Lottery strategy

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Lottery strategy

Postby GoogaMooga » 15 Feb 2020, 22:29

Any of you guys play? I have started (again). Danish Saturday draw, 7 correct for jackpot. I know it is easier to get struck by lightning than to get 7, but six or six plus an extra are okay, too. With 7 I could realize my dreams, publish some comics no one else will touch. With 7 I could live comfortably for my remaining years. Now, people shake their heads and tell me I am better off putting the money in the bank, but at near zero percent interest, what's the point?

If you play, you will lose money. But live in hope. If you don't play, you'll save that bit of money, but then there is no hope. If you don't play, you sure as shit won't get anywhere. I'd rather lose a tenner a week and live in hope, than save that tenner and know nothing will ever happen.

10 rows is a fiver, 20 rows a tenner. My mother and I started out by pooling our money and playing 40 rows. But there were weeks when we did not even win the smallest prize. Now we have upped it to 60 rows a week, with my brother chipping in. 60 rows and you are almost guaranteed at least one winning row of four correct, which pays out a fiver. But split a fiver three ways and it does not leave you much.

So we aren't really getting anywhere yet. Now, we could buy more tickets and play more rows per week, or play more rows by only playing once a month for the same amount. We have decided on the latter. Once every four weeks will give us 240 rows. Wait two months and you've got 480 rows to play. Three months, 720, and so on. We could even wait ten months and play 2,400 rows, get the picture? The lottery winners, those who get 7 right, are the ones who pool it and play MANY rows. Hundreds, thousands of rows.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Jimbo

Re: Lottery strategy

Postby Jimbo » 16 Feb 2020, 03:00

GoogaMooga wrote: lose money. But live in hope.

Hope isn't a bad thing at all. It's precious.
You don't have to be smart to see how fucked up this shit is. Jimmy Dore

Flower

Postby Flower » 16 Feb 2020, 13:02

GM ~ I play the lotto every week, twice a week but only one quick pick each time.

The odds are against us but someone has to win.

If you purchase one ticket your odds are horrible (but, someone will win at some point)

If you purchase one hundred tickets, you have one hundred chances to win but at the same horrible odds.

Good luck!
If love could've saved you, you would've lived forever.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 16 Feb 2020, 13:43

Flower wrote:GM ~ I play the lotto every week, twice a week but only one quick pick each time.

The odds are against us but someone has to win.

If you purchase one ticket your odds are horrible (but, someone will win at some point)

If you purchase one hundred tickets, you have one hundred chances to win but at the same horrible odds.

Good luck!

Yes, but note the pay-out is 48% of the kitty. Obviously, 7 correct would be life-changing, but six and the extra number would still pay out six figures in DKK, enough to do something. If we play 240 rows, we might still lose money, but not all of it. And hope springs eternal.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 16 Feb 2020, 19:01

Strategy?

It is by definition random.

And in the UK your chance of winning is something like 12,000,000 to one against. About the shittiest odds you can get for a bet.

It is effectively a tax on stupidity.

But the money raised does go towards some nice projects. Perhaps it would be more efficient to donate the money to the charity of your choice.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 16 Feb 2020, 20:06

Deebank wrote:Strategy?

It is by definition random.

And in the UK your chance of winning is something like 12,000,000 to one against. About the shittiest odds you can get for a bet.

It is effectively a tax on stupidity.

But the money raised does go towards some nice projects. Perhaps it would be more efficient to donate the money to the charity of your choice.

Of course it is random. But 10 rows is not the same as 240 rows. People who pool it do win. Somebody has to win. And I'd be quite happy with a smaller prize than the jackpot. We'll give it six months and see how it goes. You suggest donating the money to charity straight away, well, I'd rather live in hope AND thereby donate. People waste money on all sorts of things. Cigarettes, where the pay-out is death, for example.

The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia

Postby The Prof » 16 Feb 2020, 20:57

Deebank wrote:But the money raised does go towards some nice projects.

..it's not as if the EU doesn't fund lots of o................oh.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 17 Feb 2020, 05:26

We buy a pack of tickets and place the envelope on a kinda high up altar (the dish cabinet handles) where we can bow to it when the desperation hits. Sooner or later we will crack open the pack to see if we win. According to my wife patience will make the chance of winning go up. Aaauuummm.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 17 Feb 2020, 07:19

Jimbo wrote:We buy a pack of tickets and place the envelope on a kinda high up altar (the dish cabinet handles) where we can bow to it when the desperation hits. Sooner or later we will crack open the pack to see if we win. According to my wife patience will make the chance of winning go up. Aaauuummm.

