Food made in crock pots / pressure cookers/ instapots

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
User avatar
Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector
Posts: 30939
Joined: 29 Dec 2006, 16:00
Location: In the naughty North and in the sexy South

Food made in crock pots / pressure cookers/ instapots

Postby Minnie the Minx » 14 Jan 2020, 09:42

I’ve never owned a ‘slow cooking’ device but fuck me, my stepmum made a french onion soup that was just about the loveliest thing I ever tasted. I always thought it was for lazy cooks - and it may be! If so, being lazy sounds like the way forward for me!
Do you have one? Is an insta pot a slow cooker? If it is, then why is it called an insta pot?
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

User avatar
Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector
Posts: 30939
Joined: 29 Dec 2006, 16:00
Location: In the naughty North and in the sexy South

Re: Food made in crock pots / pressure cookers/ instapots

Postby Minnie the Minx » 14 Jan 2020, 17:22

I suppose you all use SEVERAL PANS!
Wankers
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

User avatar
St Jeemo the Humourless
Posts: 21176
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 23:17
Location: ????

Re: Food made in crock pots / pressure cookers/ instapots

Postby St Jeemo the Humourless » 14 Jan 2020, 18:09

every pan in the house, plus pots and steamer.

get it up ye
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

User avatar
Flower
Posts: 6879
Joined: 05 Mar 2009, 22:22
Location: Unlisted

Re: Food made in crock pots / pressure cookers/ instapots

Postby Flower » 14 Jan 2020, 19:14

I received a Crockpot a.k.a. slow cooker for a Christmas gift around ten or eleven years ago. It was a strange gift or perhaps a re~gift as it's not something that I've ever wanted. In the ten or eleven years that I've had the Crockpot, I've used it to make beef stew two or three times. Did it come out better than beef stew made in my usual pot? Not really.

I don't leave appliances on when I leave the house and make sure that I unplug the toaster oven, coffee grinder, etc. So having a meal slowly cooking when I was out of the house, would just worry me that the house would burn down or something bad would happen.

That's just me. I've heard people rave about slow cookers and would love to give mine and the deep fryer that this person gave me the following Christmas, a new home where they can be loved and used.. Alas, the weight of the Crockpot and the deep flyer doesn't lend to shipping.
If love could've saved you, you would've lived forever.

Six String
Posts: 20642
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:22

Re: Food made in crock pots / pressure cookers/ instapots

Postby Six String » 14 Jan 2020, 19:32

I have a slow cooker and have used it regularly for years. It was particularly important during my work years but I still use it regularly. If you see the term braise in a recipe a slow cooker is ideal. One of the great things is feeling free to leave the house and run errands while it is cooking, said mething I would never do with my stove.

User avatar
hippopotamus
Posts: 948
Joined: 22 Dec 2015, 11:00

Re: Food made in crock pots / pressure cookers/ instapots

Postby hippopotamus » 14 Jan 2020, 20:41

I have an instant pot, which I think is the brand name. My mother gave me a slow cooker a couple of months before and people WOULD NOT STOP telling me how great slow cooking was, so I tried it out. I had to bend my brain around cooking in a very different way, but I got the hang of it pretty quickly. I was convinced as soon as I made a minestrone soup. We had a couple coming over for dinner, one of whom was Italian. I regretted my decision to make an Italian dish for an Italian person but I had NO time, and supposedly this took no time. It was incredible, and nothing I could realistically do on the stove.

A very little while later my husband bought me an Instant Pot. He's absolutely obsessed with them. I was not fussed, and thought I had done well trying out the slow cooker, now this.

The Instant pot is a Pressure Cooker, not a slow cooker. You can USE it as a slow cooker, but it basically does slow cooking at a high pressure which makes it much faster. It's still a very different type of cooking.

At the moment we're having massive house renovations, including being out of a kitchen for 2 months. It's been a life saver. So far we haven't really missed our kitchen. Everything is delicious and usually in bulk. One of my favourite things is that you can make black beans from DRY (without soaking overnight which I NEVER remember to do) to cooked and delicious in 55 minutes. Which is amazing. Macaronni cheese in 10 minutes, and effortwise only requires you to grate cheese.

