Detective this and that

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Detective this and that

Postby GoogaMooga » 23 Nov 2019, 11:40

How do you feel about detective stories, whether they be films or novels? Do you play along, do they appeal to your inner sleuth? Me, I couldn't give a toss about unraveling the mystery, who did what to whom on the night of January 16th, etc., etc. Great big yawn. Unfortunately, a lot of private eye stories are great, not to be missed, works of art. Think film noir, hardboiled novels, all that stuff. Even Agatha Christie has her moments, at least in a small handful of films. I wouldn't be without the Sam Spades and the Philip Marlowes of this world, either. Would you? But to me, it's the mood, the characters, the WAY those mysteries are presented, that keeps me coming back for more, even as I stifle a yawn in the proceedings. I'd make a lousy private eye.

"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Flower

Re: Detective this and that

Postby Flower » 23 Nov 2019, 12:36

GM ~ I love a good detective, mystery, thriller novel or movie. Two of my current favorite authors are Daniel Silva and Martin Cruz Smith. Martin Cruz Smith's most recent novel, "The Siberian Dilemma" is the weakest of his "Renko" series but not a horrible read. I'll write more when I have the time.
If love could've saved you, you would've lived forever.

Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Postby Lord Rother » 23 Nov 2019, 13:17

I mostly read crime / detective and end of the world books. (When I read, not much recently at all which I regret.)

Of the crime genre my favourites are:

Michael Connolly
James Lee Burke
George Pelecanos
Peter James
Stuart MacBride
Simon Kernick

And the one whose books are set in the Peak District and whose name annoyingly escapes me at the moment.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 23 Nov 2019, 13:58

Check out Adrian McKinty’s Sean Duffy novels

Very good indeed.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Scally Mcgrew
apparent poobah

Postby Scally Mcgrew » 23 Nov 2019, 14:43

Lord Rother wrote:I mostly read crime / detective and end of the world books. (When I read, not much recently at all which I regret.)

Michael Connolly
James Lee Burke
George Pelecanos
Peter James
Stuart MacBride
Simon Kernick

And the one whose books are set in the Peak District and whose name annoyingly escapes me at the moment.

Stephen Booth.
Know what really makes me mad? They clean me with a Brillo pad...

Powehi

Postby Powehi » 23 Nov 2019, 15:29

Deebank wrote:Check out Adrian McKinty’s Sean Duffy novels

Very good indeed.

My god, Deebank and I agree on something!

Excellent reads. Most (all?) are based on actual events in 70s and 80s Norn Ireland, and
all named after lines in Tom Waits songs.

Sadly, the books sold very poorly and he's now turned his hand to Harlen Coben style thriillers
- the first of which is apparently nowhere near as good as the Duffy books and yet has sold
in the squillions.

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 23 Nov 2019, 15:30

Scally Mcgrew wrote:
Lord Rother wrote:I mostly read crime / detective and end of the world books. (When I read, not much recently at all which I regret.)

Michael Connolly
James Lee Burke
George Pelecanos
Peter James
Stuart MacBride
Simon Kernick

Stephen Booth.

Thank you!

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 23 Nov 2019, 15:34

One who is eminently readable, but underrated, due to trashy covers, is James Hadley Chase. McBain I've got loads of. And Simenon.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Flower

Postby Flower » 23 Nov 2019, 16:37

James Lee Burke ... I've read and mostly enjoyed all of his Dave Robicheaux books as well as a few of his other novels. There are aspects of his books that I love such as the love and respect that he has and shows for his raccoon and Snugs the hard bodied white cat, Batiste the elderly guy who runs the bait shop and others as well as his respect for the environment.

The mysteries are complex, the evil ones are very evil and can be far to realistic. Dave knows everyone in the state of Louisiana and most of Mississippi, as well as all or most of their secrets. I wish that they'd stop killing off his wives.

Maybe I'll have an ham and onion sandwich for lunch. ;)

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 23 Nov 2019, 17:52

James Lee Burke paints pictures with his words.

"Welcome to "the dead zone". It's a special place that, unbeknown to himself, every degenerate gambler seeks. Check out the bar at the track after the seventh race. The people there are as happy as satiated hogs. They have lost the grocery money, the rent, the mortgage and car payment, even the vig they owe a shylock. But they're safe now because they have nothing else to lose. They also have the empirical evidence to prove once and for all time that the universe has conspired to cheat and injure them. Their personal failure is God's, not theirs. The soul is packed in dry ice now, the battle is over."

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 23 Nov 2019, 17:53

Powehi wrote:
Deebank wrote:Check out Adrian McKinty’s Sean Duffy novels

Very good indeed.

My god, Deebank and I agree on something!

