Lottery strategy

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Robert

Re: Lottery strategy

Postby Robert » 17 Feb 2020, 14:01

My dad was a very fanatic gambler in the lottery and was always plotting the sort of thing Mooga does. ' If a get so many, I have a sure win of su much plus increase odds'. In anticipation of his big win he'd start fantasising what he would do with the money. 'I'll buy you all a house'

During the time I lived at home, he never won anything bar the occasional small price. Then one day he won a bigger price. EURO 25.000.- !!!

When he passed away 14 years later, that whole amount + interest was still on his savings account.

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 17 Feb 2020, 14:06

good luck!

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 17 Feb 2020, 15:08

Robert wrote:My dad was a very fanatic gambler in the lottery and was always plotting the sort of thing Mooga does. ' If a get so many, I have a sure win of su much plus increase odds'. In anticipation of his big win he'd start fantasising what he would do with the money. 'I'll buy you all a house'

During the time I lived at home, he never won anything bar the occasional small price. Then one day he won a bigger price. EURO 25.000.- !!!

When he passed away 14 years later, that whole amount + interest was still on his savings account.

Good anecdote, thanks. See, that's the sort of thing I am aiming for. Not necessarily the millions, but a decent amount so I can publish some old comics here.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 29 Feb 2020, 16:10

Well, this is it, folks, tonight's the night. My brother, my mother, and I pooled our resources for 240 rows. We've got appx. £120 riding. Draw is at 2030 hrs. Danish time (GMT +1). Wish me luck!
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Flower

Postby Flower » 29 Feb 2020, 16:13

GoogaMooga wrote:Well, this is it, folks, tonight's the night. My brother, my mother, and I pooled our resources for 240 rows. We've got appx. £120 riding. Draw is at 2030 hrs. Danish time (GMT +1). Wish me luck!

Wishing you guys the best of luck.
If love could've saved you, you would've lived forever.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 29 Feb 2020, 16:22

Flower wrote:Wishing you guys the best of luck.

Thanks! :)

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 29 Feb 2020, 20:35

It was an extremely bad week, no numbers drawn below 15. We had four winning rows, 3 x 4 correct and 1 x 5 correct. First time we get 5 correct. I know we can do better than that. Next time we play will be the beginning of April.

Flower

Postby Flower » 01 Mar 2020, 13:28

GM ~ Even if you purchase ten thousand lines, the odds will be against you. I would suggest to only gamble money that you can afford to lose. Wishing you the best of luck but be wise about gambling.

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Postby soundchaser » 01 Mar 2020, 14:45

I used to be in a work syndicate that won very little, but that all stopped years ago when I retired.

I’ve never been into gambling, though, as it’s such a mugs game. My vice is CDs, which I get to keep. Yay!

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 01 Mar 2020, 16:51

I am doing it not so much for material gains as for the wish to publish a few Belgian comics classics that no publisher would touch. Real labors of love, because I think they ought to be available in Danish. That sort of thing requires capital.

Flower

Postby Flower » 01 Mar 2020, 17:53

GoogaMooga wrote:I am doing it not so much for material gains as for the wish to publish a few Belgian comics classics that no publisher would touch. Real labors of love, because I think they ought to be available in Danish. That sort of thing requires capital.

GM ~ Comics are "protected" under copyright laws. I would suggest that you contact the comic's publishers and tell them your idea of how it would be great for the comics to be published in Danish. Then see what their reactions are about your plan. Something might already be in the works or they might reject the idea regardless of financial gain. This way, you can see if there is a "light at the end of the tunnel" .. Good luck. :)

P.S. You really need to have a business plan and some sort of distribution network.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 01 Mar 2020, 18:03

Thanks, Flower, I am well aware of the legalities and everything is paid for, files, royalties, the works. The Belgian publishers don't care if their product comes out in Danish, other than the revenue from it. The Belgian Embassy doesn't care. The Region of Wallonia doesn't care. Nobody cares but me - and a few hundred diehard fans.

Fonz

Postby Fonz » 02 Mar 2020, 07:05

Rorschach wrote:You will never win big and no-one you know well will ever win big.

However, if you're paying out money you can afford and you get enjoyment from playing/fuel for fantasies, then it may be money well spent.

I know one individual who won £1.4M, and a syndicate who won £800k each. All at work. One, a pretty close colleague.

As others have said, if you buy a ticket, you can dream...
Heyyyy!

"Fonz clearly has no fucks to give. I like the cut of his Cupicidal gib."

Rorschach

Postby Rorschach » 02 Mar 2020, 13:33

Fonz wrote:
Rorschach wrote:You will never win big and no-one you know well will ever win big.

I know one individual who won £1.4M, and a syndicate who won £800k each. All at work. One, a pretty close colleague.

I read that thing about 'no-one you know well...' in a book once and I've repeated it as my own wisdom a few times. The first time I said it on here, two weeks later, bloody Joe Moody went and won the jackpot.
The next time I did it (on this thread), trans-chigley brought up Joe Moody again and now you and your lucky bloody friends!

OK, I give in. I shall retire the phrase.

(I actually know someone who won enough to buy a house...)
Bugger off.

C
Robust

Postby C » 02 Mar 2020, 18:00

GoogaMooga wrote:It was an extremely bad week, no numbers drawn below 15.

If I understand you correctly that makes no difference.

All the number are equally likely.

1,2,3,4,5,6 and 7 have as much chance of winning as any other selection of numbers.

Actually, and I have no evidence to support it, but if you did select 1 to 7 and those numbers did win, you would be less likely to have to share with other winners because most choose a 'spread selection' thinking they are more likely to win. Which, of course, they are not

It's not an 'impossible event' but the odds are massively against you....

[an impossible event is not the same as 'no winners this week' which forces a rollover]

Colin Occupants wrote:"Ooof! Tubs! etc"

John aka Josh

Postby John aka Josh » 02 Mar 2020, 20:09

C wrote:
GoogaMooga wrote:It was an extremely bad week, no numbers drawn below 15.

If I understand you correctly that makes no difference.

All the number are equally likely.

1,2,3,4,5,6 and 7 have as much chance of winning as any other selection of numbers.

Actually, and I have no evidence to support it, but if you did select 1 to 7 and those numbers did win, you would be less likely to have to share with other winners because most choose a 'spread selection' thinking they are more likely to win. Which, of course, they are not

It's not an 'impossible event' but the odds are massively against you....

[an impossible event is not the same as 'no winners this week' which forces a rollover]

There was a bit on More or Less (or possibly 5 Live Science) about lotteries and number sequences: most people who go for them pick sequences below 30, so you have as much chance of winning and are currently likely to have to share less with a sequence of higher numbers. The 1 -6 sequence is the commonest sequence chosen.

Fonz

Postby Fonz » 03 Mar 2020, 13:23

Birthdays/ anniversaries are the selection bias, hence numbers under 31.

That’s my theory anyway
Heyyyy!

"Fonz clearly has no fucks to give. I like the cut of his Cupicidal gib."

Flower

Postby Flower » 03 Mar 2020, 13:53

Fonz wrote:Birthdays/ anniversaries are the selection bias, hence numbers under 31.

That’s my theory anyway

I read an article long ago that said exactly that theory. Also, in the state of Florida, thousands of people play the numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 every week. So if those numbers ever come in, many will have to share the prize.

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/fl-xp ... story.html

Even with the record kitty, each of the 25,096 people who played "1-2-3-4-5-6" several weeks ago would get a measly $1,992.35 if they all bet the same numbers again this week and the combination came up on Saturday.