Shouold I report this vet for malpractice?

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Powehi

Shouold I report this vet for malpractice?

Postby Powehi » 15 Nov 2019, 11:58

We recently took our dog to our long-standing vet to have a limp in her leg diagnosed. After a round of X-rays the following week, the vet told us our pet would require surgery (he didn't specify what type) as one of the joints in one of her rear legs was larger than the other.

Having struggled to get hold of the vet to confirm arrangements, he eventually called us back last Friday evening and told us he would text us arrangements to bring the dog in for surgery (type again unspecified) on the Sunday morning.

When no text arrived, I chased him up and was told to bring the dog to a public location in the next town for him to collect. While my wife and I were experiencing growing misgivings about the wisdom of proceeding, the dog had not eaten in readiness for her surgery since midnight on Sat so we took her along.

Given that we had been asked to take the dog to a different town, were naturally anxious to find out who would be operating on our pet and at what surgery. Dissatisfied with the vet's answers to these perfectly reasonable questions, we asked him to call the owner of the practice where we had initially brought the dog for treatment to confirm that everything was OK. When he didn't do so, we refused to proceed with our pet's surgery and took her home.

When I spoke to the temporary receptionist at the surgery the next day, she laughed dismissively and told me any disputes were between the vet and myself.

When I wrote to them with my complaint and told them I would be taking our dog elsewhere for treatment, the senior staff at the surgery didn't seem to be that bothered. While they did give me some records back, they have never bothered to tell me the precise nature of the surgery my dog needed

While my natural inclination is to let the matter drop, am not sure whether they will pull this stunt with someone else's pet(s).

Anyone here think I should take the issue further? If so, who should I contact.

Jimbo

Re: Shouold I report this vet for malpractice?

Postby Jimbo » 15 Nov 2019, 12:09

I think you should be grateful and thanking the veteran for his or her service.
... an essential element of this story being impossible, we cannot take seriously the other elements that are before us ... Thierry Meyssan

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 15 Nov 2019, 12:26

If there’s no injury to the animal, then you’re not going to get far with a malpractice lawsuit. What you have is a complaint.
I wouldn’t hand over my animal to anyone I didn’t know in a public place. Unless you are somewhere rural as hell that all sounds bizarre.
I would ask for a written response to your concerns, and if you don’t get that, then escalate it. It doesn’t seem to me that the vet board would have much to say if the animal never got into their hands.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower

Postby Flower » 15 Nov 2019, 12:34

Kudos for following your gut and not going through with this vet's strange behavior. It is strange but I doubt if it qualifies as malpractice but then again, I'm not an attorney.

Is there a national board of veterinary ethics that you can contact? I know that both the U.S. and Canada have them.

Use social media if you can ...

1. Ask for recommendations for vets in your area.
2. Start a thread on your experience with this vet. You can't be sued for telling the truth and you might help another person/pet avoid heartache.

I sincerely hope that you find a good vet soon and have the best possible outcome Fingers crossed.
If love could've saved you, you would've lived forever.

Powehi

Postby Powehi » 15 Nov 2019, 13:22

Minnie the Minx wrote:If there’s no injury to the animal, then you’re not going to get far with a malpractice lawsuit. What you have is a complaint.
I wouldn’t hand over my animal to anyone I didn’t know in a public place. Unless you are somewhere rural as hell that all sounds bizarre.
I would ask for a written response to your concerns, and if you don’t get that, then escalate it. It doesn’t seem to me that the vet board would have much to say if the animal never got into their hands.

Not interested in suing for damages.

Merely trying to ensure this doesn't happen to someone else.

It's really sad as the practice that this guy works at (he's only recently joined it) has been first rate up to now.

Flower

Postby Flower » 15 Nov 2019, 13:42

I would suggest reporting this vet to the board for these reasons ...

1. Maybe he's done "something" before and it was sort of blown off but now he might be reviewed.
2. Maybe they will blow you off but the incident should go into his file and if there is another complaint, it will/should be looked into.
3. For your own peace of mind.

Neil Jung
Watcher Of The Skies

Postby Neil Jung » 18 Nov 2019, 09:35

I chased him up and was told to bring the dog to a public location in the next town for him to collect.

