:)

A new low
Heyyyy!

"Fonz clearly has no fucks to give. I like the cut of his Cupicidal gib."

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Re: Corona State of Mind

Postby Minnie the Minx » 25 Mar 2020, 13:25

The Prof wrote:It's certainly bringing out the best and worst in people.

Yes!

The best:

People being outrageously nice to each other when out "social distancing." Last night I sat on our front lawn with a can of cider after tea and there were people walking and cycling past who all stopped, waved, said hello, how are you doing? This is in Austin, which is generally friendly as shit anyway, but there is a definite and deliberate intent to be even friendlier.

Watching parents taking their kids on nature walks during the day and seeing those kids genuinely filled with excitement at being with their parents during the week and going out to count butterflies.

An increase in Facetime/Skype time with family, friends back in the UK. I've already talked more to my parents than I usually do and it has been really lovely.

An almost intentional disappearance of identity politics nonsense from (especially) The Guardian. A distinct absence of frowning women in turtlenecks hovering over the dazzling thoughtpiece headline: "Women aren't very at gambling. Why should we care?" Although the other day "Rain Dove" took the opportunity to say a thank you to all the people delaying their gender reassignment surgery to allow beds to go to sick coronavirus patients. Rain Dove wanted to let them know that they were brave and beautiful. I spat my Weetabix high, high into the air.

My migas game has got pretty fabulous.

The worst:

People (some of them, people I like, but many complete strangers also) describing the coronavirus as either "Mother Nature" or "Planet Earth's revenge" on humans, acting out a pre-planned assault on the population for being unkind to animals and polluting the seas. Often these posts are accompanied by pictures of trees with sunsets and mystical font. MOTHER NATURE HAS HAD ENOUGH. WE MUST LISTEN. Oh God. Aaaaagh

The joy shown by THE INTERNETZ at Harvey Weinstein testing positive for coronavirus. Often- very often - by the same people who who have posted daily thoughts on the government's attitude to elderly people contracting the virus. I've read posts of people imagining how Weinstein would die. Well, maybe he will! But only after he has infected a shit ton of other people, including prisoners, you tit, and don't wail at me about the government not caring who dies. Nor do you, oh selector of "good" candidates to get coronavirus and "bad" candidates based on your own sliding scale of worthiness. Fucking morons.

As above, but insert Prince Charles name there too.

Anyway, back to work, la dee da!
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Rorschach

Postby Rorschach » 25 Mar 2020, 13:27

Copehead wrote:In Happier news:
UK coronavirus live: Prince Charles tests positive for Covid-19

Doesn't look like he's given it to Prince Pedophile though.
Which is a shame.
Bugger off.

Rorschach

Postby Rorschach » 25 Mar 2020, 13:35

Still, excellent opportunity for him to show that homeopathy works.
Bugger off.

Rorschach

Postby Rorschach » 25 Mar 2020, 13:54

Minnie the Minx wrote:
The joy shown by THE INTERNETZ at Harvey Weinstein testing positive for coronavirus. Often- very often - by the same people who who have posted daily thoughts on the government's attitude to elderly people contracting the virus. I've read posts of people imagining how Weinstein would die. Well, maybe he will! But only after he has infected a shit ton of other people, including prisoners, you tit, and don't wail at me about the government not caring who dies. Nor do you, oh selector of "good" candidates to get coronavirus and "bad" candidates based on your own sliding scale of worthiness. Fucking morons.

I don't have any strong desire to see Harvey Weinstein die of coronavirus but I really can't agree with you on this.

1) The bit about infecting other prisoners is a red herring because what people are talking about is essentially a fantasy. They're not thinking about the true circumstances, just revelling in the fantasy that someone they hate is going to die. I imagine, in most cases, if you asked them if they still wanted it to happen if it meant that X number of other people caught it, then they would say, 'No.' If they didn't, then you would have a point.

2) You don't have 'your own sliding scale of worthiness'? You don't have a sense that some people are 'better' than others, to the point that some people, well, the world would be better off without them?
Fair play to you if this is the case, though I don't see anything particularly admirable (or bad) about that. But I think it's an unusual way to be. I reckon most people have an idea of what they think is right and wrong and take a dim view of people at the extreme, lower end of that spectrum.
I certainly do, which apparently makes me a fucking moron.

Harsh.
Bugger off.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 25 Mar 2020, 14:04

I most certainly do have a sliding scale of worthiness.

However, I don't think that currently doing a jig of joy because Charles or Weinstein has the virus (potentially infecting health care workers, workers, prisoners) showers anyone in glory. In particular the self same people who have been melting down about the remarks made about the UK elderly.

Nobody thinks it is a "fantasy" - the spread of the virus is PRETTY WELL ESTABLISHED yes? This isn't a hypothetical situation. Cheering on another link in the chain.

I'm acutely aware of how it is to care for patients during outbreaks. I'd like the chain broken please.

