Things your mother used to say

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Re: Things your mother used to say

Postby Minnie the Minx » 12 Feb 2020, 14:34

Not indelicate at all. She was in a displaced person’s camp.
She also spent some time in jail for blowing up an ammunition hut with a carelessly discarded cigarette, though she claims it was an electrical fault.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Rorschach

Postby Rorschach » 12 Feb 2020, 15:10

Minnie the Minx wrote:Not indelicate at all. She was in a displaced person’s camp.
She also spent some time in jail for blowing up an ammunition hut with a carelessly discarded cigarette, though she claims it was an electrical fault.

Wow. She had it rough. Puts a different perspective on me wingeing about not being able to afford a weekend in Paris.
Bugger off.

Flower

Postby Flower » 12 Feb 2020, 15:34

Rorschach wrote:
Flower wrote:... "If you eat the ends of the bread or the last piece of anything, you will be old maids." :lol:

Being an old maid was not a threat to a five year old ...

Not heard that one but my mum used to day that we should eat our burnt toast, i.e. the toast that she had burnt, because it would give us curly hair.
What five year old wants curly hair?

Only the five year olds who wanted to be Shirley Temple. My parents and grandparents generation wanted a Shirley Temple in the family.

If love could've saved you, you would've lived forever.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 12 Feb 2020, 20:01

It's your fault!
Civilization can never be taken for granted. Thierry Meyssan

Flower

Postby Flower » 12 Feb 2020, 23:05

How could I forget this one?

"You need to finish everything on your plate because there are starving children in Europe" I never understood how it would help starving children if I ate all my food. An ex boyfriend from Belgium told me that his mother would tell him that he had to eat everything on his plate because there were "starving children in Africa." :lol:

Still Baron
Diamond Geezer

Postby Still Baron » 13 Feb 2020, 03:08

My mother isn't the sort of person who is prone to wacky or old fashioned sayings. But she does say some bonkers shit.

She would, in an exaggerated raised voice, exhort my father and me to get off our asses and get some exercise or do something active by shouting "blood to the brain" at random. I don't recall that she was particularly active herself and it wasn't like we were total couch potatoes. She also had pet theories about food and nutrition and she was convinced that I should chew every bite of food 30 times before swallowing. This is, of course, nuts. But she would randomly insist from time to time.
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 13 Feb 2020, 08:33

Post deleted.
Charlie O. wrote: Do you have to be high, or something?

Flower

Postby Flower » 16 Feb 2020, 18:55

I don't know how I could forget this one ..

"I hope that you get a child exactly like you!" As if that was a curse or something. I would reply "I hope that I do too!" :lol: