightly off topic but for me, as a "key worker", it is the walk to and from Xyz tube that has become essentially a "running the gauntlet" situation - especially the section from Xyz Road to the station. It's particularly bad during the daytime which, unfortunately, is when I am often going to or returning from work. I am constantly having to step into the road because people will not fall into single file to pass, or because they are grouped outside shops chatting, or because they clearly have no interest in exactly how long two metres is.

I fear that as the lockdown - or the "mockdown", as I prefer to call it - gets relaxed this situation is going to become hellish."
Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

Minnie the Minx wrote: I do wonder where everyone is getting very small cardigans from.

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 27 Apr 2020, 12:46

Neige wrote:.....

It's horrible that we still know so little about the whole thing. The reports about the lack of immunity in recovered patients really scares me too.

PM of NZ Jacinda Ardern appears to be prematurely misinformed and misinforming..

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-52436658
Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

Minnie the Minx wrote: I do wonder where everyone is getting very small cardigans from.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 27 Apr 2020, 15:37

I'm surprised at the non - adherence described above. I have to say that in Austin, my experience has been that people are being incrediby observant of what they are told.

Back to the clotting issue - there were more articles in the New Yorker this week, written by ER medics. The amount of stories of young people who are a little breathless but otherwise seem healthy who are suddenly found collapsed and pulseless in ER lavatories- an absolute classic pulmonary embolus scenario - is absolutely astonishing.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 27 Apr 2020, 16:22

Minnie the Minx wrote:I'm surprised at the non - adherence described above. I have to say that in Austin, my experience has been that people are being incrediby observant of what they are told.

That's been my experience too. I disagree people aren't adhering to it, at least from what I've observed. It'd be interesting to know where the above example is referring to.

Rorschach

Postby Rorschach » 27 Apr 2020, 18:41

The Modernist wrote:
Minnie the Minx wrote:I'm surprised at the non - adherence described above. I have to say that in Austin, my experience has been that people are being incrediby observant of what they are told.

That's been my experience too. I disagree people aren't adhering to it, at least from what I've observed. It'd be interesting to know where the above example is referring to.

People are pretty good about it here too. One day I saw a group of four young adults standing around, chatting and drinking cans of beer and a bit further on two groups of four women each walking along the road (I suspect they were leaving work together) but those are the 'worst' cases I've seen.

We're going to be allowed out for an hour's exercise from this coming weekend and I expect things to slacken off a lot then. We've had a pretty sever lockdown in Spain, and for a bit longer than you lot. I think people are really itching to get out there.
Bugger off.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 28 Apr 2020, 05:10

Samoan wrote:
Neige wrote:.....

PM of NZ Jacinda Ardern appears to be prematurely misinformed and misinforming..

I don't think she is at all. She merely states that they have stopped community transmission. Which they have - as far as all known science suggests. At no point does she say they've won the battle and it's all over. Indeed, she states she is trying to reopen the economy but not stopping social distancing etc.
I have put the ignorant, inflammatory bore on ignore.

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 28 Apr 2020, 11:51

Just cancelled our holiday in Fuerteventura in November. Not sure about safe distancing working on planes with the air con and also the fact that all the meals are self service once we get there. Had only paid the initial deposit, also didn't fancy paying the full amount end of August to then have it cancelled and be offered a credit note rather than our money back as a matter of course.
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Sam Stone

Postby Sam Stone » 28 Apr 2020, 11:55

Samoan wrote:The 2 metre distancing is just not happening.

Here's a comment from my neighbourhood message board ((which has been enormously beneficial, informative, and supportive to all throughout))
Specific names, except to say that it's Inner London, concealed or withheld.

" Perhaps slightly off topic but for me, as a "key worker", it is the walk to and from Xyz tube that has become essentially a "running the gauntlet" situation - especially the section from Xyz Road to the station. It's particularly bad during the daytime which, unfortunately, is when I am often going to or returning from work. I am constantly having to step into the road because people will not fall into single file to pass, or because they are grouped outside shops chatting, or because they clearly have no interest in exactly how long two metres is.

I fear that as the lockdown - or the "mockdown", as I prefer to call it - gets relaxed this situation is going to become hellish."

Nonsense.

On the basis of hearsay you're rubbishing lockdown and social distancing policies that have been credited with causing the R infection rate to decline from around 3 (new cases per person infected) when implemented to something like just 0.7 as of now.

