Viis küsimust

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Viis küsimust

Postby Minnie the Minx » 29 Jan 2020, 14:54

In the Spice Girls song "Wannabe" Mel B ( I think) sings "and as for me, well you'll see" - what was she on about?

Parents worry about their kids dying before them, usually from accident or disease but do you think parents worry about their kids reaching the natural end of their lives in the same way? If you're a parent, would it pain you to think of your kids dying of pneumonia in bed aged 89 after a couple of days? I know this is a weird question, but I have been thinking about this a LOT.

Would you rather have a Zippo from a hippo or some money from a bunny?

Do you ever make pizza from scratch? Is it any good? If you don't, why don't you? HOW HARD CAN IT BE?

Think up a name for a dinosaur that mainly eats poppies.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Flower

Re: Viis küsimust

Postby Flower » 29 Jan 2020, 15:56

In the Spice Girls song "Wannabe" Mel B ( I think) sings "and as for me, well you'll see" - what was she on about?
Not something that I think about.

Parents worry about their kids dying before them, usually from accident or disease but do you think parents worry about their kids reaching the natural end of their lives in the same way? If you're a parent, would it pain you to think of your kids dying of pneumonia in bed aged 89 after a couple of days? I know this is a weird question, but I have been thinking about this a LOT.
Not something that I'd ever think about.

Don't smoke so the money from the bunny.

Do you ever make pizza from scratch? Is it any good? If you don't, why don't you? HOW HARD CAN IT BE?
I've done it and will do it again. It was fine, my husband liked it better than it did but then again, I did all the work. Having Dr. Oetker's Pizzas in the freezer which I really like and tend to pick up when they go on sale for three bucks, stops me from making fresh pizza more often.We also have some great pizsa places that deliver.

Think up a name for a dinosaur that mainly eats poppies
A dope-asauras or Extinct by Heroin
If love could've saved you, you would've lived forever.

Six String

Postby Six String » 29 Jan 2020, 18:34

Sounds like a weak version of a toast to oneself.

Nope. Death is part of life. Besides I'm not a parent so I never think of such things.

A carrot from a parrot.

Getting the dough right is the most critical part, but even knowing what and how much toppings can be placed on top is a learning curve although shorter than making the dough. I've bought a ball of premade dough from my local shop and made pizza that way which turned out pretty good. Hell, even Rebecca's grandaughter (before the second one came along) rolled her own dough out at age three and put her own toppings on with good success. I've never even tried to make my own dough. As much as I like to cook I rarely bake. That's Rebecca's thing and she's good at it so I leave it to her. There are a lot of steps and details to getting the dough right for a proper crust. I'll just go to Masullo's and have one of theirs.

A popalopalos.

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 29 Jan 2020, 19:12

​“You come to love not by finding the perfect person, but by seeing an imperfect person perfectly.”– Sam Keen

I think it would pain me to think about it. I'm not a parent, but I sometimes feel an uncontrollable sadness when I look at a pet and understand that they won't be there one day, although the fact that I'll most likely still be there when they go must compound it somewhat. But I think that the knowledge that something or someone you love will one day die, whether or not you're there to be affected by it, must surely cause some pain.

I tend to see rabbits far more often than I see hippos, so my odds of getting anything are probably much better with them.

I've never made a proper pizza from scratch, but I'm often tempted to try when I see those balls of pre-made pizza dough at the supermarket. It's probably not as easy as it seems, though, to do it right. I have a friend who makes pizza from scratch, dough and all, and while I've never tasted one, they sure do look good!

Flandersaurus
If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 30 Jan 2020, 19:26

It was all a game, wasn't it? We were misled. I genuinely thought - wow, at some point something really amazing will be revealed about her -but nothing. Bastards.

I don't know why this has been playing on my mind recently but I thought about all the times adult children have been sat holding the hands of their moribund parents and whether the parents in question look at their kids and think "oh no, one day this will happen to you!" It's a pointless thing to dwell on, especially as I've watched so many people die and frankly, I have never had the impression that that has been at the forefront of their minds.

I want a Zippo from a hippo because I know what rabbit paws look like, whereas I don't know what hippo feet look like. I want to watch a hippo pick up and pass me the lighter, so I can get a really good look. Maybe I would clasp their foot tightly as they passed it to me, and say THANK YOU! And I would be able to have a good feel of it at the same time!