That seems completely bizarre. Take your custom elsewhere.
It was raining when we drove up the two-lane highway through the long tunnel of trees that led into the black district on the south end of St. Martinville.

Powehi

Postby Powehi » 18 Nov 2019, 11:44

In the process of taking my pet elsewhere as we speak

What really pisses me off is that while I used to be full of praise for the practice in question, they have barely acknowledged the serious concerns about their new vet's lack of concern/transparency I raised last week.

More than a week after I contacted them, they have not been able to tell me how come the vet had quoted me a fee for surgery whose exact nature he still has not specified or talked me through.

Flower

Postby Flower » 19 Nov 2019, 00:43

How is your dog doing? I hope that all is going well.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 19 Nov 2019, 01:15

Flower wrote:Use social media if you can ...

1. Ask for recommendations for vets in your area.
2. Start a thread on your experience with this vet. You can't be sued for telling the truth and you might help another person/pet avoid heartache.

I think this is very good advice. I've seen companies and organizations cave in on social media in NO time. if they have a Facebook page you could get a reaction out of them in pretty short order.
Minnie the Minx wrote:There’s no law that says you can’t have heroin AND bagels! It’s not either or!

Powehi

Postby Powehi » 19 Nov 2019, 08:34

Flower wrote:How is your dog doing? I hope that all is going well.

She's fine, thanks. Hope you got your cat back. The constant uncertainty of not knowing an animal's fate must be worse than the animal's dying in many ways.

Am off to see the new vet (20 kms away vs the old one's 5 kms, but who cares?) for a walk-in interview at LT.

While understand he/she will almost certainly want new X-rays before proceeding, am hoping studying the X-rays from the disgraced vet will be sufficient to determine whether more X-rays are needed (Don't care about the cost, just the discomfort of having to deprive the dog of food overnight).

If it turns out our pet's problem is nothing "worse" than arthritis (already bad enough, I know) and can be treated without surgery, I am going ahead and reporting the former practice.

Flower

Postby Flower » 20 Nov 2019, 11:34

Powehi wrote:
Flower wrote:
She's fine, thanks. Hope you got your cat back. The constant uncertainty of not knowing an animal's fate must be worse than the animal's dying in many ways.

I'm glad that your dog seems to be doing well. We've changed vets in the past for many reasons. The one that we are currently using is only a block and a half away. All our neighbors love him. He's okay but we like the locums that fill in for him much better than him. To give him credit, they are always women locums and when we call and the reception people "warn" us that it will be another vet, we are great with this turn of events.

The uncertainty is tough. We have ads running and posters out all the time. There have been many amazing people trying to help but also more than the fair share of "nuts" emailing about our cat being Chinese food, eaten by coyotes, having a new home .. etc. I've been emailed several times that people are tired of seeing my ads, to give up .. etc.

I guess that I shouldn't be amazed at the amount of sick people out there but they are sometimes balanced by kindness.

Best wishes for the best outcome with your dog.

Powehi

Postby Powehi » 26 Nov 2019, 10:17

Cheers, Flower, sorry to hear your cat is still AWOL. The not knowing and fearing the worst must be worse than actually hearing the worst in many ways. Fingers crossed she'll come back sooner rather than later.

Situation with dog gets more and more convoluted. Last Friday's round of replacement X-rays at the new vet are apparently "inconclusive". Back tomorrow for some kind of scraping cum biopsy of sample matter from the cruciate ligament in her left hind leg. If that doesn't show anything, she may need some exploratory surgery followed by an operation.

The poor dog, who is normally very, very active, is getting sick to death of being unable to do much more than walk up the pavement outside the house on loo breaks - the vet will be pissed as she stressed loo breaks in the garden only.

From the experiences of other animal lovers whose dogs have had similar problems I've read on other forums, the best our poor mutt has to look forward to is a month in a cage with only starvation rations and strictly limited loo breaks to break the monotony.

Certainly don't want to have to put her through the stress of several more visits to the vet. While she always used to be fine going for her annual check up and shots, she now hates going with a passion. Probably because she's now had had three rounds of fasting and two rounds of being drugged and waking up in a cage in the surgery she doesn't know.

Powehi

Postby Powehi » 26 Nov 2019, 10:17

DP

Flower

Postby Flower » 26 Nov 2019, 12:52

Here's hoping for the best possible outcome.