Corona State of Mind

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Re: Corona State of Mind

Postby Copehead » 26 Mar 2020, 18:36

After the, all too obviously coming, largest increase so far today, following after yesterdays undercounting, I am going for unbelievable incompetence rather than sociopathic malevolence as the driving force behind yesterdays figure wrangling.

They seem completely out of their depth and unaware that fuck ups like these end up with real people dying unnecessarily, not just numbers.

And not all of these people will be the sort of fuckwits that read and believe the Daily Mail, those people will infected some of the normal amongst us.
I'm Jay Z on a bad day, Shakespeare on my worst days

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 26 Mar 2020, 18:39

Belle Lettre wrote:This what you mean?

Chris Smyth
(@Smyth_Chris)
Death figures update: last night only 28 new fatalities recorded.

Alas this is not good news, it is because there are now so many deaths NHS using a 7.30am cut off instead of 1pm.

So govt looking at changing how they are reported 1/2

March 26, 2020

That's it Belle.

They seem blithely unaware that not making this crystal clear ahead of time will have real world consequences which will almost certainly be a few more deaths that could have been avoided through competent governance.

I lead to the usual right wing suspects crowing about turning corners and beating the virus and that will no doubt have an inevitable effect down the line of a few more poor souls dying.

Sadly at a time like this we needed grown ups with gravitas and intelligence in charge and instead we got the clown show.

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 26 Mar 2020, 18:47

Also today it turns out we didn't join in the combined EU procurement of essentials like testing kits and ventilators because we overlooked the email that was sent to the UK government and missed the sign up date.

We didn't decide to go it alone the government fucked it all up again and were left with no choice.

And morons think this is competent government.

Still with £500 billion spending announced this week it seems that the the Tories have found the Magic Money Tree Forest long thought to be a fable told my Labour politicians

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 26 Mar 2020, 19:00

They also managed to ignore an offer from a ventilator supplier in favour of the bollocks of getting (party bankrolllers) Dyson and Lord Bamford to make them.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Rorschach

Postby Rorschach » 26 Mar 2020, 19:39

Well, we can all relax now. The numbers have shot up again.

This from the Guardian:

UK records biggest daily rise in deaths

The number of people who have died from coronavirus in UK hospitals has risen by 115 in a single day to 578, as of 5pm on Thursday. It is the biggest daily rise in deaths across the country since the outbreak began.

So, whether yesterday’s numbers were manipulation, a screw up or just an outlier, they have once again regressed to the mean.

I haven’t posted a link because it’s from a live blog.
Bugger off.

Sam Stone

Postby Sam Stone » 26 Mar 2020, 20:35

Interesting how a post of a tweet that bears barely any relation to the nonsense you were spouting a couple of hours earlier "proves" what you were saying!

Why not break the habit of a lifetime and just post the twitter feeds you were thanking god for and be done with it?

Is it just me or has anyone else here noticed that the only source Copehead cites when asked to justify one of his more fantastical, spittle-flecked utterances is the - oh, the irony - Daily Mail?

Given the way the world is going, your and Jimbo's cynical exploiting of this appalling pandemic as a means of advancing your warped worldview(s) is truly sickening.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 26 Mar 2020, 21:20

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52056534

And I quote :

"Thursday saw a change in the way NHS England and the Department of Health are reporting deaths.

The latest figures are for a 24-hour period, but Wednesday's were not - they were only for eight hours - from 0900 to 1700 on Tuesday 24 March.

Thursday's figures are for a full 24-hour period, from 1700 on Tuesday 24 March to 1700 on Wednesday 25 March.

So Wednesday's rise of 28 reported deaths and the 107 reported deaths on Thursday cannot be directly compared."
So I got several cans of Pringles.But what they don't fucking tell you..is that the primary ingredient is something called "olean" which I have since learned is Latin for "Unwashable & Indestructible Ass Grease."

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 27 Mar 2020, 09:41

Diamond Dog wrote:https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52056534

And I quote :

"Thursday saw a change in the way NHS England and the Department of Health are reporting deaths.

The latest figures are for a 24-hour period, but Wednesday's were not - they were only for eight hours - from 0900 to 1700 on Tuesday 24 March.

Thursday's figures are for a full 24-hour period, from 1700 on Tuesday 24 March to 1700 on Wednesday 25 March.

