Detective this and that

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Flower

Re: Detective this and that

Postby Flower » 26 Nov 2019, 01:52

Victoria Iphigenia "Vic" "V. I." Warshawski is a fictional private investigator from Chicago who is the protagonist featured in a series of detective novels and short stories written by Chicago author Sara Paretsky.

I really enjoyed the novels at first but enjoy them less now.
If love could've saved you, you would've lived forever.

Flower

Postby Flower » 27 Nov 2019, 18:38

Robert B. Parker

I never watched Spenser for Hire on television and had no interest in Robert B. Parker until a couple of years ago when my husband took out of his novels from the library. I tried it and to my surprise, I liked it. Who could be cooler than Hawk? Spenser and Susan were cool too.

The problem I had reading these books is that they made me crave both donuts and Johnny Walker Blue. I've not tried the Johnny Walker Blue as of yet but did try one of the books written by another author after Parker's death. No one "got" Spenser the way that Parker did, so I ended my reading of his books at Sixkill.

Fonz

Postby Fonz » 27 Nov 2019, 18:57

I've mentioned him before, but Joseph Hansen's Dave Brandstetter series is excellent. Set in LA. He's a gay insurance investigator. His orientation is important, as these books were written contemporaneously through the seventies/eighties. A unique perspective.

The Montalbano books are great. Mouth-watering, in their descriptions of Sicillian food.

Wallender obvs.
Heyyyy!

"Fonz clearly has no fucks to give. I like the cut of his Cupicidal gib."

Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Postby Lord Rother » 27 Nov 2019, 19:07

Neither do I try to solve mysteries. Of course one picks things up (usually but not always little planted red herrings) along the way but I just let it happen without trying to second guess.

Same with films, although I could generally suss out quite early whodunnit in Columbo...

Flower

Postby Flower » 29 Nov 2019, 20:55

I was wandering around the library a couple of months ago, looking for something different to read and came across an Alan Bradley Flavia de Luce book and decided to try it. It's a book that I didn't really enjoy but kept reading it. I've now read all the books in the series and still don't really enjoy Flavia de Luce but it's sort of addicting.

So, read the article and maybe the book might appeal to you or not.

https://bookriot.com/2018/05/17/flavia-de-luce-books/

Flower

Postby Flower » 12 Dec 2019, 12:44

I miss Ruth Rendell a.k.a. Barbara Vine.