Swimming

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Jimbo

Swimming

Postby Jimbo » 31 Jan 2020, 11:50

I just started swimming again after not swimming for many years and I am really enjoying myself. Plus, I lost more weight during this week of rediscovering swimming than in the many months I spent in the machine gym. The thing is I largely stick to doing the crawl because when I try the breaststroke I am an especially ungraceful swimmer splashing water far beyond the pool's borders. My wife calls me a water buffalo. :x One thing that kept me from swimming was that I can't listen to music or podcasts while in the pool - or can I?
Civilization can never be taken for granted. Thierry Meyssan

Six String

Re: Swimming

Postby Six String » 31 Jan 2020, 15:22

Rebecca took swimming lessons at the local Jr. College many years ago and it really helped her form and enjoyment.

I remember a waterproof Walkman back in the day but not sure about today's digital based machines.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 31 Jan 2020, 18:50

Speaking of swimming schools, at my gym the swimming area is big. There are two pools each with 25 meter lanes. One pool is bigger than the other and that's the pool where they hold swimming classes as well as water aerobics sessions. During classes a couple of lanes are left open for free swimmers like me and that is where I observed the kids swimming school. These kids are around five or six years old and there are like 50 of them. Above the pool is a glassed in observation deck where sit the parents, mostly mothers, who can watch their kid swim. But I saw today they are not watching their kids. They are all heads down watching their cell phones. But what I also noticed and I also remembered was that we had sent our own kid to a school like this 30 years ago and a bad memory bobbed up into my brain. Today - and back then - the kids were not allowed to have fun. If the class was an hour long I'd say each kid spent seven minutes in the water. Today and back then the kids sat on the floor in groups by each lane and then one by one enter the water and practice a stroke before the instructor with a clipboard. Today was the backstroke. Meanwhile all the other kids just sat and waited for their turn. Maybe it's a Japanese thing, a way to instill a spartan attitude but it looked like a rip off to me. And it felt like a rip off to me back then when it was my kid just sitting on the deck when I paid good money for him to swim and have fun in a pool. It is true the kids are learning how to swim and that will be a good thing for the rest of their lives but gee. Actually, there must have been some time left over and they did give the kids some free time to splash around but after about a minute a bell rang and they had to get out of the water. Then they lined up, did some stretching exercise in unison and then bowed and thanked their instructors saying, "Domo arigato gozaimasu." But they didn't say it with enough conviction or volume and had to say it over again. The No-Fun School of Swimming.

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 31 Jan 2020, 19:32

I hated swimming lessons when I was a kid. I mean, I'm glad I know how to (barely) swim, but it sucked at the time. It turned out that my dad was a far better teacher than the highschool kids at the local pool. Who would've guessed...

I still have a small scar from the first time they made us jump into the pool and I somehow twisted around and smacked my chin on the concrete deck on my way in.
If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 01 Feb 2020, 05:40

If this ain't "the future" I don't know what is. Today at the pool I saw the cutest most heartwarming site I'd ever seen. Taking over the entire poll, there were easily 100 mothers and some fathers cradling their infants, little babies, and they were bobbing in the water introducing these barely born humans to the aquatic environment. Taking cues from an instructor who held a large baby doll the parents would swing the baby through the water and the babies would smile and the parents would smile and I stood like a jerk smiling. These pygmy people could easily become the money grubbing swimming infants from the Nirvana cover.

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 01 Feb 2020, 06:01

Regardless of how they grow up, I'm proud of you for not jerking off in the moment.
If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.

Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Postby Lord Rother » 01 Feb 2020, 10:05

My son is a swimming coach and ex (still occasional) competitive swimmer.

God, the number of hours I spent at either end of the day getting him to and from pools for training and open meets is astonishing - still, those 8 x 2 hour sessions per week sat poolside gave me loads of time to feed my (as was at the time) developing interest in prog music.

One of his mates, Tom Dean, is a lovely lad who I gave numerous lifts to and from sessions - he’s 19 and will be medalling at the Olympics. Watching his progress from the scrawny little chap to the 6’5” brick shithouse and one of the best in the world as he is now has been a real pleasure.

Flower

Postby Flower » 02 Feb 2020, 15:17

My father is a good swimmer, my mother never learned how to swim. My parents would take me to the beach (Far Rockaway) starting when I was about a year and half, Unfortunately, when I was around three and a half years old, I was knocked over by a wave and completely submerged. I have hated having my head under water in the ocean or pools ever since that incident.

I learned to swim at Summer camp when I was five years old. I am an okay swimmer but to this day, I won't put my head under water. I enjoy water sports such as canoeing but really don't enjoy swimming. I do have my junior life saving badge from Camp Moonbeam but doubt if I'd be able to save anyone's life.

I'm also not a fan of chlorine.

Floats are fun too.
If love could've saved you, you would've lived forever.

Jumper K

Postby Jumper K » 02 Feb 2020, 15:38

Swimming is for losers. Get a boat.

Positive Passion

Postby Positive Passion » 02 Feb 2020, 16:00

I love swimming, whether in the sea or in a pool. I could spend all day in the water. For a couple of years I went to the local pool - that is, the pool used for the 2012 Olympics - during the afternoon (now I work full rime again, so can't get there). I had a lane to myself. Swimming in a three metre deep pool is amazing. And often Tom Daley was practising in the diving pool.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 02 Feb 2020, 16:30

Positive Passion wrote: Swimming in a three metre deep pool is amazing.

Ya know, that's a big difference between US pools and Japanese pools. All the pools here are lane pools and only a meter or a meter and a half deep throughout and not sloped from very shallow to very deep like US pools. I can stand anywhere in the pool with my head above the water but still swim on the water.