I win every time... but not enough.

Rorschach

Postby Rorschach » 17 Feb 2020, 08:48

You will never win big and no-one you know well will ever win big.

However, if you're paying out money you can afford and you get enjoyment from playing/fuel for fantasies, then it may be money well spent.
Bugger off.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 17 Feb 2020, 09:25

Rorschach wrote:You will never win big and no-one you know well will ever win big.

However, if you're paying out money you can afford and you get enjoyment from playing/fuel for fantasies, then it may be money well spent.

Didn't a BCBer win big (one of our members from Oz or NZ? Joe I think :? )

Flower said above, 'Someone's got to win it' which isn't strictly true, that's why you get a rollover if no one picks the correct numbers (in the UK lottery anyway) and the odds of selecting (what is it, six or seven?) random numbers are astronomically high - much higher than the 12 million to one I mentioned above I think.

But you're right, if you enjoy the process then fair enough. A mate of mine gambles quite a lot on the horses. He reckons over a year he comes out slightly out of pocket but it's his hobby (actually he also plays golf and manages a football team, he likes to keep busy) and he can afford it - which is the important part.

I like getting a scratchcard or a lottery ticket as a present but it's impossible not to mentally spend the millions and feel let down when you don't win. I won £50 when it started back in the '90s and quit while I was ahead :lol:
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Rorschach

Postby Rorschach » 17 Feb 2020, 09:53

Deebank wrote:

Yes. Joe Mooney or something like that. I was never totally convinced he'd won because he'd always struck me as a bit of a fantasist. But anyway, remembering that was why I added the word 'well' to my comment.

Deebank wrote:I won £50 when it started back in the '90s and quit while I was ahead :lol:

How very sensible of you!
I won a few hundred euros on the Spanish version of the pools the first time I did it. The Spanish pools is a little more judgement based than the English version (though still pretty random) so, unfortunately, I couldn't shake the feeling I was good at it despite knowing I'd just been lucky. I know I'm not alone in sometimes having a huge disconnect between my rational self and my instinctive self.
But I've never bet more than I can afford.
Bugger off.

The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia

Postby The Prof » 17 Feb 2020, 10:11

I've never done it but for the last few years I've asked that those people that were going to get me a Birthday card to get a lottery ticket instead. so, once a year I have a handful all lined up for the weekend draw.
This year, for the first time ever, I won £2!

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 17 Feb 2020, 10:12

Rorschach wrote:
Deebank wrote:

Yes. Joe Mooney or something like that. I was never totally convinced he'd won because he'd always struck me as a bit of a fantasist. But anyway, remembering that was why I added the word 'well' to my comment.

Joe Moody from NZ. I met him in London during the year he spent there after his big win (several million NZD). Lovely fella, he never struck me as a fantasist.

Rorschach

Postby Rorschach » 17 Feb 2020, 10:17

trans-chigley express wrote: Lovely fella, he never struck me as a fantasist.

I'm sure you're right.
He was always telling stories about how he and his wife had a lover who happened to be an aerobics instructor and then he won millions on the lottery ...
It struck me as a little unlikely at the time but, as you met him, I bow to your superior knowledge.
Bugger off.

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 17 Feb 2020, 10:46

Rorschach wrote:
trans-chigley express wrote: Lovely fella, he never struck me as a fantasist.

I'm sure you're right.
He was always telling stories about how he and his wife had a lover who happened to be an aerobics instructor and then he won millions on the lottery ...
It struck me as a little unlikely at the time but, as you met him, I bow to your superior knowledge.

Well, he may have been lying, who knows, I don't pretend to know him well. I generally take at face value what most people on this forum say, even those that claim to actually like The Fall :D

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 17 Feb 2020, 10:48

Rorschach wrote:You will never win big and no-one you know well will ever win big.

An aunt of mine won 3,000 and a neighbor friend of my great aunt won £10,000.

I don't mind blowing a tenner a week to live in (faint) hope.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 17 Feb 2020, 10:52

The Prof wrote:This year, for the first time ever, I won £2!

I win every week. Minimum £5

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 17 Feb 2020, 11:08

There is an automatic booby prize of 300 yen for every pack you buy here. Last time I got 300 yen from the lady at the kiosk I whooped and hollered like I'd won the jackpot thus making an ass of myself again.

Flower

Postby Flower » 17 Feb 2020, 13:38

*No comment ... ;)

I "won" a free ticket Saturday night and will use it on Wednesday's draw.
If love could've saved you, you would've lived forever.