Not from scratch, no. It probably isn't hard,but dough and I have a complicated and unsuccessful history.

Ian
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 30 Jan 2020, 20:24

The word Dinosaur has ancient greek roots. "Deinos" means terrible or awesome in the more traditional sense. Sauros is lizard or reptile.

A poppy-eating dinosaur might be something like paparounasaurus - "poppy lizard"

It's made more complex by the fact that the poppy had connotations with death in Ancient Greece, in particular in Minoan crete.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 31 Jan 2020, 10:02

KeithPratt wrote:The word Dinosaur has ancient greek roots. "Deinos" means terrible or awesome in the more traditional sense. Sauros is lizard or reptile.

A poppy-eating dinosaur might be something like paparounasaurus - "poppy lizard"

It's made more complex by the fact that the poppy had connotations with death in Ancient Greece, in particular in Minoan crete.

I knew poppy head headdresses were worn by (some -priests etc maybe) Minoans but I recall the theory was it had something to do with the narcotic properties of the depicted poppy seed heads.

I dont think anyone has translated their ‘writing’ though so it’s all theory really.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 01 Feb 2020, 16:56

You could also have papaphaganasaurus (Poppy-eating reptile).

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 01 Feb 2020, 19:27

Gesundheit!

harvey k-tel wrote:

Flandersaurus

This is far and away the best name. Very poignant.
Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 01 Feb 2020, 19:37

Deebank wrote:I knew poppy head headdresses were worn by (some -priests etc maybe) Minoans but I recall the theory was it had something to do with the narcotic properties of the depicted poppy seed heads.

I dont think anyone has translated their ‘writing’ though so it’s all theory really.

They had poppy seed head shaped urns as well for secretive shipping -

The history of the poppy and of opium and their expansion in antiquity in the eastern Mediterranean area
Professor Dr. P. G. KRITIKOS
S. P. PAPADAKI
Laboratory of Pharmacognosy, University of Athens, Greece

https://www.unodc.org/unodc/en/data-and-analysis/bulletin/bulletin_1967-01-01_3_page004.html

Robust reading.
Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 02 Feb 2020, 05:16

Minnie the Minx wrote:In the Spice Girls song "Wannabe" Mel B ( I think) sings "and as for me, well you'll see" - what was she on about?

Great küsimust! I think most parents would be thoughtful about it, and realize that it is the nature of things and there's nothing to be done about it. Most want to make sure they do the best for the children, but know they can't worry about what happens after they're gone. Any that wouldn't be would also be the ones who worry about anything: "I mean what if the pilot doesn't actually know where he's going! That could be a possibility!"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 02 Feb 2020, 09:26

Samoan wrote:
Deebank wrote:I knew poppy head headdresses were worn by (some -priests etc maybe) Minoans but I recall the theory was it had something to do with the narcotic properties of the depicted poppy seed heads.

They had poppy seed head shaped urns as well for secretive shipping -

The history of the poppy and of opium and their expansion in antiquity in the eastern Mediterranean area
Professor Dr. P. G. KRITIKOS
S. P. PAPADAKI
Laboratory of Pharmacognosy, University of Athens, Greece

https://www.unodc.org/unodc/en/data-and-analysis/bulletin/bulletin_1967-01-01_3_page004.html

Robust reading.

Interesting stuff
Thanks.

I’d love to go back to Knossos one day - and Hiraklion museum.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 02 Feb 2020, 11:16

This is worth a watch. It concerns how Evans and those who participated in the digs in the late 19th century used the fragments of archaeology they found with late 19th century representations of figures in contemporary art, and how they "matched" them together as it were. It's about how that era made all sorts of assumptions about things in reality they knew very little or nothing about, and how then contemporary academics have to really unpick everything and start again.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 02 Feb 2020, 19:53

KeithPratt wrote:

This is worth a watch. It concerns how Evans and those who participated in the digs in the late 19th century used the fragments of archaeology they found with late 19th century representations of figures in contemporary art, and how they "matched" them together as it were. It's about how that era made all sorts of assumptions about things in reality they knew very little or nothing about, and how then contemporary academics have to really unpick everything and start again.

That was really interesting
Cheers.

And after I watched a lecture in the Causes of the post-Minoan dark ago.