86%

Total votes: 7

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Re: Salsa or guacamole?

Postby GoogaMooga » 29 Feb 2020, 16:12

The Modernist wrote:
Deebank wrote:
Nasty grey sludge when as you said yourself it’s just a few simple ingredients?

completely wrong, it's nasty green sludge..green. :)

Soylent?
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Still Baron
Diamond Geezer

Postby Still Baron » 29 Feb 2020, 16:42

GoogaMooga wrote:What do you think of Doritos, Baron?

Well they are fundamentally grotesque. And like many similar products, I’m convinced they’ve been made more salty in the past decade or so.

I’m happy to eat them if they are hanging around but if I’m spending money on that sort of thing for myself I would go for Fritos, Cheetos, or ruffles first.

They are ill-suited to be delivery vehicles for salsa or guacamole.
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Positive Passion

Postby Positive Passion » 29 Feb 2020, 17:07

Still Baron wrote:Because cruel experience has taught me that eating this sort of thing north of Waco and/or east of Houston is a terrible idea.

How annoying. I eat mine in Dallas.

Still Baron
Diamond Geezer

Postby Still Baron » 29 Feb 2020, 17:11

Positive Passion wrote:
Still Baron wrote:Because cruel experience has taught me that eating this sort of thing north of Waco and/or east of Houston is a terrible idea.

How annoying. I eat mine in Dallas.

Drive south!

I mean, it’s all relative, isn’t it! If you’re coming from London or Iowa, Dallas should deliver the goods in spades. And, I’m sure they’ve come a long way over the past 15 years, as everything has.

When UK friends come to visit, I used to really fret about getting to the absolute best BBQ place or whatever, but I realized that the very slight gradations between places would be mostly irrelevant to someone who’s having something for the first time.
Last edited by Still Baron on 29 Feb 2020, 18:21, edited 1 time in total.

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 29 Feb 2020, 17:48

Still Baron wrote:

Well they are fundamentally grotesque. And like many similar products, I’m convinced they’ve been made more salty in the past decade or so.

I’m happy to eat them if they are hanging around but if I’m spending money on that sort of thing for myself I would go for Fritos, Cheetos, or ruffles first.

They are ill-suited to be delivery vehicles for salsa or guacamole.

Doritos are the best thing I can find here, locally. I just noticed they are made by Pepsico. :) I've heard of Fritos and Cheetos, but we are selective with imports, unfortunately, and it is not always the best brands that we get.

I just gave up on a particularly nasty bargain brand, Cantina, faux-Mexican and much too rough and hard. You can get a huge bag for only 50 p, which should be a warning sign. So, I'll just stick to the Doritos for the time being.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 29 Feb 2020, 17:54

The Modernist wrote:
Deebank wrote:
Nasty grey sludge when as you said yourself it’s just a few simple ingredients?

completely wrong, it's nasty green sludge..green. :)

That’s the thing with avocados though, they don’t stay green unless you treat them proper.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Flower

Postby Flower » 29 Feb 2020, 19:01

GM ~ Some of these places sound interesting.

https://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=G ... Copenhagen

The best store bought guacamole that I've had is from Whole Foods Market. I used to go to the one on Magazine Street in New Orleans.

https://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/tips-a ... mole-again

If love could've saved you, you would've lived forever.

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 29 Feb 2020, 19:37

My sister-in-law puts together a mean guacamole but then she is South American.
She also swears by the avocado as a top notch protein hair conditioner plus a little added olive oil, whipped up and left on for an hour.
Last edited by Samoan on 29 Feb 2020, 19:39, edited 1 time in total.
Charlie O. wrote: Do you have to be high, or something?

Positive Passion

Postby Positive Passion » 29 Feb 2020, 19:38

Still Baron wrote:
Drive south!

You are kidding. I can't find my way out of Dallas.

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 01 Mar 2020, 01:03

Still Baron wrote:I was assuming that Googa was referring to something he was buying in a store, which is guaranteed to be appalling. It is true that nowadays you can buy most ingredients anywhere and the ingredients for salsa and guacamole aren't necessarily exotic (except perhaps for certain chiles you might be using for different salsas). Indeed, I made some downright serviceable guacamole this year for a new year's party in Bingley, despite the appalling avocados, cilantro, and lime available in the local Asda. But I'm not talking about what I could theoretically make myself, but instead what is generally available out and about. I try to avoid being a food bore on the internet because it is unquestionably boring, and I don't believe in "purity" in most respects. Nevertheless, it IS fun. And though I was not raised on any recognized great world cuisine (my mother's attempts to cook through the Julia Child/PIerre Franey American/French canon, notwithstanding) I WAS raised on several local specialties, including salsa and guacamole. And experience has taught me that, even if everyone has access to avocados, limes, salt, and cilantro, that doesn't mean that their guacamole will do anything other than disappoint me. And the very strong odds are that I won't be happy with those things as they are prepared outside of South Texas, Mexico, or parts of the American Southwest. Someone raised in Whitby isn't going to be happy about the fish and chips they get in Boise, even if it is, after all, only cod, potatoes, hot fat, and some batter. And so if I'm living in Northern Europe, I'm more inclined just to give the Southwestern American/Mexican offerings a miss, except for the time or three a year that I'm feeling motivated enough to make my own. And even then, the tortilla chips available are guaranteed to be fucking dreadful.

:lol:

People! Listen to this man!
(though you're selling the Southeast short, M)
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 01 Mar 2020, 01:13

You can get perfectly good guacamole in California, Michael.

Still Baron
Diamond Geezer

Postby Still Baron » 01 Mar 2020, 02:28

Matt Wilson wrote:You can get perfectly good guacamole in California, Michael.

I said I wouldn’t trust it north of Waco or east of Houston. Southern California is in neither of those places. Though my boundaries do inadvertently omit Northern California, and I’ll grant a conditional exception for territories north of Waco in New Mexico, Arizona, and California.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 01 Mar 2020, 02:29

At last! The key question because either S or G, what will you be using them for if not to dip chips. Because salsa can be useful for an omelet ingredient or to pour over a burger. Versatility is why I chose salsa over guac.

And a big yes to Doritos, especially the plain ones about which I've complained are NOT available in the US. You can get plain Tostitos in America, which are pretty good but too salty, but not the yellow packaged plain Doritos.

But give me Taiwan-made plain Doritos and Australia-made Old El Paso jarred hot salsa and I am perfectly happy.
You don't have to be smart to see how fucked up this shit is. Jimmy Dore

T. Berry Shuffle
sharp-eyed archivist

Postby T. Berry Shuffle » 02 Mar 2020, 15:56

Why no Queso option?!! :x :x
You read that in a book, didn't you?!

Still Baron
Diamond Geezer

Postby Still Baron » 02 Mar 2020, 16:36

T. Berry Shuffle wrote:Why no Queso option?!! :x :x

Freedom hating Brussels bureaucrats, one presumes.

T. Berry Shuffle
sharp-eyed archivist

Postby T. Berry Shuffle » 02 Mar 2020, 17:21

The only obvious explanation, surely!!
You read that in a book, didn't you?!