I'm a convert and bought one for my sister for Christmas.

It also makes Yoghurt!
Diamond Dog wrote:
nev gash wrote:What is point?


Indeed, what is point?

User avatar
Still Baron
Diamond Geezer
Posts: 43761
Joined: 18 Jul 2003, 05:38
Location: Impregnable Citadel of Technicality

Re: Food made in crock pots / pressure cookers/ instapots

Postby Still Baron » 14 Jan 2020, 20:46

Oh god
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

User avatar
Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector
Posts: 30939
Joined: 29 Dec 2006, 16:00
Location: In the naughty North and in the sexy South

Re: Food made in crock pots / pressure cookers/ instapots

Postby Minnie the Minx » 14 Jan 2020, 20:56

Flower wrote:I received a Crockpot a.k.a. slow cooker for a Christmas gift around ten or eleven years ago. It was a strange gift or perhaps a re~gift as it's not something that I've ever wanted. In the ten or eleven years that I've had the Crockpot, I've used it to make beef stew two or three times. Did it come out better than beef stew made in my usual pot? Not really.

I don't leave appliances on when I leave the house and make sure that I unplug the toaster oven, coffee grinder, etc. So having a meal slowly cooking when I was out of the house, would just worry me that the house would burn down or something bad would happen.

That's just me. I've heard people rave about slow cookers and would love to give mine and the deep fryer that this person gave me the following Christmas, a new home where they can be loved and used.. Alas, the weight of the Crockpot and the deep flyer doesn't lend to shipping.


I also shit myself at the thought of leaving stuff on in the house! But equally, like the idea of coming home to nice smells. What to do!
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

User avatar
Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector
Posts: 30939
Joined: 29 Dec 2006, 16:00
Location: In the naughty North and in the sexy South

Re: Food made in crock pots / pressure cookers/ instapots

Postby Minnie the Minx » 14 Jan 2020, 20:56

hippopotamus wrote:I have an instant pot, which I think is the brand name. My mother gave me a slow cooker a couple of months before and people WOULD NOT STOP telling me how great slow cooking was, so I tried it out. I had to bend my brain around cooking in a very different way, but I got the hang of it pretty quickly. I was convinced as soon as I made a minestrone soup. We had a couple coming over for dinner, one of whom was Italian. I regretted my decision to make an Italian dish for an Italian person but I had NO time, and supposedly this took no time. It was incredible, and nothing I could realistically do on the stove.

A very little while later my husband bought me an Instant Pot. He's absolutely obsessed with them. I was not fussed, and thought I had done well trying out the slow cooker, now this.

The Instant pot is a Pressure Cooker, not a slow cooker. You can USE it as a slow cooker, but it basically does slow cooking at a high pressure which makes it much faster. It's still a very different type of cooking.

At the moment we're having massive house renovations, including being out of a kitchen for 2 months. It's been a life saver. So far we haven't really missed our kitchen. Everything is delicious and usually in bulk. One of my favourite things is that you can make black beans from DRY (without soaking overnight which I NEVER remember to do) to cooked and delicious in 55 minutes. Which is amazing. Macaronni cheese in 10 minutes, and effortwise only requires you to grate cheese.

I'm a convert and bought one for my sister for Christmas.

It also makes Yoghurt!



Hang on hang on what husband??
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

User avatar
Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector
Posts: 30939
Joined: 29 Dec 2006, 16:00
Location: In the naughty North and in the sexy South

Re: Food made in crock pots / pressure cookers/ instapots

Postby Minnie the Minx » 14 Jan 2020, 20:57

Still Baron wrote:Oh god


What???
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

User avatar
Still Baron
Diamond Geezer
Posts: 43761
Joined: 18 Jul 2003, 05:38
Location: Impregnable Citadel of Technicality

Re: Food made in crock pots / pressure cookers/ instapots

Postby Still Baron » 14 Jan 2020, 21:47

Minnie the Minx wrote:
Still Baron wrote:Oh god


What???