Sam Stone

Postby Sam Stone » 28 Apr 2020, 12:05

Samoan wrote:

Do you ever bother reading the articles you post, Samoan?

If you had, you'd have found that far from being misled or misleading people, Ardern and her government has been pretty clear about what they've achieved and in stressing what Kiwis need to do to keep it that way.

With new cases in single figures for several days - one on Sunday - Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern said the virus was "currently" eliminated.
But officials have warned against complacency, saying it does not mean a total end to new coronavirus cases…

New Zealand's Director-General of Health, Ashley Bloomfield, said the low number of new cases in recent days "does give us confidence that we have achieved our goal of elimination".

He warned that "elimination" did not mean there would be no new cases "but it does mean we know where our cases are coming from".
Ms Ardern said there was "no widespread undetected community transmission in New Zealand", adding: "We have won that battle."
But she said the country "must remain vigilant if we are to keep it that way".

The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia

Postby The Prof » 28 Apr 2020, 13:52

I don't think the feeling of Running the Gauntlet is unique to anywhere. It's especially true in Supermarkets. Even though the markers are on the floor people have to pass close to each other in the aisles.
As a side-note it would probably be useful if the government laid down guidelines as to which pavement on which side of the road to walk on.
It would then stop all this zig-zagging about crossing the road, trying to avoid anybody else.

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 29 Apr 2020, 16:34

New Facemasks delivered today and top-uped hand sanitizers. Phew Rock n Roll.
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 29 Apr 2020, 19:58

I was reading last night about the horrendous tale of the New York ER medical director who committed suicide recently, unable to cope any longer. Her Dad, also a doctor, said the light had gone out in her eyes. I can't imagine what people are dealing with, like something out of War of the Worlds.
I had talked to Baron semi-seriously about the idea of me volunteering to go to NY to work for a while. It seems almost wrong to have extensive infection control and respiratory medicine training and experience and not go out and do something. Then I read this below and had to wonder if I had the mental capacity to deal with this onslaught. I like to think I do- god knows I've seen some stuff- but I really don't know.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/28/nyre ... Position=4

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 29 Apr 2020, 20:26

:( That's quite a read
Nikki Gradual wrote:
Get a fucking grip you narcissistic cretins.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 29 Apr 2020, 20:38

I know. It certainly gave me pause.

Dr Markus wrote:

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 04 May 2020, 15:27

Once again the New Yorker's articles are stellar. I have been listening to what has been happening in the UK and the US most attentively for obvious reasons, but I have to say that this information on the crawling pace of response from NY initially was news to me.

Wonderfully written, but ghastly in equal measure. I remember the worst thing about reading "And The Band Played On" was the way it was punctuated with missed opportunities. This article is similar. Worth your time.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2020 ... ks-did-not

Dr Markus wrote:

Six String

Postby Six String » 05 May 2020, 01:51

Minnie the Minx wrote:Once again the New Yorker's articles are stellar. I have been listening to what has been happening in the UK and the US most attentively for obvious reasons, but I have to say that this information on the crawling pace of response from NY initially was news to me.

Wonderfully written, but ghastly in equal measure. I remember the worst thing about reading "And The Band Played On" was the way it was punctuated with missed opportunities. This article is similar. Worth your time.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2020 ... ks-did-not

That was a good read. Thanks for posting.

Dr. Baron
Diamond Geezer

Postby Dr. Baron » 05 May 2020, 13:07

I have always chafed at the idea (in America, probably elsewhere) of "The Greatest Generation," the people who got us through WWII and into post war prosperity. Why was there a reason to believe that anyone else wouldn't have done the same thing? Apart from issues of general attitudes and influences of pop culture, generational comparisons have never made much sense. And so I have to wonder, have we gone soft, or are we so far through the looking glass of partisan politics that up truly is down etc.? The same people protesting would be meting out mob justice if we faced an invasion from a foreign army that did not seek conquest, but only to kill (at a minimum) the equivalent of a few 9/11's and the Vietnam war and people weren't adhering to the (actually comically minimal) defensive measures that civilians had to undertake to minimize casualties. And then there's the people crowding the beaches and lakes that are open. What are they thinking? It's increasingly infuriating and mind boggling. And it looks like similar things are happening in Britain (without the "Don't Tread On Me" nonsense). It's now an open question for me whether anyone really has the right stuff anymore.
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.
GoogaMooga wrote:It's a film I have waited 39 years to see. Now I have the chance, but I may just crap out.