So Wednesday's rise of 28 reported deaths and the 107 reported deaths on Thursday cannot be directly compared."

The idea that this wasn't worth stating ahead of schedule so as to avoid the stupid headlines in the right wing tabloids beggars belief and shows a government that is not planning but just reacting to events

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 27 Mar 2020, 09:43

Deebank wrote:They also managed to ignore an offer from a ventilator supplier in favour of the bollocks of getting (party bankrolllers) Dyson and Lord Bamford to make them.

one wonders how many months after the end of the crisis the first of their ventilators will make it to a hospital; Dyson has no manufacturing facilities in the UK and JCB make heavy machinery; there are actually ventilator manufacturers in the UK who appear to be being ignored because they do not make a big headline

Once again playing politics with peoples lives at stake.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 27 Mar 2020, 10:02

Copehead wrote:
Deebank wrote:They also managed to ignore an offer from a ventilator supplier in favour of the bollocks of getting (party bankrolllers) Dyson and Lord Bamford to make them.

one wonders how many months after the end of the crisis the first of their ventilators will make it to a hospital; Dyson has no manufacturing facilities in the UK and JCB make heavy machinery; there are actually ventilator manufacturers in the UK who appear to be being ignored because they do not make a big headline

Once again playing politics with peoples lives at stake.

I've been round JCB's factories in Uttoxeter loads of times and the thing about that sort of mass production is the machines and tools are specific for the product (diggers for the most part) - I suppose in this day and age you could 3D print ventilators, but it woukd take forever. I know for a fact JCB's R&D do have some 3D printers but they are not the answer.

JCB have not put out any press about this - and they are usually the first to publicise anything. Boris probably thought Lord Bamford would help him out without really thinking it through.

I would imagine Dyson is even less well equipped - they only do R&D in the UK now.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Rorschach

Postby Rorschach » 27 Mar 2020, 10:28

And I quote :

In other words, Copehead was exactly correct.
Bugger off.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 27 Mar 2020, 11:20

Rorschach wrote:

And I quote :

Yes. I'm sure the apologies are being written as I type.
So I got several cans of Pringles.But what they don't fucking tell you..is that the primary ingredient is something called "olean" which I have since learned is Latin for "Unwashable & Indestructible Ass Grease."

The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia

Postby The Prof » 27 Mar 2020, 11:21

Johnson tests positive

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 27 Mar 2020, 11:26

Rorschach wrote:

And I quote :

Words we don't often hear!

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 27 Mar 2020, 11:30

The Prof wrote:Johnson tests positive

Queue media meltdown!

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 27 Mar 2020, 11:35

Deebank wrote:
The Prof wrote:Johnson tests positive

Queue media meltdown!

He's self isolating. Surely the Cabinet has too as well?

Sam Stone

Postby Sam Stone » 27 Mar 2020, 11:45

Diamond Dog wrote:
Rorschach wrote:

And I quote :

Yes. I'm sure the apologies are being written as I type.

"Exactly correct" about what?

Nowhere does the above tweet say anything about Copehead's claims concerning...

...the govt's having to get clearance from CoVId victims' families before they could include their deaths in the daily number of deaths

...Jimbo alert! - an orchestrated cover up in the MSM

... how a one-day change in reporting the number of deaths was going to cause even more deaths

So, sorry, no apologies from me.

Nor given the shamefully cynical way various posters here are hijacked the coronavirus pandemic for their political ends, will there be any further involvement on this thread from me.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 27 Mar 2020, 11:51

“The Man” wrote:
Nowhere does the above tweet say anything about Copehead's claims concerning...

...the govt's having to get clearance from CoVId victims' families before they could include their deaths in the daily number of deaths

...Jimbo alert! - an orchestrated cover up in the MSM

... how a one-day change in reporting the number of deaths was going to cause even more deaths

That was on the national news yesterday.
The issue being with the amount of info (age of victim in particular) given out to the media.
I suppose the thought was that unscrupulous reporters might be able to identify individual victims from their age and hassle their families without consent.

Seems a stretch tho.

The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia

Postby The Prof » 27 Mar 2020, 11:58

Best wishes Deebank, BTW.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 27 Mar 2020, 12:15

The Prof wrote:Best wishes Deebank, BTW.

Cheers dude. I'm keeping my head down and not touching anything...