Excellent reads. Most (all?) are based on actual events in 70s and 80s Norn Ireland, and
all named after lines in Tom Waits songs.

Sadly, the books sold very poorly and he's now turned his hand to Harlen Coben style thriillers
- the first of which is apparently nowhere near as good as the Duffy books and yet has sold
in the squillions.

Well last I heard he had taken a McJob and given up writing altogether - he lives in Aus now - because despite (actually) reasonable sales he wasn’t making any money... however Hollywood bought the rights to one of his books so he’s a writer again.

I couldn’t get on with his books about Irish gangsters in the US and his novel about a murder in a weird religious cult wasn’t that great but the Duffy books are excellent.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Flower

Postby Flower » 23 Nov 2019, 17:54

Martha Grimes ~ Her books are quirky and fun with twists and turns. Thanks to GM and this post, I just checked and found that she has recently had her 25th Richard Jury book published. It somehow slipped by me .. :o

https://www.marthagrimes.com/

Flower

Postby Flower » 23 Nov 2019, 18:04

Lord Rother wrote:James Lee Burke paints pictures with his words.

"Welcome to "the dead zone". It's a special place that, unbeknown to himself, every degenerate gambler seeks. Check out the bar at the track after the seventh race. The people there are as happy as satiated hogs. They have lost the grocery money, the rent, the mortgage and car payment, even the vig they owe a shylock. But they're safe now because they have nothing else to lose. They also have the empirical evidence to prove once and for all time that the universe has conspired to cheat and injure them. Their personal failure is God's, not theirs. The soul is packed in dry ice now, the battle is over."

I agree. I couldn't find the passages that I wanted to quote. Dave is always smelling something, as is Clete.

From Creole Belle “The air smelled like Bayou Teche when it's spring and the fish are spawning among the water hyacinths and the frogs are throbbing in the cattails and the flooded cypress.”

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Postby soundchaser » 23 Nov 2019, 19:39

I’ve never really read a lot of crime fiction, but my wife and I enjoy TV crime thrillers. Vera, is a big favourite.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 24 Nov 2019, 10:09

Powehi

Postby Powehi » 24 Nov 2019, 12:26

Stav Shevez

Don Winslow

Flower

Postby Flower » 25 Nov 2019, 11:48

Lovejoy ~ I loved the television series, never read the books by Jonathan Gash/John Grant.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 25 Nov 2019, 21:18

I live in that world. Crime novels/movies, noir, detective/cop fiction. It's almost all I read when I read fiction, it's practically my fave film genre, etc. Just watched The Friends of Eddie Coyle for the umpteenth time yesterday (finished the book a couple of weeks ago), showed my daughter A Simple Plan last night (I'm currently reading the novel), and who knows what I'll watch this evening? Noir is practically an LA invention, and so many of those stories are set right here in the City of Angels. I guess I got hooked back in the '90s when my then-principal turned me on to Raymond Chandler. I went from there to Ross McDonald, Dashiell Hammett, James M. Cain, Jim Thompson, James Elroy, Mickey Spillane, Leonard, etc. All of the modern guys too: Burke, Crais, Connelly, Child, Christ - I have to keep notes on what I've read so I don't buy the same book twice (something I've done more than once).

And the films? They're peerless. Out of the Past, The Maltese Falcon, Kiss Me Deadly, Double Indemnity, Touch of Evil, The Third Man. I could go on, and on...

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 25 Nov 2019, 21:57

Matt Wilson wrote:I live in that world. Crime novels/movies, noir, detective/cop fiction. It's almost all I read when I read fiction, it's practically my fave film genre, etc. Just watched The Friends of Eddie Coyle for the umpteenth time yesterday (finished the book a couple of weeks ago), showed my daughter A Simple Plan last night (I'm currently reading the novel), and who knows what I'll watch this evening? Noir is practically an LA invention, and so many of those stories are set right here in the City of Angels. I guess I got hooked back in the '90s when my then-principal turned me on to Raymond Chandler. I went from there to Ross McDonald, Dashiell Hammett, James M. Cain, Jim Thompson, James Elroy, Mickey Spillane, Leonard, etc. All of the modern guys too: Burke, Crais, Connelly, Child, Christ - I have to keep notes on what I've read so I don't buy the same book twice (something I've done more than once).

And the films? They're peerless. Out of the Past, The Maltese Falcon, Kiss Me Deadly, Double Indemnity, Touch of Evil, The Third Man. I could go on, and on...

But, importantly, do you guess along, do you try to solve the mysteries? Do you keep assiduous track of the intrigues and all the details?

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 26 Nov 2019, 01:33

Never. I don't notice details in life, so I'd make a lousy detective.