She had you at yogurt and black beans and everybody knows it!
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Six String
Posts: 20642
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:22

Re: Food made in crock pots / pressure cookers/ instapots

Postby Six String » 14 Jan 2020, 23:14

:lol:

User avatar
trans-chigley express
Posts: 18356
Joined: 11 Nov 2003, 01:50
Location: Asia's WC

Re: Food made in crock pots / pressure cookers/ instapots

Postby trans-chigley express » 15 Jan 2020, 00:00

I use a big cast iron wok for pretty much everything but a friend of mine offered to give me a small unused Instant Pot that she doesn't need as she already has a bigger one so I'll give it a go, especially as it does rice too so I may be able to replace my old rice cooker with it.

From my experience soups and stews cooked in slow cookers and pressure cookers come out really nice.

User avatar
Jimbo
Posts: 17037
Joined: 26 Dec 2009, 21:22

Re: Food made in crock pots / pressure cookers/ instapots

Postby Jimbo » 15 Jan 2020, 02:43

I made a chicken soup in my father's slow cooker once when I was looking after him. It came out great. We now have one ourselves inherited from a friend who moved back to Canada. We have hardly ever used it. Perhaps, Minnie or Baron, you could suggest a slow cooker recipe or two.

The cooker I think is miraculous is my big yellow Le Cruset stew pot. Once I melt the two or three onions in the bottom no matter what else I chuck in afterwards always seems to meld and come out deliciously.

A new-fangled kitchen device I have had my eye on is an air-fryer and how it can "fry" sans oil for low calorie french fries and batter coated whatever. The price has come down a great deal but they're pretty big and bulky and my kitchen is tiny. And really I don't need it.
Mentally replace all the doofy company logos on people’s cars and clothing with the word “CAPITALISM”. C. Johnstone

User avatar
Rorschach
Posts: 2003
Joined: 02 Jun 2008, 12:43

Re: Food made in crock pots / pressure cookers/ instapots

Postby Rorschach » 15 Jan 2020, 07:28

I've always fancied having a slow cooker to make stews with but stews don't go down so well in my family: my wife doesn't like meat and my son doesn't like too many vegetables unleavened with lots of meat. Hard to separate these things with a stew...

So, anyone got any suggestions about other things you can make in a slow cooker?
Bugger off.

User avatar
Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector
Posts: 30939
Joined: 29 Dec 2006, 16:00
Location: In the naughty North and in the sexy South

Re: Food made in crock pots / pressure cookers/ instapots

Postby Minnie the Minx » 15 Jan 2020, 08:03

Cider I hope!
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

User avatar
Flower
Posts: 6879
Joined: 05 Mar 2009, 22:22
Location: Unlisted

Re: Food made in crock pots / pressure cookers/ instapots

Postby Flower » 15 Jan 2020, 10:57

COOK BOOKS! The could be the solution for people on the fence about purchasing Crockpots/pressure cookers/intapots. I know that there are cook books for Crockpots and there are more than likely some for the other cookers. Local libraries should have them on hand or you can browse through them in a book store. This way, you can see not only what can be made in these vessels but also if they suit your cooking style.
If love could've saved you, you would've lived forever.

Six String
Posts: 20642
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:22

Re: Food made in crock pots / pressure cookers/ instapots

Postby Six String » 15 Jan 2020, 19:31

I love the idea of cooking dried beans in an hour without soaking first. I would eat more beans if I could remember to soak them overnight.

User avatar
The Dríver
Hippy Replacement
Posts: 12664
Joined: 17 Jul 2003, 08:13

Re: Food made in crock pots / pressure cookers/ instapots

Postby The Dríver » 18 Jan 2020, 13:41

Love the slow cooker. I wouldn't say it gets a regular workout, but once or twice a month. Bung in a bunch of ingredients. Switch it on before you leave for work. Come home to a lovely aroma and a tasty meal.

I have a pressure cooker somewhere too. It was my mum's. Great for soups and stews.
He's a simpleton. 200 years ago they wouldn't have let him milk a cow.