Not harsh at all. Not harsh enough, actually.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 25 Mar 2020, 14:16

Marina Hyde's column is on the money (it generally is) especially this:

Anyone who thinks “this is not the time for questions” might note that it was only when the questions rose to fever-pitch over the past few days that Johnson looked nudged to act. Those questions, often from ordinary citizens, were born of true concern and a true sense of duty – on which the government does not have a monopoly. There will be more questions like them in the weeks and months ahead, and anyone trying to tell you they shouldn’t be asked is a grifter. There is more than one way to love your country – and no member of the public should ever surrender the right to question what is in the public interest.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/mar/24/johnson-fight-them-on-the-beaches-churchill-address
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 25 Mar 2020, 14:49

More evidence of Boris Johnson doing a great job:

The UK is not participating in EU procurement schemes to buy ventilators, protective gear for hospital staff or coronavirus testing kit.
Confirmed by UK and EU sources.

--Jennifer Rankin
@JenniferMerode

Still politics above lives for the Tories.
The Tories have the fucking nerve to say the Coronavirus shouldn't be politicised.

(From Guardian Live Blog)
I'm Jay Z on a bad day, Shakespeare on my worst days

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Postby Lord Rother » 25 Mar 2020, 17:08

Copehead wrote:
Lord Rother wrote:
The Prof wrote:He's spent his life lying, bullshitting and blustering through things that I simply question every word he says.

It will be over in 12 weeks if we all pull together.. really?

The country is lacking a leader and has a second rate after-dinner speaker

You have no balance, just prejudice, as pretty much acknowledged in your opening sentence.

BJ is showing an unanticipated maturity and sensitivity in his approach to this crisis.

Anyway, no way anyone is going to change our opinions so pointless exchange I suppose.

Hasn’t he aged in the last couple of months though? (It always gets them, that job!)
:lol:

Now seems to be time for the 50,000 extra nurses, 10,000 extra Doctors, 40 new hospitals and 350m £ a week extra for the NHS.

Pity they were just lies to fool idiots

He isn't leading in the crisis he is being dragged to each decision by public opinion and other leaders forcing him - Macron threatening to close UK access to Europe unless he got a grip.

The man is hopelessly out of his depth and is about to start a cull of his natural voters - the over 70s and the stupid - unprecedented in modern history through his ineptitude.

I bet half your family could die and you'd still be singing his praises :lol:

Meanwhile why have the shelves been stripped bare of flour ? Do these morons suddenly think they are all going to bake bread for the first time ever like some nascent Paul Hollywood?

The stupidity of the Rothers of this world never fails to deliver.

At last, dug you out of hiding!

Thought you’d get over your shame and embarrassment in the end.

Welcome back! :lol:

Seriously though, it really is quite surprising how many previously anti Boris people are very impressed with his leadership and gravitas in this crisis. Obviously they are all complete cretins like me but you need to accept it as the truth because it really is happening out there.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 25 Mar 2020, 17:22

More than offset by the amount of Johnsonites who are seeing him in his true light the past ten days or so - and are more than happy to say so.
I still think almost everyone is wrong and I am right.
Post hoc, ergo propter hoc
As silver tears they weave and lace, Sad patterns upon her face

Rorschach

Postby Rorschach » 25 Mar 2020, 17:26

I wrote:...which apparently makes me a fucking moron.

Harsh.

Minnie the Minx wrote:
Not harsh at all. Not harsh enough, actually.

OK. So 'fucking moron' isn't harsh enough for me. I don't agree. It seems a bit strong for someone who just looks at things differently from you but I guess that's just your opinion.
Just out of curiosity, where do I fit in your sliding scale?
And where do the people I wish harm on (e.g. Prince Andrew) fit?
And how harsh are your words for them?
Bugger off.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 25 Mar 2020, 18:29

Lord Rother wrote:Seriously though, it really is quite surprising how many previously anti Boris people are very impressed with his leadership and gravitas in this crisis. Obviously they are all complete cretins like me but you need to accept it as the truth because it really is happening out there.

I don't doubt you are absolutely right.
Which makes me wonder exactly how far he'd have to fuck up before his fans would start to doubt him?

While I would admit we are in largely uncharted water, the government has still been spectacularly inept.
Their approach led by Johnson/Cummings has veered from the half-arsed to the full on but utterly chaotic and disjointed.
Their communications strategy has been risible. With zero leadership from the top, the public has dragged them into the current lockdown.

Medical professionals are having to buy PPE from Wikes!

Freelancers/sole traders like me still have no guidance on whether we can expect any money to come (to be fair I haven't checked whether this last issue has been addressed),

But the most unforgiveable crime has to be their complacency ("If a few OAPs die, so be it") early on.

Dismal.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Six String

Postby Six String » 25 Mar 2020, 19:04

Minnie the Minx wrote:
The Prof wrote:It's certainly bringing out the best and worst in people.

Yes!

The best:

People being outrageously nice to each other when out "social distancing." Last night I sat on our front lawn with a can of cider after tea and there were people walking and cycling past who all stopped, waved, said hello, how are you doing? This is in Austin, which is generally friendly as shit anyway, but there is a definite and deliberate intent to be even friendlier.

Watching parents taking their kids on nature walks during the day and seeing those kids genuinely filled with excitement at being with their parents during the week and going out to count butterflies.

An increase in Facetime/Skype time with family, friends back in the UK. I've already talked more to my parents than I usually do and it has been really lovely.

An almost intentional disappearance of identity politics nonsense from (especially) The Guardian. A distinct absence of frowning women in turtlenecks hovering over the dazzling thoughtpiece headline: "Women aren't very at gambling. Why should we care?" Although the other day "Rain Dove" took the opportunity to say a thank you to all the people delaying their gender reassignment surgery to allow beds to go to sick coronavirus patients. Rain Dove wanted to let them know that they were brave and beautiful. I spat my Weetabix high, high into the air.

My migas game has got pretty fabulous.

The worst:

People (some of them, people I like, but many complete strangers also) describing the coronavirus as either "Mother Nature" or "Planet Earth's revenge" on humans, acting out a pre-planned assault on the population for being unkind to animals and polluting the seas. Often these posts are accompanied by pictures of trees with sunsets and mystical font. MOTHER NATURE HAS HAD ENOUGH. WE MUST LISTEN. Oh God. Aaaaagh

Anyway, back to work, la dee da!

I've noticed a lot more people taking walks lately. I live across the street from a park and there has been quite a lot of foot traffic there above the usual. I've only been out once since returning from the coast last Thursday to get food. It may not be reasonable but I'm determined not to get C19. If I need to severely curtail my outings to do it, that's ok.

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 25 Mar 2020, 19:26

Ok that’s enough.

I find your rants, insults, ignorant twattishness and one-eyed bigotry perversely amusing and yes I do indulge in a little baiting from time to time (all the time actually) for the cheap giggles to be had but this takes the fucking biscuit.

What a cunt is all I can say.

Don’t want to even consider “conversing” with the type of lowlife who comes out with that sort of shit, or even see it, so you can fuck off into the Ignore box.

Never used it before - how exciting.

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 25 Mar 2020, 19:31

Deebank wrote:
Lord Rother wrote:Seriously though, it really is quite surprising how many previously anti Boris people are very impressed with his leadership and gravitas in this crisis. Obviously they are all complete cretins like me but you need to accept it as the truth because it really is happening out there.

Which makes me wonder exactly how far he'd have to fuck up before his fans would start to doubt him?

While I would admit we are in largely uncharted water, the government has still been spectacularly inept.
Their approach led by Johnson/Cummings has veered from the half-arsed to the full on but utterly chaotic and disjointed.
Their communications strategy has been risible. With zero leadership from the top, the public has dragged them into the current lockdown.

Medical professionals are having to buy PPE from Wikes!

Freelancers/sole traders like me still have no guidance on whether we can expect any money to come (to be fair I haven't checked whether this last issue has been addressed),

But the most unforgiveable crime has to be their complacency ("If a few OAPs die, so be it") early on.

Dismal.

One can only imagine the reaction if a Labour government had had the same clown car attitude to the most serious societal problem since WWII.

To be fair a few Rothers would have spontaneously combusted in righteous anger so there would have been an upside.

But you have to admire their sunny attitude as governmental incompetence raises their chances of premature death by a factor of a few thousand.

These are the sort of forelock tugging morons who volunteer to be first over the top to protect venal toffs like Johnson from having to face the consequences of their own horrible ineptitude.
I'm Jay Z on a bad day, Shakespeare on my worst days

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 25 Mar 2020, 19:50

Germany death toll climbing in the last 4 days quite markedly.

9, 23, 33, 48.

Has the traditional kiss greeting in France, Italy and Spain been identified as a contributing factor in the rapid spread in those countries?

Got to be a more efficient way of passing it on than a handshake I’d have thought.

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 25 Mar 2020, 19:54

post deleted
Charlie O. wrote: Do you have to be high, or something?

Rorschach

Postby Rorschach » 25 Mar 2020, 21:37

Lord Rother wrote:

Ok that’s enough.

What a cunt is all I can say.

Don’t want to even consider “conversing” with the type of lowlife who comes out with that sort of shit, or even see it, so you can fuck off into the Ignore box.

Why does that bother you so much? I’m genuinely curious.
Bugger off.

The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia

Postby The Prof » 25 Mar 2020, 22:01

Deebank wrote:
Lord Rother wrote:Seriously though, it really is quite surprising how many previously anti Boris people are very impressed with his leadership and gravitas in this crisis.

Really?
I haven’t seen or heard anything from him to show that he’s anything other than completely out of his depth.
Jeremy Hunt (of all people) is doing a better job and showing a greater understanding of the situation